Your Wired Keyboard Leaks Information

HardOCP News

[H] News
Psst, hey, you…your wired keyboard is letting people spy on you.

They've found four different ways to listen in, including one previously-published general vulnerability, on eleven keyboard models ranging from 2001 to 2008, with PS/2, USB and laptop keyboards all falling to at least one of the four attacks. The attack works through walls, as far as 65 feet away, and analyzes a wide swath of electromagnetic spectrum to get its results.

I've learned that nothing electronic or magnetic is secure due to an infinite capacity to read energy & extract whatever one pleases from it. This includes the human mind as well and one day we won't even be able to protect our thoughts...

That is funny. The sooner people realize that nothing is safe the better it is going to be for the all of us.

scientifically is seems inevitable that we will be able to read thoughts. disturbing...

Then why does my wireless keyboard not work from 2 feet away! LOL... Just need a wired one and it can work across the parking lot...

Van Eck fields and "phreaking" have been commonplace knowledge in the community for nearly 30 years now, this is nothing new... move along, nothing to be seen here, move along... :rolleyes:

I've learned that nothing electronic or magnetic is secure due to an infinite capacity to read energy & extract whatever one pleases from it. This includes the human mind as well and one day we won't even be able to protect our thoughts...

stop scaring me.

Hey hackers.. read what I'm typing now.

F U C K Y O U

Then why does my wireless keyboard not work from 2 feet away! LOL... Just need a wired one and it can work across the parking lot...

I want to know this, and I want to know it right Fing na;lklkhcxoih anh;welrase6816865
Damn distance :mad:

while im sure this works nice in a faraday cage with no interference, try it in a computer lab.

Van Eck fields and "phreaking" have been commonplace knowledge in the community for nearly 30 years now, this is nothing new... move along, nothing to be seen here, move along... :rolleyes:

Thirty years ago people didn't give as shit what you were feeding into your punch card reader :p

anyone watch that show Fringe on FOX? lol

Yes, gotta love the crazy old scientist.

The military has been in the business a lot longer than any hackers. I'm pretty sure this is all child's play to them. One of their biggest worries is protecting themselves.

Thirty years ago people didn't give as shit what you were feeding into your punch card reader :p

Don't know about you, sonny, but I had those newfangled PC-things myself. And I don't mean Punch Cards either, bub. :D

TINFOIL HATS ON GUYS :rolleyes:

the videos show the keyboard plugged into a closed powered down laptop and they remove the ac adapter and monitor to prevent interference. How effective is this on a desktop computer with keyboard and power cables next to next other with a 500W+ psu and a lcd screen that is on? Who types on computer with a screen that is off anyhow?

The NSA has been doing this for years... It's important to understand nothing is secure, and it's even more important to understand that everything should be shared. We, as the human race, are in this together. Share everything you can.

TINFOIL HATS ON GUYS :rolleyes:

Anyone have a link the study that showed tin foil hats make it easier to pick up brain waves remotely?

Stimulating different parts of people's brains magnetically has been shown to alter mood. If they stimulate the temporal lobe they can even make you have the MOST spiritual experience of your life.

I often wonder if the men who would have been prophets in an earlier time actually suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy...

Where is your tin foil hat now?

I would worry about people reading my brainwaves except that I have yet to find anyone important who gives a s@#t what I think.

The NSA has been doing this for years... It's important to understand nothing is secure, and it's even more important to understand that everything should be shared. We, as the human race, are in this together. Share everything you can.

i hope your wife or g/f is hot :) share away!

That's an awesome oscilloscope he has, i wish mine was that cool >.>

It looked like a spectrum analyzer to me..

I only watched the first two videos, but in each of those they made the keyboard cord into a single loop. If you twist your cable a couple of times they'll have considerably less success.

I read something similar in a novel onetime about 4 years ago. I think it was Michael Crichton's "State of Fear". But instead of typing on a keyboard it was displaying what was on the monitor. Like JoeA said, I would think this has been around for a long time.

Hey Drakan290. Excellent comment. It really adds to the conversation. Keep up the good work.

Are there wired keyboards that encrypt your keystrokes? If this attack has been known about for a long time and is effective I would imagine that there is some sort of countermeasure available.

So what your trying to say is that purchasing our fancy bluetooth/wireless keyboards was a complete waste? and i could've just cut the cord on my old wired one and get a software update? :p

Are there wired keyboards that encrypt your keystrokes? If this attack has been known about for a long time and is effective I would imagine that there is some sort of countermeasure available.

Everything with electricity running through it generates an EMF pulse of some kind, so... encrypted keyboards that encrypt keystrokes, that's cute.

The issue at hand is 'decoding' the EMF pulses. Technology already has devices that can detect heartbeats from 50 yards away (military used/uses that stuff first, of course, then law enforcement, etc), so it's just a matter of time before we finally get to a point where we can decode actual brainwave activity also. Sooner or later we'll be controlling devices and functions with simple thoughts...

Brings the movie Firefox to mind with Clint Eastwood and the thought-controlled weapons system... "реактивный снаряд пожара" ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0e4hw_VbXA

Engage bedroom shield.

normal_6.jpg

Could just put shielding in your walls.

Obviously every electrical device has electromagnetic output that can be used to "read" whatever it is doing. However, I always assumed if someone tried to read this they would pickup so much other stuff/static(ZOMG the earth has magnetic fields) that it wouldn't be practical.

Can anyone confirm this is actually practical? I have a hard time believing it...seeing as how I've had trouble using a compass to measure electrical current(which is extremely simple) do to interference.

That is so cool. My strategy for information protection is apathy. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

why was the dude typing so slowly in the video?

does this trick not work when you're typing 80 words per minute?

Back