Yup, it's another "check over my system build" thread ($2400 build)

Adrnshw6

Limp Gawd
First off, let me say that I do not plan to order this system for at least 2 months, but I really want to start planning early to make sure I can look at all my options. All of my links go to the selected products page on newegg.com

I checked all the prices on pricegrabber as well, and the combined total for getting all of the items off of newegg is only $50 more than if I ordered the parts at their cheapest through seperate stores, so I am going to get them all off of newegg for convenience. So far, I have the following:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooling: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme,
Yate Loon Silent 120mm Fan and Arctic Silver 5

Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) 400GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Sound Card: X-fi Xtreme music (already have)

DVD Drive: SAMSUNG DVD burner

PSU: CORSAIR 620W Power Supply

Case: Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Monitor: SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms LCD Monitor

Total with shipping, before mail in rebates is $2,240

After seeing Tiramasus thread here, I am pretty optimistic about my over clocking capabilities with my CPU/RAM/Mobo combination, but is there a better choice out there for parts?

Now, another thing I would like to mention is that one of the primary reasons I am waiting to buy this system is so that I can step up my video card to the Nvidia 9800 (or whatever it is going to be called) as soon as it is released this fall/winter. Also, I know that Vista 64 has trouble with X-fi drivers, but all I have to do is use the older version, correct? Hopefully they will have the problem fixed by fall anyway, but who knows.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the time you folks take into helping people build their dream PCs.

Edit: Updated motherboard and price

Looks good to me. Only thing I would change is the cooler. (Tuniq) Good luck getting a G0 stepping from newegg.

Looks good to me. Only thing I would change is the cooler. (Tuniq) Good luck getting a G0 stepping from newegg.

I'm hoping that by the time I order this, the G0s will be easier to obtain than they are now. And hopefully it wont be like gambling trying to obtain one, through newegg or some other site.

The Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is arguably the best air cooler you can get right now. It consistently outpaces the Tuniq, though the Tuniq is a good cooler as well.

The P5K Deluxe is insanely overpriced -- want wifi? Buy a $15 PCI card. You can get a board with pretty much all the other features based on the same P35 chipset from Gigabyte or Abit for much less.

Might consider an Ultra now that they're $40-50 more than a GTX. Lower temps, better OCing, slightly lower power draw at higher clocks.

Don't believe you need DDR2-1066 with that CPU, as it has a fairly high multiplier. You could save $80-100 by dropping down to DDR2-800.

I personally don't believe in Raptors. Too loud, too expensive, not enough performance gain for me. I'd drop the Raptor and get 2 500GT Seagate 7200.10's.

If you can at all about noise, then lose that Scythe Fan. It's absurdly loud and pitchy sounding.

Since you dont have a window Tracer's are a waste since they use the same PCB's and the same IC's as Ballistix.

Finally, you can pre-order G0 steps over at Tankguys.

If you can at all about noise, then lose that Scythe Fan. It's absurdly loud and pitchy sounding.

In short, "What-huh?" I don't own an S-Flex -- $20 for a fan is too rich for my blood, I picked up 6 mid-speed Yate Loons for that a month or two ago -- people swear by the things. Are they honestly "loud"? I was under the impression they were one of the best CFM to dB fans out there right now, and have been suggesting them consistently for a while, with no complaints.

I sort of agree about that particular S-FLEX.

Don't get me wrong the S-FLEX series is probably the quietest of fans you can get but that particular model is a high speed 63CFM@ 1600RPM which is going to be loud simply from air turbulence. The fan quality can do little to prevent that. I would suggest a middle range S-FLEX or low range Minebea model around 1200RPM max.

My Yate Loons claim 28 or 29dB, so unless Scythe is lying or Yate Loon is for some strange reason claiming higher dB than normal use produces, I don't see there being an issue, but I'll defer here to people that have experience with the fans in question.

The fan by itself spinning in free air is probably fairly quiet but much of the noise from high speed fans (the high frequency noise) is generated from air movement through obstructions such as a fan grill.

i recommend you get some D9's~ better ram

I've looked around, but I can't seem to find that ram anywhere. Do you know a site that sells it?

Also, going along with Silent-Circuits suggestion, I've changed my motherboard to the ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

I had heard that the fan I chose was very quiet... but now I am obviously getting conflicting stories. I really don't care what fan I have, I just want it to be able to thoroughly pump air through the Thermaltake 120. Any suggestions in that department?

First of all, your build looks very similar to the one I recently completed

Antec P180
Q6600
ABit IP35 Pro
Tuniq Tower 120
2 x 2 GB DDR800
Seagate 7200.10 x 500GB
PC Power & Cooling Quad Silencer 750W

Now I don't know about you, but I was kinda going for a quite running build when I got this... and I think I succeeded. I'm not really experienced with Raptors, but the thing that kept me from getting one is that I was under the impression that they're loud. I don't want a bunch of uneccesary noise, so I didn't get one.

The fanless motherboard is great. Works like a charm.

I currently have my two top Tri Cools running on high, with the bottom one on low, and the Tuniq Tower running on full blast also. Yes it makes a bit of noise like this, but it's very low. I haven't messed around with trying to run the fans on low and seeing how it affects temps.

My power supply is whisper quiet, and cool, hence the lower chamber fan being set to low (also silent). The video card is the same. The only noise I have coming from my case is my HSF and the two Tri Cool's.... and since I've reached a max of 45 C under load I think I have room to adjust.

Hopefully some of this helps you... I'm not sure if noise is a concern for you or not but either way you've got a solid build going.... my rig screams and I'm only running 2 GB of RAM at the moment.

DudeItsMe, Yate Loons don't have speed switches -- are you using a fanbus, or are you talking about the included Antec TriCool fans? :confused:

Also just realized something. OP, you don't need that monster PSU if you don't plan to go SLI in the future, and the P35 board do not support SLI, so that isn't an option with your current board. Save some money by dropping down a couple hundred watts.

DudeItsMe, Yate Loons don't have speed switches -- are you using a fanbus, or are you talking about the included Antec TriCool fans? :confused:

Yeah, I'm dumb, for some reason I thought the fans in here were YL's.

But now that you mention it, memory kicks in. Thanks for pointing out my tard mistake :p

Yeah, I'm dumb, for some reason I thought the fans in here were YL's.

But now that you mention it, memory kicks in. Thanks for pointing out my tard mistake :p

YL's kick the crap out of the TriCools. Best ~$20 you can spend for temps and noise both with that case (and that's for a set of 4)

Also just realized something. OP, you don't need that monster PSU if you don't plan to go SLI in the future, and the P35 board do not support SLI, so that isn't an option with your current board. Save some money by dropping down a couple hundred watts.

Updated PSU to a CORSAIR 620W Power Supply and fan to Yate Loon Silent 120mm Fan

Ram is the subject that I know the least of when it comes to computer parts, so what ram would I be better off with if I wanted to overclock my 6600? I was also looking at these, and most reviews say they are good sticks.

Ram is the subject that I know the least of when it comes to computer parts, so what ram would I be better off with if I wanted to overclock my 6600? I was also looking at these, and most reviews say they are good sticks.

You do not need DDR2-1066 with a Quad. It has a high multiplier and doesn't OC all that well. You're not likely to ever get above 400 /real/ FSB (1600 quad-pumped in Intel-speak) and probably won't get to it on air cooling, even really /good/ air cooling like the Thermalright. DDR2-800, then, is just fine for your purposes.

$125 - $45 MIR = $80 gets you 2GB of 4-4-4-12 DDR2-800 from Crucial Look around and you can probably find some G.Skill for $90 or so with no rebate to bother with if you'd rather. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Not to thread jack here, but please be more specific then just D9. Here's just the list of D9 ic's i could get from ramlist.
D9CHM
D9GMH
D9GCT
D9GKX
D9DCN
D9DCL
D9DQT
D9DPQ
D9CZM
D9DQW
D9HNL
D9CRZ
D9HBD
D9GSV
Which one of those should the OP make sure are used in his RAM?

BTW: Micron owns Cricial, so you will always have either GMH or GKX in Ballistix.

Don't need "better RAM" unless you plan to OC it. He has a quad core. The RAM is never going to see higher than 800 Mhz with the CPU on air. He could get the cheapest CAS 4 DDR2-800 he can find and it wouldn't make a difference, really. With an Intel CPU the performance boost when running RAM out of sync with the FSB is negligible.

Don't need "better RAM" unless you plan to OC it. He has a quad core. The RAM is never going to see higher than 800 Mhz with the CPU on air. He could get the cheapest CAS 4 DDR2-800 he can find and it wouldn't make a difference, really. With an Intel CPU the performance boost when running RAM out of sync with the FSB is negligible.

QFT. Its actually possible for it to be a bit detrimental due to the extra heat from the higher voltage to run the ram faster.

Back