• LED-backlit IPS TFT used in iPhone 5

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • True HD-IPS + LCD used in LG Optimus G

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

maverick786us

2[H]4U
What kind of screen type will you prefer for your smartphones? Is it

1) Super AMOLED which consumes minimum power and has crystal clear display technology Example Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note 1&2 and Lumia 900 or is it. I've heard that AMOLED screens are not good for sunlight visibility compared to treditional LCD screens. But some time back i read an article which stated that Lumia 900 has best sunlight visibility. Although Lumia 920 will take that crown soon

2) IPS TFT PureMotion HD+ having clear black technology which has pixel updates 2.5X faster than treditional LCD screens and also britest screen with super sensitive touch. I don't know how good it is in terms of power efficiency when compared with SAMOLED.

3) LED-backlit IPS TFT, capacitive touchscreen presently used in iPhone 5.

4) True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen used in LG Optimus G.

I don't know much about the last 2 screens. What kind of display will you prefer for your smartphones?

Last edited:
I've use the Retina display on my iPhone 4 and the Super AMOLED on my Gnex. The Super AMOLED is the winner hands down. OLED is came a long way and I love how it has infinite contrast. So sexy.

Retina is pretty great too but Apple is charging quite the premium for it.

I'm not that thrilled about my Galaxy S screen nor my brothers GS2. It has few annoyances so I pick the glorified IPS that is in Lumia 920.

Galaxy and GS2 both use old low res screens.. not really a good example. How anyone could still prefer IPS is beyond me unless you need it to be bright beyond belief. There is a reason 50" OLED costs near $10000 and the same LCD $500..

Last edited:
This post is not about screen resolution, or size or aspect ratio. It is about the technology that is used behind the construction of a display.

Regarding that most of your choices are all the same thing with marketing added they are just IPS.. however there are different kinds of AMOLED (pentile, rgb)

Galaxy and GS2 both use old low res screens.. not really a good example. How anyone could still prefer IPS is beyond me unless you need it to be bright beyond belief. There is a reason 50" OLED costs near $10000 and the same LCD $500..

Burn in and "memory" are huge disadvantages for OLED. It is not ideal for solid colours either.

I like the Super AMOLED on my GNex, though it definitely has uniformity issues and some slight burn in (not noticeable in normal useage). The screen on the GS3 seems even better but I haven't used one for extended amounts of time. Pentile vs RGB stripe is pretty much a moot point at the resolutions in use these days

I still love my Atrix screen, which is essentially IPS (one of the originals!).

I've had a few phones, Apple screens look ok, they aren't bad but at the same time I didn't "wow" over retina either. Seeing the GS3 in action I would definitly use that over anything. I'll wait to play with my friends iPhone5 before I declare it a clear winner.

Burn in and "memory" are huge disadvantages for OLED. It is not ideal for solid colours either.

Burn-in? Sorry but zero burn in on my AMOLED. And there will be zero burn in issues with OLED TV's.

Plasma and CRT's stuffered from what you refer to as "burn-in". OLED has some small image retention which is totally different. Burn-in is perma , image retention goes away.

Burn-in? Sorry but zero burn in on my AMOLED. And there will be zero burn in issues with OLED TV's.

Plasma and CRT's stuffered from what you refer to as "burn-in". OLED has some small image retention which is totally different. Burn-in is perma , image retention goes away.

This.

The plus for AMOLED is the blacks, which are nuts. The drawback is uniformity.

Plasma's no longer suffer from burn in, but I know what you are refering to.

Still my prefered TV panel though.

I like IPS much much more than any OLED type panel I have seen to date. The One X and iPhone 4/S all look much sharper and more natural to me than the AMOLED in my GNex. I feel like the grays are a little washed out on my Gnex though the black is black but the color is over saturated, too warm for my taste. Then again I am used to my Computer monitors that all use IPS.

I've read that AMOLED screens are famous for power efficiency. So in terms of power efficiency how much would a Super AMOLED HD+ will be better compared to an IPS TFT PureMotion HD+ with Clear Black technology used in Lumia 920.

For instance if both the displays are used with a 2000 mAh battery how much difference will it make with battery consumption?

It depends what you look at on screen. If the screen is whit then power consumption is going to be massive on OLED screen. If it's mostly dark then it shines.

@Godmachine
Good for you. Your experience with it doesn't meant that the problems do not exist.

So how will you classify smarphone displays?

Super AMOLED (Pentile, e.g. GS3, Galaxy Nexus)
Super AMOLED Plus (RGB stripe, e.g. GS2, Lumia 900)
Super AMOLED (funky 3-subpixels variant on the Galaxy Note II)
IPS LCD (e.g. iPhone 4)
Super LCD (e.g. HTC Rezound)
Super LCD2 (e.g. HTC One X)
TN LCD (e.g. iPhone 3GS)
Transflective LCD (e.g. Xiaomi phone? Various Nokias?)
E-paper (e.g. Motofone F3)

Last edited:
I think samoled looks the best but I wouldn't use the technology on my computer monitor...can't seem to put a finger on it but ips panels feel a lot more natural and easier on the eyes.

of course IPS , doesn't matter LG, nokia or who , it must be IPS. because only IPS matrix has natural colors

I think samoled looks the best but I wouldn't use the technology on my computer monitor...can't seem to put a finger on it but ips panels feel a lot more natural and easier on the eyes.

It's because it is. SAMOLED is pretty notorious for oversaturation and tinted white levels. Some people swear by it, and they either don't know and don't care, or know and don't care enough. Images on screen just don't look like what I'm looking at.

lol all current phones LED backlighting and it has been that way for YEARS. CCFL is not pratical on such devices due to size constraints.....

Back