Your Very Best of 2005

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm going to cut the "post your best" sticky loose and start a new "post a pic" for 2006. However, thought I'd offer up a chance for everyone to show off their best pics for last year.

My favorites from last year:

entrpriz.jpg

loons2.jpg

hunter2.jpg

lily.jpg

grenworm.jpg

fly1.jpg

Ah here are a couple that turned out nice. I have a few more but, havent looked at them yet.
52843827-M.jpg

The rain bow turned out better than I thought it would. It was real close for a change.
52843834-M.jpg

I had a tough time picking one.

The first three came from a day of driving around and visiting a park across the river in Minnesota:

MinnWoods001.JPG

MinnWoods002.JPG

MR2atthepark001.JPG

These next two are from the local air show. We have a very small airport (2 gates, lol) but they always manage to bring in either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds:

AirSmall116.JPG

AirSmall004.JPG

clockworks said:
How was picture taken, can you post the exif?

Are you running Windows?
Right-click ... save as ... right click the saved pic ... properties ... Summary ... advanced

Camera Manufacturer : Canon
Camera Model : Canon EOS 20D
Orientation : top, left
X Resolution : 1/72
Y Resolution : 1/72
Resolution Unit : Inches
Software : Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date/Time : 2005:08:22 21:37:08
YCBCr Positioning : Datum Point
Exposure Time : 1/400 sec
F Number : 6.3
Exposure Program : Manual
ISO Speed : 100
Exif Version : 0221
Date/Time Original : 2005:08:22 07:16:49
Date/Time Digitized : 2005:08:22 07:16:49
Exposure Bias Value : 0.0
Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Flash : Unknown
Focal Length : 200.0 mm
Flash Pix Version : 0100
ColorSpace : 1
Width : 800 pixels
Height : 533 pixels

Urbanace said:
Are you running Windows?
Right-click ... save as ... right click the saved pic ... properties ... Summary ... advanced

Camera Manufacturer : Canon
Camera Model : Canon EOS 20D
Orientation : top, left
X Resolution : 1/72
Y Resolution : 1/72
Resolution Unit : Inches
Software : Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Date/Time : 2005:08:22 21:37:08
YCBCr Positioning : Datum Point
Exposure Time : 1/400 sec
F Number : 6.3
Exposure Program : Manual
ISO Speed : 100
Exif Version : 0221
Date/Time Original : 2005:08:22 07:16:49
Date/Time Digitized : 2005:08:22 07:16:49
Exposure Bias Value : 0.0
Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Flash : Unknown
Focal Length : 200.0 mm
Flash Pix Version : 0100
ColorSpace : 1
Width : 800 pixels
Height : 533 pixels

Didn't know that, live and learn. Thanks.

clockworks said:
Didn't know that, live and learn. Thanks.

I used a nd filter to get that exposure. 4x I think, maybe a 2. I used PS to adjust the size, and clean up a little noise.

I'm not sure it's the best photo I took last year, but it's the one that I enjoyed the most.

By the way, if you're tired of seeing excessively large photos in these threads and are a Firefox user, throw something like this in your userContent.css:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(hardforum.com) {
    img { max-width: 750px; }
}

HorsePunchKid said:
By the way, if you're tired of seeing excessively large photos in these threads and are a Firefox user, throw something like this in your userContent.css:

Code:
@-moz-document domain(hardforum.com) {
    img { max-width: 750px; }
}

Awesome. Thanks.

these are not so much my best of 05 but more my personal favorites. photos spawn emotion and all of these photos take me to a time that i really enjoyed in 05 and since i am new around here i figured i would share a couple.

the joys of downtown life...pigeons everywhere including looking in my window to see what i am up to
fav05-1.jpg

this was one of the photos from a series i did of bikes stuck in snow banks in the winter of 05 for a city project
fav05-2.jpg

it was a great day at an early season ball game and i caught one of my favorite players jacque jones 'discussing' the
game with some fans of the other team. when he caught me photographing the exchange i got this smile and nod.

fav05-3.jpg

of the thousands of photos i took of mustang athletics in 05 this was probably the best day and one of the best photos
from that day. us photogs on the sidelines on this day were spending more time messing around and not enough time shooting.

fav05-4.jpg

thanx for looking and if any Western alumni want to see more of the big purple machine, i have plenty more to show off.

jayjaya29 said:
Wow sweet shots dude. What camera you using?
thanx but its not about the camera, more the lens. to answer your question though, canon 20D for all of them with an assorment of lenses. there should be EXIF data for all the photos posted if you want any more details. for those Firefox users, i highly suggest downloading the FxIF extension which will provide all EXIF info on photos by right-clicking and going to properties.

Summer will kick in soon, I hope to get some more interesting storms... maybe some waterspouts/tornados etc.

nweibley said:

Summer will kick in soon, I hope to get some more interesting storms... maybe some waterspouts/tornados etc.
YW
You and, me both. This summer I have a few projects going on in the Monument Valley area and, Im hoping for some good storms there as well.
Tomorrow I plan on getting some good snow shots finally this year. :D

PS-RagE - that shot of the two black/white birds (ducks?) is amazing.

nweibley - that pic of the lightning is out of this world.

No real time for photography lately (and I think I've already shown everyone some of my best pics of 2005).

In July, I get to go to Cape May for my friend's wedding. Hope it's scenic, since it's right on the ocean.

clockworks said:
Aweseome pic. What settings/camera did you use for this pic (the exif isn't showing even with PS)?

Glad you like it clockworks! :) It was shot with an old DRebel (300D), with a 17-40 L lens at 40mm. It was shot in aperture priority at f/8, shutter speed was 1/50th of a second. Eposure compensation was set to -2/3 stop to account for metering around the setting sun. ISO 100.

I am new at this, but here are some of the pics that I like from last year. If anyone has any tips on how to improve on them (either by using PS or by doing something different next time) Let me know. I know there is a lot of noise in one of them, and hopefully my new camera will take care of that (I used an A70 for these, but I am switching to a finepix s5200)

The Andes
Old Church in Santiago, Chile
Flower
After the storm
Pelican
Pelican 2

Pelicans 3

Back