your opinion on the best Passive CPU and VGA coolers?

InCogneato

[H]ard|Gawd
looking to reduce the amount of hot air circulating in my room, wondering what the best Passive CPU and VGA coolers are.

CPU: for Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, etc

VGA: for HD 4850, would prefer one that can be used with Cross Fire. but not necessary.

thanks

edit: either way i want a quiet case

I would say

CPU: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (eXtreme? :p)

VGA: Thermalright HR-03 (Although from what I've read I wouldn't recommend using it without a fan on the newer ATI cards)

You're barking up the wrong tree. The only way to reduce the amount of heat in your room is with air conditioning or by getting PC components that put out less heat. The amount of heat that comes off your computer won't change regardless of what coolers you have on the components.

Zero82z has a point...passive cooling with gain you a much quieter pc, but you will still have the same amount of heat to deal with.

To answer your question though, this is what works for me... ;)
DSCF4177.jpg

Im not running passive because I oc further than passive will handle, however, I could with a milder oc.

That's not going to make your room much cooler. Your CPU and GPU will output the same amount of heat.

if you must know, i think you all are wrong. yes the same amount of heat is being generated, this is obvious. but if you lower or disable case fans and remove heatsink fans from the picture, a lot of that heat will stay trapped in the case and in the metal. it will be radiated heat and wont be immediately pushed out into my room right away with enough force to spread it everywhere, due to how i have things set up.

even if you think im wrong, or even if i am wrong, please dont discuss this here. i would simply like recommendations based on performance ratings, reviews, and bang for the buck. either way i want the case quiet as well.

thanks

even if you think im wrong, or even if i am wrong, please dont discuss this here. i would simply like recommendations based on performance ratings, reviews, and bang for the buck. either way i want the case quiet as well.

The Thermalright HR-01 Plus is probably the best passive CPU cooler. It's designed similarly to the TRUE, except it has fewer fins that are spaced farther apart, there are holes in the surfaces of the fins, and they are rectangular instead of the TRUE's curved design.

As for the video card, the Accelero S1 seems to be able to handle 4850s passively.

You will need airflow in your case however, as even passive coolers can't operate properly if the heat isn't removed. Have at least one intake and one exhaust.

hpim0243dp5.jpg

Take the fans off and enjoy.
I don't think there is a cooler that can passively tame the hd4870 or 4850. My fan stop working today and it was idling at 80c.

I'm also looking to silence my pc.. I love to work in a quiet environment (coding..) and even my S-flex 800 rpms are making enough noise to bug me. I don't mind hdd seek noise or optical, etc.
Problem is, I'm running a q6600 and a 9800gtx, I used to do more gaming but haven't and won't have the time now.

How does a 9800gtx compare to 4850 in thermals? Could I get away with case air flow from 2x120mm fans at low rpms if I keep the HR-03GT on there?

Thanks!

If I was to run all passive, I'd take the ninja all copper for the CPU, and a TR-03 or the Accelero S1 for the VGA.

For X-Fire, the TR-03 is a better fit.

Once the heatsinks become saturated in heat though, you can simply turn off your PC until they cool.

CPU: Scythe Ninja OR Xigmatek HDT (not sure how it runs passive)
GPU: AC Accelero S1

Take the fans off and enjoy.
I don't think there is a cooler that can passively tame the hd4870 or 4850. My fan stop working today and it was idling at 80c.

Put an exhaust fan on your side panel to get hot air out of the VGA general area, and you should get much better temps.

CPU: Scythe Orochi / Thermalright HR-01 Plus
VGA: Accelero S1

My overclocked 4850 idles at 35 degrees and loads (Atitool) at 62 degrees. Passive.

if you must know, i think you all are wrong. yes the same amount of heat is being generated, this is obvious. but if you lower or disable case fans and remove heatsink fans from the picture, a lot of that heat will stay trapped in the case and in the metal. it will be radiated heat and wont be immediately pushed out into my room right away with enough force to spread it everywhere, due to how i have things set up.

thanks
please help me in my quest to defy the laws of thermodynamics!!!!

please help me in my quest to defy the laws of thermodynamics!!!!

according to EnderW, the laws of the thermodynamics state that generated heat is actively trying to force itself out of confinement and systematically spreads itself through every crevice in an attempt to spread itself as far as possible

according to EnderW, the laws of the thermodynamics state that generated heat is actively trying to force itself out of confinement and systematically spreads itself through every crevice in an attempt to spread itself as far as possible

Well he is mostly right. Fact is with no fans, the items in the case generate more heat because of higher temps, causing them to lose effeciency and draw more power, creating more heat (up to a point). Its only a few watts, but its more than the power draw that you would get from a couple fans. All that heat still ends up right around where you physically have the case located, regardless of if you have a case fan blowing it around or not. So basically you can get some silent fans and have a cooler running PC that pushes a bit of air out the back, or you can have a hot brick of a computer sitting there which actually is going to radiate more heat overall. As far as keeping the room cool goes, i'd go with the more efficiently running hardware with some case fans.

Feel free to try this out for yourself if you do not believe it. You can measure power draw on a PC with a fixed load in a AC room, then move the PC into a hot room and block off some of the fans, the power draw will go up a bit.

He's right about that, too. Energy flows from hot to cold. Even if you don't have any fans in your system, the heat will still leave it. Energy naturally spreads throughout a closed system. Your computer is an open system, however your room is more of a closed system (unless you leave your door and window(s) open all the time, in which case you'd actually be getting rid of more heat by having fans in your case).

Your room may end up taking longer to heat up if you go all passive, but it will eventually heat up to the same temperatures it does with fans. The only way to reduce the temperature in your room is by either expelling the heat or absorbing it with something. Basically, blow the hot air out of your room or get an air conditioner.

I've been thinking of getting an Accelero S1 for my bfg 7900gs to quiet it down a bit. Has anyone had trouble or should it fit fine?

Gotta say I think its a bad idea to not have some case fans, as you are going to end up subjecting your components to unnecessary heat.

However, if you MUST go through with it, my choice would be the IFX-14 or HR-01 Plus.

Accelero S1 for video, HR-03 or Scythe Ninja on the cpu. Keep in mind you will need case fans for a set up like this.

Back