Z-5500's rear sattelite's, ok to put 15ft. behind me...?

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
I was going to put the rear two satelites about 15ft, behing me would that be ok? As far as a gaming stand point went?

from what i have heard (i personaly own 2.1, not 5.1 sound) you need to have all the speakers the same distance apart to get the best sound.

I've found that with just about any surround speaker system, any of the "secondary" channels need to be fairly close, whereas the main points can be a greater distance away. This is especially true with the Z-5500s. The rear sats are not as loud as the front ones, even in "Stereo x 2" mode. I'd recommend placing the front and centre channels further away, and the rear speakers about 1 metre behind and to the side of you.

Z-5500 are near-field speakers so placing the surround speakers that far back might give you less than an optimal soundstage but you can try adjusting/increasing the volume level for the surround speakers. The only way to find out is to try it.

The front and surround speakers are identical btw.

banGerprawN said:
I've found that with just about any surround speaker system, any of the "secondary" channels need to be fairly close, whereas the main points can be a greater distance away. This is especially true with the Z-5500s. The rear sats are not as loud as the front ones, even in "Stereo x 2" mode. I'd recommend placing the front and centre channels further away, and the rear speakers about 1 metre behind and to the side of you.

actually you can adjust in the control pod to make the rear WAY louder than the fronts... hehe I learned that the hard way ..on my z-680's turning the rear all the way up doesnt really have any effect... but on the z-5500... I had it all the way up and almost killed the rear speakers hehe.

I have a similar problem with front speakers 18" away and rear speakers 5' away.

In my case, I used the Surround Mixer, reducing front speakers to 75% volume.

For testing, Rightmark (Rightmark3DSound.exe) has a nice utility that rotates a wave-loop sound source 360 degrees around you.

Hope this helps!

The X-Fi you have has settings for how far away your speakers are and what levels the channels need to be.

It is only located in the THX settings but it applies globally to the sound card drivers.
The combination should work well for you.

Back