Your Thoughts: RAID 5 SSD (3+ Disks)

chanchan

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some thoughts and opinions on a multiple SSD configuration, or possibly just going with a single bigger SSD.

With BlackFriday deals going on, I have the option to buy some larger 500 GB drives or a bunch of 250 GB drives.

I have a Z77 motherboard and it supports RAID 5 up to 6x disks. I'm thinking if it's worth it to buy 3x or 4x Samsung EVO 850 250 GB drives and throw them into a RAID 5 config. I get some performance improvement with 1 disk redundancy.

What are you thoughts, is this configuration worth it, or should I just a single 500 GB and call it the day?

Thanks in advance :)

I would value simplicity over the extra speed unless you are doing video editing with large files or something that needs the extra bandwidth.

I just bought a 1tb drive and called it a day, it reads around 400 MB/s when I'm validating files.

You're not going to get any performance improvement running RAID 5 off Intel's integrated controller. Probably the opposite.

Seems pretty pointless to me. e-peen extension at best.

My advice, get 1 good NVME ssd and a mainboard that can work with it if you really need the speed. Otherwise, don't bother.

If you are hell-bent on spending your ca$h:
Raid 10 will be a better fit with the onboard intel controller anyway, but then you need even more drives.

Unless you're doing very data intensive workloads, the difference is not noticeable.

it helps with large file loads, scanning the whole drive, and more. it has its usage.

I have some high DOF raw images that are 1GB+ plus if you do regular scans of your data using AV/AM it can reduce down time by a lot.

If you need/want the parity, then go for it. If not, then get a single large drive.

I ended up buying a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive from Newegg Cyber Monday :)

Thanks for everyone's input!

Back