z-5500 vs HT Speakers

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
Well more specifically, vs. the setup in my sig. I hear all of these people extremely happy with their speakers, and I'm just wondering how mine stand up. I plan on upgrading the sub to that $100 Dayton sub also.

My system is rated at approx 500w and sounds great, just wondering if my system which i paid about 600 for after cabling and tax is up to the challenge of beating a 250 DOLLAR system with a larger sub (10" compared to 8").

Edit: Wrote watt instead of dollar...

well the HT systems in ur price range will definetely be better than any PC speakers.....

serbiaNem said:
Well more specifically, vs. the setup in my sig. I hear all of these people extremely happy with their speakers, and I'm just wondering how mine stand up. I plan on upgrading the sub to that $100 Dayton sub also.

My system is rated at approx 500w and sounds great, just wondering if my system which i paid about 600 for after cabling and tax is up to the challenge of beating a 250 watt system with a larger sub (10" compared to 8").

?? Z-5500s are 505 watts RMS/1000 watts max for ~$200.

Well you spent 2-3 times more than what a z-5500 costs so hopefully what you got is at least as good. But you already bought your stuff and like it, so who cares?

well lets see....

z5500:
-Single driver solution
-Decoder w/ DACs equal to an a2zs or worse?
-10in sub tuned to fart as much as possible w/ a cheap amp that produces alot of power
-Great bang for buck running $200 (you get what you pay for)

Real HT Setup:
-Seperate Tweeter and Mid Range
-Uses DACs on a receiver
-Subs vary w/ huge selection and budget choices.
-runs more than $200 (you get what you pay for)

hm i guess the z5500's just totally own cause i mean look at all the "advantages" ;)

z5500 OWNS in teh 200 range paying more for a better system and u compare them to the z5500... right...

anyways my bro has a 200 buck Sony HT system.. my z5500 "owns' those.. but yah...

They don't, he was just correct an error in the initial post, which turns out to have been a brain fart (poster typed 'watts' instead of 'dollars').

DeViLdUdE said:
^^^ dont be hard on them I was like that when I was new :D

You still are new! n00b! :D

And hearing the highs on my speakers makes me happy all the time.. that dedicated tweeter probably helps :)

Watts do not mean ANYTHING. Those logitech speakers, 500 watts? Haha. That is peak wattage. Which means, it may hit 500 watts for a split second maybe like once a week. Its probably about 100 watts continuious taking into account that they are very bad quality watts....

Any HT setup will be better than the logitechs at pretty much any price point. The Logitechs are multimedia speakers and home theater speakers are home theater speakers.

Also, you cant say one speaker setup owns another, its all about personal preference. And Azn-player, that was a SONY HT SETUP for *$200*......no further comment

actually the z-5500's has a peak of 1010 or 1000 watts as it says :p this is RMS specs = 500 hehe. It might not have the best sound quality.. but I totally believe it when they say 500 watts RMS :p

Wattage has not much to do with sound quality... seperation and clarity are EVERYTHING... if you have neither then you are experiencing what is referred to as a "muddy" experience... the only way to acheive clarity is with seperation of each spectrum of sound ie: lows, mids, highs... high end systems seperate even further with subsonics, lows, mids, mid-highs and highs... any HT system without a good equalizer and proper crossovers is going to sound pretty good, worlds better than a "multimedia" system, but one with those things is going to sound "pristine" even at low levels which is exactly how what ever it is you are listening to was MEANT to be heard... my next HT setup is actually going to consist of TAPCO studio monitors... a set of s-8's up front and four s-5's two upfront layed on their sides for "center" channel and two in rear... along with a TAPCO active sub... sure it'll be a little over a grand... but it'll sound better than any sub $5k system out there...

I seriously think you be happier spending the $150 on the klipsche 2.1 system than you would the z-5500 any day... they are amazingly loud and very clear... my father has a set and they are astoundingly good sounding speakers...

as for the n00b biz... i think it's kinda silly as you can see by my member date i'm hardly a n00b... posting all day long just makes you a loser... haha...

j/k about the whole loser thing... i promise!

DeViLdUdE said:
:D nvm with the whole thing and yeh Wattage is all that matters.:D

Agreed! This kid I know bought a 2000watt system on ebay for 30 bucks. I can tell you it would blow any 500w system to China :p

absolut][krypkn0t said:
my next HT setup is actually going to consist of TAPCO studio monitors... a set of s-8's up front and four s-5's two upfront layed on their sides for "center" channel and two in rear... along with a TAPCO active suband they are astoundingly good sounding speakers...
ur building a surround system using studio monitors?
i'd like to know a lil more on this setup

absolut][krypkn0t said:
Wattage has not much to do with sound quality... seperation and clarity are EVERYTHING... if you have neither then you are experiencing what is referred to as a "muddy" experience... the only way to acheive clarity is with seperation of each spectrum of sound ie: lows, mids, highs... high end systems seperate even further with subsonics, lows, mids, mid-highs and highs... any HT system without a good equalizer and proper crossovers is going to sound pretty good, worlds better than a "multimedia" system, but one with those things is going to sound "pristine" even at low levels which is exactly how what ever it is you are listening to was MEANT to be heard... my next HT setup is actually going to consist of TAPCO studio monitors... a set of s-8's up front and four s-5's two upfront layed on their sides for "center" channel and two in rear... along with a TAPCO active sub... sure it'll be a little over a grand... but it'll sound better than any sub $5k system out there...

I seriously think you be happier spending the $150 on the klipsche 2.1 system than you would the z-5500 any day... they are amazingly loud and very clear... my father has a set and they are astoundingly good sounding speakers...

Tapco? It will not sound better than any sub $5K system out there, whoever sold you on that is one hell of a sales person.

If that is your price point, and you are looking for monitors, go with Ascend Acustics, here is their site:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Their packages with the HSU STF-2 sub are very nice.

They are nice, I heard a paid of the 170's and they almost rivaled my Onix Rocket RS550 Mk I's(www.av123.com) in mids and high's, of course the low end was another story. Their imaging was slightly less, same with their seperation. You are also talking about two different price points, for the money, I found the 170's to be about the best monitors you could buy for even two to three times their price.

If you like brighter speakers, Axiom could be in your price range.

well here's the deal tapco is made by mackie of whom i'm sure you've all heard of... well the tapco s-8's are as good if not better than the HR824's they are a bit tighter with the punch which is a personal preference of mine... they do not have as powerful of an amp... but 60Wrms/100Wpk for lows and 60Wrms/100Wpk for highs is plenty enough umph per speaker to sound really good... (HR824 has 150Wrms/350Wpk for lows and 100Wrms/210Wpk for highs)

I have heard these in a studio setup and can attest to them sounding that good even when compared side by side with the Mackie's...

himmy said:
Tapco? It will not sound better than any sub $5K system out there, whoever sold you on that is one hell of a sales person.

If that is your price point, and you are looking for monitors, go with Ascend Acustics, here is their site:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Their packages with the HSU STF-2 sub are very nice.

They are nice, I heard a paid of the 170's and they almost rivaled my Onix Rocket RS550 Mk I's(www.av123.com) in mids and high's, of course the low end was another story. Their imaging was slightly less, same with their seperation. You are also talking about two different price points, for the money, I found the 170's to be about the best monitors you could buy for even two to three times their price.

If you like brighter speakers, Axiom could be in your price range.

QFT

Ascend makes some amazing speaks for the price. So does onix.

Back