[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

I've drilled through it, no problem. It's 0.6mm steel. But how often are you going to be removing the mSata? or the backplate?

Not often, but I'd still like to have easy access to them.

So it was easy to drill through the bottom? I hope it's easy to cut with my Dremel too.

So after waiting 2 weeks for the 660TI SC to come into stock, I built my system last night!

I'd gone through a stack of ideas on how to get the SSD in there with the Kuhler 620, and it wasn't until I was digging around in my old case for parts that I remembered I had an OCZ 3.5" plate with mounts for 2.5" drives. It had some holes in the side that I could pretty much line up with the holes where the ODD/2.5" bay went, so I drilled a large enough hole in the OCZ plate to take the ODD bay mounting screw. It fitted and I think it looks great! It's sitting nice and out of the way, and if I ever need to pop it out/replace it, it'll be super easy.

Here's what it looks like:

8581147709_5bd250a50c_b.jpg

I also found I had to chop a bit off the mounting ring for the Kuhler 620 to make room for some... thing (IC chip mount maybe? I didn't spend much time investigating). EDIT: As Machupo pointed out below, it's the MSATA port! It wasn't a big deal, but no one mentioned this to me. Not sure if I've missed something obvious, but here it is for everyone's future reference:

8582246368_c8b0919bbf_b.jpg

Finally, I got everything in the case and got a bit of cable management going. It's not the best work I've ever done, but I can't see myself doing better in a case this small (seriously, I'd seen pictures, but good god they are tiny cases). It's relatively neat, and stays out of the way of the cooler. The cooling seems solid - I had a bit of trouble mounting the Kuhler on the CPU socket, and I was worried that I'd flubbed it, but I'm idling on around 34-36C and hitting 55 max after 100% load on all 4 cores for two hours on a 30 degree day, so I'm happy. Here's a shot of the case:

8581140343_297bcba521_b.jpg

And my favourite two shots, my desk before and after (with some desk-centric cable management too).

Before:
8581148435_5fedcebc3d_b.jpg

And after:
8581550365_8552849cf9_b.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I also found I had to chop a bit off the mounting ring for the Kuhler 620 to make room for some... thing (IC chip mount maybe? I didn't spend much time investigating). EDIT: Looking at that picture closer now, that's the header for the main ATX power. It wasn't a big deal, but no one mentioned this to me. Not sure if I've missed something obvious, but here it is for everyone's future reference:

That's the mount for the mSATA drive :) (it's only SATA 3GB/s, though)

Build looks great -- nice cleanup, eh? :D

That's the mount for the mSATA drive :) (it's only SATA 3GB/s, though)

Build looks great -- nice cleanup, eh? :D

Ah of course! I totally forgot that it was mounted on the back of the motherboard :)

Thanks! I'm really happy with it. I'm moving in a few weeks to somewhere with a bit more room, so I might take the chance to migrate the case my ESX lab shelves and have even more desk/foot space back.

Last edited:
Made the cut today.

accesssg05.jpg

I purposely made one side slanted. The cutout follows the way the motherboard standoffs are placed in the case. I need to buy new edge molding.

The structural integrity of the case was not affected. I can still put my stack of textbooks on top of the case w/o it wobbling or bending or any other effect that would show that structural integrity was weakened. The cutout is big enough so that I can access the CPU backplate on any ITX motherboard I put in there. I've already tested it with an Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe/WD and an ASRock Z77E-ITX. The picture is with the ASRock board. The mSATA slot is fully accessible.

So, got a new ST45SF-G yesterday only to find out that it doesn't "match" the SG05 very well. The modular connectors on it bump into the optical drive tray AND the PSU support brace can't be used since it blocks the modular connectors of the PSU. I'm not comfortable having the PSU supported just by the screws in the back and I'd like to still be able to use the optical drive tray.

Ordered a ST45SF and will be selling the ST45SF-G.

Yeah, the non-modular is better in the SG05 when using the drive trays. They didn't think it through very well, but if you fold down the wires of the connectors sharply, then it will fit, even with the 3.5" cage as well. Not a very happy fit, but can be done.

So, got a new ST45SF-G yesterday only to find out that it doesn't "match" the SG05 very well. The modular connectors on it bump into the optical drive tray AND the PSU support brace can't be used since it blocks the modular connectors of the PSU. I'm not comfortable having the PSU supported just by the screws in the back and I'd like to still be able to use the optical drive tray.

Ordered a ST45SF and will be selling the ST45SF-G.

I drilled out the rivets that hold the additional drive brackets below the optical tray. That way I can keep the optical drive mount and nothing gets in the way of the cables.

Don't worry about the PSU support brace - my other SG05 has a full-sized (and heavy) ATX Seasonic PSU mounted and stability is not an issue at all.

The modular connectors of the ST45SF-G don't do much for me though, since I'm using every cable (except for the old style 4-pin Molex). Also, the Noiseblocker fan replacement is a must with the ST45SF-G power supply.

Any experience with the Corsair H80(i) fitting this case?

It's been done. That one uses push-pull. so if you only plan on using one fan, you should have no probs. As always, adding an AI1 radiator restricts your options. Drive bays are the first to go no mater what. If you mount if vertically, you lose the slim ODD bay. Mount it horizontally and you restrict your GPU capabilities. But if you're lucky, Asus will be releasing their GTX 670 DirectCU Mini soon and you might be able to stuff the whole lot in there.

I have fit both the H80 and the H80i. The H80 was with the old non modular 450w and the H80i was with the 450w modular PSU.

The new combo of the modular psu and the new thicker h80i radiator hoses does make the case quite tight. I haven't had the desire to do any cable management just yet so I don't have any pictures of that setup but I do have a few of my old H80 setup.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/voklskier4452/library/ITX 2

I have fit both the H80 and the H80i. The H80 was with the old non modular 450w and the H80i was with the 450w modular PSU.

The new combo of the modular psu and the new thicker h80i radiator hoses does make the case quite tight. I haven't had the desire to do any cable management just yet so I don't have any pictures of that setup but I do have a few of my old H80 setup.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/voklskier4452/library/ITX 2

Guessing airflow isn't your greatest concern.

Eventually I plan on doing custom cables for this new modular PSU since that seems to be a necessity, but considering what I had to work with I think my old setup was okay. Temps were never an issue for gaming or the solidworks work that I would do. I use a single Cougar 120mm pwm fan and even in my hot as hell dorm room now my temperatures are fine.

Long time has passed since my last update. Here are some of the pictures with new stuff I bought last week.

dsc02235k.jpg

dsc02240r.jpg

dsc02245rk.jpg

Specs:
SUGO SG05 (Black Paint + Modded Front)
i7 860
GA-H55-USB3
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 1600Mhz
Silverstone ST45SF
Corsair H70 + Corsair SP120 Performance (Push-Pull)
AMD Radeon 6870
2x HDD 500GB WD Scorpio Blue (Custom Attachment)

I still think this is the kind of case that has de right to be called SFF.

Last edited:
Looks good from what I can see. Last pic doesn't work, which sucks because I wanted to see how you mounted your drives.

Looks good Napsteir, but I would keep a sharp eye on the temps of your HDDs. That was the first place I put the drives as well when I first had my SG05, but I didn't trust how hot they were getting.

The Hard Drives are getting air from the fans as they're lightly tilted towards the airflow. Temps are fine, no need to worry :D

Finally got a full-time job again. Just have to get my car serviced and get the CV joints and clutch replaced. :eek: But hopefully the Asus 670 SCU mini will be available in Australia by then.

Question for those who have an H50/55/60 installed. If you have the radiator mounted horizontally so the wings are on the left/right, how much space is there underneath it?

(SORRY, misread your quiestion, mine is placed up-down way) In my case I have an H70 and the space below it's arround 1.2-1.5cm (difficult to measure even with a caliper). There's enought space to fit 2.5" drives below it...

You need to be away that there's a stand-off on the bottom of the case which you'll have to dremel or drill out if you want to put an SSD down there.

You need to be away that there's a stand-off on the bottom of the case which you'll have to dremel or drill out if you want to put an SSD down there.

Had a look on an enlarged pic and saw the little nubbin. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure to have the tools on hand to get rid of it. I'll probably mount the HDD on the base of the case and hang the SSD off the frame.

If you're not going to use the optical drive, you can mount the SSD like I did:
photokp.jpg

I used a vented PCI slot bracket. Aligned two of the underside mounting holes of the SSD with some of the vents and screwed the SSD to the bracket. Then I bent the end of the bracket around the SSD, creating sort of a cradle (not necessary since the SSD is screwed into the bracket). I then screwed the bracket into one of the holes the optical drive bracket would have screwed into.

I just got an mSATA SSD for mine - but velcroing it to the bottom of the case also works. The standoff in the bottom actually doesn't impede installation much at all.

My P8H67-I Deluxe in a SG05 has lasted 2 years now--the longest I've stuck with a build. This is a record. To celebrate I'm going to replace the HD6850 with a GTX 660 (the Zotac one I picked up only has a PCB length of 7.35"!) and the 8GB of RAM to 16GB.

This one:

tZP2kCs.jpg

Also, to curse myself for opening the case and probably cutting myself untangling the spider's nest of shit.

My SG-05 came in today...it's bigger than I expected.

I drilled some holes in the bottom between the motherboard and the front of the chassis to mount a 2.5" drive, and am using the the optical/2.5" drive tray to handle my other drive (As well as have a place to push the cables out of the way. Did not reinstall the PSU brace.

Flipped the PSU upside down to give it fresh air, taped the cables under the motherboard...so far so good on everything...now I'm just waiting for the agonizingly long install time for Windows 8 (I've been spoiled by flash drive installs, I guess).

I am happy with how uncrowded the space around the CPU is thanks to what was really rather minimal organization...I have bad memories about just how cramped everything was in the Shuttle XPC's I had a decade ago

UPS just delivered a SG05 and various parts, I'm pumped for my first SFF/SFX build. Building a desktop for my fiancee's grand parents, figured I would dip my toes in the ITX world before I get the NCASE N1 this summer. :D

I'm curious how well the stock fan on the i3 3225 will hold up.

Last edited:
That fan should hold up just fine for your application, those fans are quite robust these days for basic desktop needs.

That's good to hear, I wanted to keep the costs down but I ended up spending more for itx/sff parts lol.

I gotta say my initial impression isn't the greatest. The case steel is a lot thinner than my GD05, I bent the balls out of the frame trying to get the ODD cover out. The power button presses in at a weird angle and feels really cheap. Lastly, the process to get the front panel off is retarded. I wouldn't buy another SG series case for myself and will probably go with Lian-Li next time.

However it's very small and hopefully the grandparents I'm building this for wont notice such things, lol.

I'm starting my project SG05 and didn't see anyone with a laptop dvd drive with a Kuhler 920, which I'm attempting, and is looking good so far. Newegg decided to ship my components seperate from my case, which i have not received yet! :( So i decided to prep my case for the parts coming tomorrow, here's what Ive done so far.

My goal is to keep the stock location for the internal DVD drive, have the kuhler 920 installed in the front 120mm location with minor modification. I drilled out the rivets in the 2.5" cage below the cdrom, and re-drilled mounting holes for the front radiator so far, all looks well, all my hardware should have plenty of clearance.

Back