[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

I undervolted the 2500K (from 1,15V to 1,04V), saving some precious 12A, so it might help the psu

thats interesting. personally i would go with an "s" class quad but i think you got better results with a little tweaking :cool:

i almost went with the 580/"s" combo in the begining of the year but i decided to postpone it, mainly because of all ive read about the ss 450W version, i could do a ATX mod but i dont want it that way :(

OH JEEZ
I've come here to commiserate that threading the slim dvdburner's teeny tiny eyeglass-sized screws through the drive 'sled' with its holes that cause it to fall out and be lost is a harrowing exercise in steel nerves and eagle vision.

Here is my build using this small and excellent case, I have modified it using a lot of ideas in this thread and looking at HaxEJxuKs build.

System specs:
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel i5 760
Corsair 4 GB CL9 1333MHz DDR3
EVGA GTX 570
Intel 510 250 GB SSD
Antec Kuhler H20 620 (Push configuration)
Corsair HX 650W

Other parts used:
Lian Li PE-01 Power Supply Extension Bracket
Scythe Slip Stream 1200RPM 120mm Slim Case Fan

I have mounted a Antec Kuhler 620 on the top of the case (exhausting hot air out using the fan that came with the water cooler) and used a slim scythe fan in the front of the case as a intake fan.

It was a close fit to the ATX PSU and the GTX 570 I fitted in the case as well, but it was sure worth it ;).

Here is some pictures:

Xfinity_SG05_1.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_2.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_3.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_4.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_5.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_8.jpg

Xfinity_SG05_9.jpg

I need to change the power button, its not the best thing Silverstone made :(.

Last edited:
Is it just me or are the dual 6 pin connectors on the PSU(for the graphics card) REALLY hard to take out and sleeve??

I've done the rest of the cables with ease, but for some reason I can't take out the pins off these connectors. I have used staples and a tool from frozencpu, but no dice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

you maimed it! oh, the poor little thing! :D

and also.. GOOD JOB, it looks clean enough, i wouldnt dare because here (brasil) its boring as hell to do all the things required to import an SG05 (plus with taxes and everything it ended up costing about U$300 for the 300W version ^^)

Haha, I suppose I did maim it! Of course, if that alone didn't do it, I'm sure my new paintjob did!

6.jpg

9.jpg

WOW that looks awesome!! very clean looks almos stock

Thanks!

@jamesman32 a Awsome build!!!, love what u did with the gpu mod in the front, it allmost seems original :)

Thanks! The idea for the hole came from another SG05 user from OCForums. I used his mod pictures to get the measurements and fit just the way I wanted so it was less of an "experiment".

Now thats a sweet clean mod! Very nice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Finally, my build is done. I'll have to disassemble and redo it since the CPU heatsink may not have sat properly--running too hot (50-60C idle) so I just threw another Noctua 120mm fan in there sitting precariously on the heatsink without secured in any way.

fronthco.jpg

topbp.jpg

insidec.jpg

I've been wondering the idea of building an itx system since I sold my atx tower few weeks ago. I only used a single graphics card, so there was too much free space for my liking. Also the fans needed to blow such air volume that ended bothering me when I needed to be focused at working time.

Then I realized about ITX universe, so here I am!

My first thought was to wait until Bulldozer and radeon 7000 series go out, but because of the "bad" news I decided to move over and build a nice gaming/workstation machine.

I'm studying design and need to work with 3ds and CS flawlessly, but I'm also a gamer and didn't want to sacrifice my hobby putting in a Quadro/Firepro card.
Without more delay I put my specs:

Silverstone sugo05 450w (hope to run without chirpling noise, otherwise SS are working on a 2.0 silenced version that's about to be released in the following months)

Asrock Z68m-itx (for what i've read is the best for the price, though you can't do propper ocing because of the voltage regulation, hope future bioses will fix this issues. Indeed I wanted gigabyte's z68, but it was cancelled maybe forever , so.. -.-)

Intel Xeon e3 1230 (I know its OC blocked, but I buyed at amazon for 195e, and the 2500k was at 192e, so for the poor overclock I could do with the board I can get a rock-solid cpu with HT and rendering programs. Also, it has lower power comsumption that will save some ampers for a powerful gpu in future. And as its cooler than an 2500k maybe I could keep the stock cooler without much noise.

Sapphire 5850 (I got it for 90e refurbished, hope it will work well. It's a temporary card, waiting for the 7000 and 6xx series or maybe an cheaper EVGA 580.)

2x4gb Corsir Vengeance 1600 CL9 (nice refrigerated and oc friendly)

WD scorpio black 500gb (little, low powered, silence and fast )

my thoughs on this build are to put an SSD in the future (crucial m4 128 probably), change the GPU for a bad ass one, and try to sell the cpu adn get an Ivy Bridge compatible processor when they are out, followed by a Corsair h80 or alike. I know we don't know for sure if asrock Z68 itx will have support for those.

So that's all guys, sorry for the brick , hope to have a nice time here. I'll post photos of the build soon.

Has anyone made a shroud for the GPU fan(s) like the foam one provided on the SG07? If so, how effective has it been? I have the feeling that my 560Ti reference card is pulling in just as much hot air as cold, especially given that the venting stops 2/3rd of the way down the fan. I'm thinking of putting a fan shroud in and opening an 80mm hole in the side of the case.

Also.... my PSU is running inverted, because its quieter under load that way, and I get the feeling that the space underneath it has become a bit of a heat trap, particularly next to the graphics card. I have seen someone place 3x50mm fans in this area. If anyone has done a mod like this, has it been effective?

Another question, now that I have your attention,.. my PSU is a chirper... is there any solution to this other than an RMA? I'd hate to be PSUless for a couple of weeks... is it something I can live with?

Last edited:
This thread seems to have died a bit...

Anywho, has anyone found a use for the 80mmX10mm slot at the front of the case? I may pop in a couple of USB ports if nothing else interesting crops up.

it's an oem opening for a card reader. Dunno if anything fits without modding though

it's an oem opening for a card reader. Dunno if anything fits without modding though

I actually wouldn't mind a card reader but I think Silverstone gave up on the idea. Modding is not a problem. I would like more USBs because the supplied front USBs seem to lack or have poor power but this may be my mobo so it may not help to add more through the other header. Some more investigating is called for...

The build has been completed..............for the most part. Here are the list of components and picture links.

Silverstone SG05B-450 (450W uATX Power Supply)
Gigabyte H55N-USB3
Intel S1156 I5-760 CPU
8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill DDR3
Gigabyte GTX550 Ti Video Card
Seagate Momemtus XT 500GB Hybrid Drive
Corsair H60 Water Cooler
2x Arctic Cooling F12 120mm Fans

The system has become my main daily pc running Arch Linux with the Gnome 3 (3.2.1) Desktop. It is very stable and fairly quiet. I absolutely love this build.

It is a little messy cable wise but I have tried to make sure that the airflow behind the rad is as clear as possible. It, the cpu, runs surprisingly cool usually at just 5-7 degrees above ambiant during regular use. The rad orientation, due to the video card, blocks the use of an internal optical drive but is of little consequence since an external is used on those occasions where one is needed.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/img068u.jpg/
Gallery: http://imageshack.us/g/220/img072in.jpg/

Last edited:
I see you flipped the PSU as well. I found it to be quieter after the computer warms up but I'm on stock air. Did you find the same with the WC setup or was it for cable placement?

I see you flipped the PSU as well. I found it to be quieter after the computer warms up but I'm on stock air. Did you find the same with the WC setup or was it for cable placement?

I flipped the PSU as it seemed to be quieter after the pc has been on for some time. The WC rad had to be turned that way due to the PCIe power connector on the video card getting in the way. I didn't, IMHO, want to alter the clean look of the case by mounting the front fan outside on the front panel. I use an external optical drive when necessary which honestly isn't very often.

Ah, the PSU fan is easily the noisiest part of my SG05 and SG06 builds :( Flipped, normal, it still overpowers a Big Shuriken (ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe) and a TT Slim X3 + GTS450.

Ah, the PSU fan is easily the noisiest part of my SG05 and SG06 builds :( Flipped, normal, it still overpowers a Big Shuriken (ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe) and a TT Slim X3 + GTS450.

At idle, I agree. At load, it depends on your cooler and/or GPU. I am going to lower the fan speed or swap the fan after the warranty expires since it runs cooler when flipped anyway. It seems to be extremely sensitive to heat and ramps up even when a modest amount of heat passes through the PSU so that's why I keep it flipped.

Here is my sff build as I use it everyday in my office (Specs a few posts back). I am looking for a wider , by about 6"-1', desk and will probably put it together myself. This machine is my "daily driver". Dual 24" LG screens running Arch Linux with Gnome 3.2.1. Windows 7 is running in a virtual machine for those 2-3 windows specific apps that I haven't weaned myself from yet.

IMG023_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I built a SG05 system about a week ago :D

I have been pretty busy, so I'll get pictures up later.

Specs for the box are:

SG05-450
Xeon E3-1230 cpu (undervolted)
Scythe Shuriken rev B HSF
Gigabyte H67 itx mobo
8GB Corsair vengance 1.5v regular profile ram
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
1TB 7200rpm drive
MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II (overclocked!)

I also have a slim DVD-RW drive but forgot to purchase the adapter cable...so I haven't installed it...but don't really need it as Win7 installed off a USB stick fine :) I will need to get the cable soon though.

So far it runs very stable and cool.

I built a SG05 system about a week ago :D

I have been pretty busy, so I'll get pictures up later.

Specs for the box are:

SG05-450
Xeon E3-1230 cpu (undervolted)
Scythe Shuriken rev B HSF
Gigabyte H67 itx mobo
8GB Corsair vengance 1.5v regular profile ram
128GB Crucial M4 SSD
1TB 7200rpm drive
MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II (overclocked!)

I also have a slim DVD-RW drive but forgot to purchase the adapter cable...so I haven't installed it...but don't really need it as Win7 installed off a USB stick fine :) I will need to get the cable soon though.

So far it runs very stable and cool.

I have 2 systems very nearly identical to yours. How does the Shuriken fit wrt the graphics card/RAM?

I have 2 systems very nearly identical to yours. How does the Shuriken fit wrt the graphics card/RAM?

The ram JUST fits under the Shuriken, and there is enough room between the graphics card and the Shuriken, but just.

Upgrading will be an interesting challenge when you need to remove everything.

The ram JUST fits under the Shuriken, and there is enough room between the graphics card and the Shuriken, but just.

Upgrading will be an interesting challenge when you need to remove everything.

:D

I have the systems up and running with the stock HSF and the Shurikens on my desk. Yes, it will be fun! :rolleyes:

Hopefully the heatspreaders on my G.Skill Snipers won't need too much modding. They are only a couple of millimeters above the RAM board.

I bought a Scythe Shuriken Rev B but it doesn't fit with my Asrock Z68 mITX, the radiator is over the PCI-E lane by around 2mm.. :( grrr

I'm loving my SG05 system that is new to me....its got an H50 in it and this thing is nice and quiet...

I bought a Scythe Shuriken Rev B but it doesn't fit with my Asrock Z68 mITX, the radiator is over the PCI-E lane by around 2mm.. :( grrr

Bummer, I have that board and I just placed an order for the Rev B ~1hr ago. Will have to cancel.

Bummer, I have that board and I just placed an order for the Rev B ~1hr ago. Will have to cancel.

I managed to get the shuriken rev B to fit by bending the metal adapters for the push pins, essentially move everything over by around 4mm or so.

on stock setup with 3.5' 7200rpm WD 1.5tb HDD and a ssd in there, im getting around 58-60C max temp load on my 2500k with prime95. with the stock hs/f, it got to 71C. ambient temp is around 25-27C here though.

I managed to get the shuriken rev B to fit by bending the metal adapters for the push pins, essentially move everything over by around 4mm or so.

Sounds like a fairly easy mod. Basically just offsetting the push-pins a bit with some pliers?

Yep, pliers will do nicely.

Its fine for running stock and avoiding thermal problems. You could mod the Shuriken and attach a 120mm 90CFM fan, there's enough room.

Yep, pliers will do nicely.

Its fine for running stock and avoiding thermal problems. You could mod the Shuriken and attach a 120mm 90CFM fan, there's enough room.

I've been hesitating on the Shuriken due to a few too many reported fan failures in the NE reviews. Please excuse all the questions, but how would you fit a 120? I searched and didn't find any 100-120 adapters.

Is the PSU bracket really necessary? I have not installed it to allow more space to run the wiring harnesses and it seems to make little difference to the PSU stability. I don't move the cases very often. Furthermore, with the PSU inverted, it blocks some of the airflow to the fan.

Is the PSU bracket really necessary? I have not installed it to allow more space to run the wiring harnesses and it seems to make little difference to the PSU stability. I don't move the cases very often. Furthermore, with the PSU inverted, it blocks some of the airflow to the fan.

I have never used it. no probs her :D

Back