[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

Test the PSU first without the 5850 and then with it. But I'd say it's very possible that the mobo didn't like the current draw of the Q6700...

I had the same system running on that Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU for over 2 months before change to SG06. I played COD:MW2, COD:Word At War, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2 and other games without any problems. When changing to SG06, only thing that changed was the PSU. 10 minutes of heavy gaming and mobo died. If current draw of Q6700 was too much I think it should have died during that 2 months.

I had the same system running on that Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU for over 2 months before change to SG06. I played COD:MW2, COD:Word At War, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, Supreme Commander 2 and other games without any problems. When changing to SG06, only thing that changed was the PSU. 10 minutes of heavy gaming and mobo died. If current draw of Q6700 was too much I think it should have died during that 2 months.

You had the Zotac board with this setup?

You had the Zotac board with this setup?

Yes.

edit:

Test the PSU first without the 5850 and then with it. [...]

I tested the system with asus board and SG06 PSU. No boot if 5850 was installed and display got no signal. Without graphics card, using IGP of asus board, no problems. So it seems that PSU is partially damaged also.

Last edited:
Only problems I keep seeing with DFI and Zotac is that people keep trying to OC with the things, even though they are not designed for such activity. I built 3 MITX Zotac machines and the only one to come back was the one the 'Overclocker' kid has.

I would take a long good hard look at cooling the VRMs on those boards.

Yes.

edit:

I tested the system with asus board and SG06 PSU. No boot if 5850 was installed and display got no signal. Without graphics card, using IGP of asus board, no problems. So it seems that PSU is partially damaged also.

It might not be damaged, but Q6700 + 5850 is pushing it probably. It probably struggled with this kind of load, which in turn help fry the board (PSU failing to regulate current under high load or something).
I must say I am a little surprised but at the same time you are playing with fire by using a notoriously power-hungry processor and a mid-high end GPU with this PSU.

Only problems I keep seeing with DFI and Zotac is that people keep trying to OC with the things, even though they are not designed for such activity. I built 3 MITX Zotac machines and the only one to come back was the one the 'Overclocker' kid has.

I would take a long good hard look at cooling the VRMs on those boards.
Well the DFI 1156 board is supposed to be able to OC and it does...somewhat.

Well the DFI 1156 board is supposed to be able to OC and it does...somewhat.

I have thaty one and it does! But once again ONLY if you got VRM cooling!

It's the fact that these boards are usually rammed into tiny boxes.

Hardly any air flow. Would be nice if Salman or someone made VRM coolers that did not suck and were not huge.

the DFI does overclock fine un to 180BCLK inside the SG05 with an i5 750. I have one but I wasn't comfortable with the PWM temps at 80s when doing prime95 so I lowered to 150BCLK 1500Mhz RAM and turbo.

That is enough for almost anything at 1080p with a 5770 :D

Okay, I had this completely out-of-the blue thought. What if I mount a sythe slim fan beween the SG06 faceplate and put the H50 where the 120mm fan should mount
Kinda like how cyberpower butchered the SG05 but with a SG06 faceplate
02_400.jpg

2 questions, will a slim fan fit in that gap and would there be enough airflow.

Opinions would be helpful, I'd just love to have a H50+ 3.5" hddrive.

You'd have no airflow on that build, a slim fan between the front panel and the chasis (as the H2O)

Last edited:
I have an SG05 and i'm looking to upgrade my video card, currently its a GTS250.

In the last few pages I see people saying the 5870 won't fit without mods, but the 5850 seems to fit without issue.

My question is, will the 5830? I see no definitive answers on exactly how long the card is.

I was thinking this card as the plastic fan cover doesn't extend past the pcb and the PCI-E connectors are pointing upwords. (like my current GTS250)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125317

Rest of the system is the classic Zotac 9300ITX, e5200, 1tb samsung F1 and a slim dvd on the stock psu.

oh yeah i remembered that the toxic doesn't have those 'vents' that stick out of the PCB. That's why its shorter and fits without mods.
Yeah I know. The 5850 Toxic must be shorter then...

Last edited:
oh yeah i remembered that the toxic doesn't have those 'vents' that stick out of the PCB. That's why its shorter and fits without mods.

I have just built my sg05 and the 5850 toxic does not fit. I dremeled a hole in the front, routed the power cables through the bottom unused hole back into the case. And even then the front bulges a bit and the card itself bends.

Can I trim down the 6-pin power connectors safely? Or is there another solution? Because I don't feel at ease with a bending pcb..

I swear I saw a pic of someone with a Vapor-X 5850 in an SG05 and it fits without modding. Perhaps it was the SG06 afterall (I didn't realise it was 5mm longer. Wish I'd known that before).

Anyway, the card itself fits nicely in the SG05, but I couldn't install it with the power connectors attached (as the other person said). They wouldn't physically fit. I had to cut a small section (about 2 x 3cm) out of the front chassis, and then looped the power connectors through pre-cut hole at the bottom.

I also had to trim down the plastic on the connectors so the faceplate wouldn't bulge out.

I'll try and get pics up if you're still interested (although it looks like a car wreck).

P.S. I don't have a dremel, so I used one of those old style can openers. Worked a treat!

Hopefully pics come soon

I have just built my sg05 and the 5850 toxic does not fit. I dremeled a hole in the front, routed the power cables through the bottom unused hole back into the case. And even then the front bulges a bit and the card itself bends.

Can I trim down the 6-pin power connectors safely? Or is there another solution? Because I don't feel at ease with a bending pcb..

I shaved off loads of the plastic around the connecter to ease a bending PCB on my build. You can take a fair amount off - just be careful and go slow - making sure you're not leaving any of the wires shorting out. A nice sharp craft knife does the trick but again go careful.

I'm not sure if the toxic 5850 is longer than a reference 5850, but i just installed my Diamond 5850 in my SG05 and it fits without bending.

Things to note:
1. PCI-E connectors do not hit case, the cables are bent 90degrees though.
2. Take the 120mm fan out and go from the side. Slide back in first, then front and done.
3. The stock psu in the SG05 only has 1x PCI-E 6pin adapter. I had to use a Y splitter to get enough molex's for the video card and dvd drive.

I may be looking for another solution for #3 though, as it's extremely cramped now.

Pic(s) shortly.

Is the reference cooler that much of an issue? I was intending on purchasing the Vapor-X edition for a SG05 due to the potential cooling limitations. If the reference's card's temp remains manageable, I'll pull the trigger on the Batmobile card than the Bat-Tumbler

What CPU are you using? did you read my post about power consumption?

Well with a Quad it will be pushing your luck unless you got for the 450w psu. a GTS250 at a mild 150BCLK OC was pushing 340w from the power outlet. Had to lower voltage and do some stability tests to lower closer to PSU spec on furmark+occt.

Obviously that's not normal usage but is a possible usage scenario and has to be considered.

Maybe the 5850 is more frugal than a GTS250?

Last edited:
I can't comment much on the temps of the card vs the toxic. Currently my card is setting at 35c idle. I just got out of a 4hr WoW raid without issues, then again I'm only running a e5200 cpu.

At any rate, found a few solutions to my molex problem. Hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Sata II to 4pin Power Adapter

Sata Data and Power Combo (sata style adapter)

Single 6pin to Dual 6pin PCI-E

Hey wes, can you post some pics of the 5850 in the sg05? Currently, I am working on a push pull coolit eco setup using two slim 120mm fans. While I am happy with my hd 4770,I might consider an upgrade to the 5850 in the near future(In a year...;)).

i currentley have this case with a 5770, but interested in getting the new power supply and a 5850, would this 5850 fit in the case its the new Asus HD 5850 DirectCU . I havnt been able to find out wether the card is bigger than the referance design

thanks for your help,

Hey wes, can you post some pics of the 5850 in the sg05? Currently, I am working on a push pull coolit eco setup using two slim 120mm fans. While I am happy with my hd 4770,I might consider an upgrade to the 5850 in the near future(In a year...;)).

Yea, I'll try getting it posted tonight, between being sick and out of town for work its been pretty crazy past few days.

fireisdangerous,
I'm not sure about the Asus card, i thought about it as before i bought mine as it was the only one i could find in stock. IIRC, i did read a review that said it was slightly longer.

Got a question for you SG05 owners who their cases are black. Did you get them powder coated or did you spray paint it yourself? Plus if you did, how much did it cost you?

Yeah, sorry. I meant the inside. I seen 2 cases throughout this thread showing an all black (internal) SG05 and was curious if they painted it or got it powder coated. My bad. I probably should of been a little more informative on the initial post. :)

Well with a Quad it will be pushing your luck unless you got for the 450w psu. a GTS250 at a mild 150BCLK OC was pushing 340w from the power outlet. Had to lower voltage and do some stability tests to lower closer to PSU spec on furmark+occt.

Obviously that's not normal usage but is a possible usage scenario and has to be considered.

Maybe the 5850 is more frugal than a GTS250?
Yeah, I think the 450w PSU needs to become a standard in the SG05 and SG06. The new video cards are just being lame.

By the way, the SG06 and SG05 and not any different in internal dimensions for that person saying it was 5mm longer. The extra length is from the front bezel.

I have to chime in on the power draw people are talking about. I used a Zalman 3rd generation fan controller that reports total wattage used from the outlet and it would show 193 watts at idle. The PC is a i7 920 overclocked to 3.8GHz with 6GB of Mushkin on an eVGA X58 LE motherboard, with an XFX 5870. I was running 1 HD and 1 DVD Writer.

Anyways when I would play Call of Duty 4 or run 3DMark Vantage it would shoot up to 313 watts of power coming from the outlet. So I would believe a 450 Watt power supply should handle the SG05. The question is how well the efficiency is on it. :)

I have to chime in on the power draw people are talking about. I used a Zalman 3rd generation fan controller that reports total wattage used from the outlet and it would show 193 watts at idle. The PC is a i7 920 overclocked to 3.8GHz with 6GB of Mushkin on an eVGA X58 LE motherboard, with an XFX 5870. I was running 1 HD and 1 DVD Writer.

Anyways when I would play Call of Duty 4 or run 3DMark Vantage it would shoot up to 313 watts of power coming from the outlet. So I would believe a 450 Watt power supply should handle the SG05. The question is how well the efficiency is on it. :)

Unfortunately, that Zalman 3rd Gen fan controller was more than likely not any better than the cheaper $20 Kill-A-Watt that people use to measure power usage. As such, those wattage numbers should be taken with a grain of salt as most of those cheap power measurement devices are inaccurate at times.

Back