Z5500 Discontinued?

Edman22

Limp Gawd
Are the logitech z5500 speakers discontinued? It seems like a lot of stores I look at are sold out without any ETA for new stock. You ususally see this when an item is new with limited stock, or if its on its way out...so I was wondering if Logitech has discontinued this model.

I was wondering this too. The Z 5450's are absolute shit so I hope they haven't discontinued one and boosted another.

Mwave had a 1/31/2007 ETA on restock. That's all I have seen.

Volucris said:
I was wondering this too. The Z 5450's are absolute shit so I hope they haven't discontinued one and boosted another.

Mwave had a 1/31/2007 ETA on restock. That's all I have seen.

As far as being discontinued, it's never a good sign when they are out of stock on the manufacturer's own website. I'd suspect they're about to release a sucessor model.

As far as being "absolute shit" because you had a problem with interference, all I can say is :rolleyes: I have no issue with my 5450's, with a wireless 2.4ghz transmitter 20 ft. away.

I have a 2.4GHZ cordless phone system in my house. There are about 6 cordless phones and 2 base stations throughout the house. They're not absolute shit, I shouldn't have said that. When I would turn on the system, the phones would all get crackle changing in severity the closer they were to the room the system was in. That and somehow my wireless network being 2.4GHZ also, would drop out frequently when the system was on.

They had a cool idea and I'm glad yours worked for you. Too bad they didn't work out for me.

Well if they're out of stock on the manufacturer's website, I couldn't agree more with you. They are probably going to release a new system very soon. Though what that system is is the real question.

Could they redo the 5450's with a 5.8GHZ system? Could they introduce a good 7.1 system? I want to know.

yevaud said:
As far as being discontinued, it's never a good sign when they are out of stock on the manufacturer's own website. I'd suspect they're about to release a sucessor model.

As far as being "absolute shit" because you had a problem with interference, all I can say is :rolleyes: I have no issue with my 5450's, with a wireless 2.4ghz transmitter 20 ft. away.
It is good to have a successor model, I don't think that they will discontinue the Z-5500 to push the Z-5450, Z-5500 sounds better but Z-5450 is more expensive because of the wireless rear speakers. I have a Z-5400 which is a Z-5450 with wired rear speakers, the Z-5400 is cheaper and the sound is inferior to the Z-5500. I don't think logitech will stop producing Z-5500 if they don't have a successor model, the Z-5500 is their best speaker. Maybe they already have something new because the new Z-5300e is already using the satellites from Z-5500. I think that the successor will use the Z-5500's woofer with new satellites.

Maybe I don't have a problem because I'm using a 5.8ghz phone system. The 2.4ghz transmitter I mentioned doesn't "frequency hop" but stays on one frequency all the time. My suspicion is that people who have interference have 2.4ghz "frequency hopping" or "spread spectrum" devices nearby.
Rather than move to the 5.8ghz spectrum, they would do better to utilize the power wiring to transmit the information, since the wireless speakers have to be plugged in anyway.

I'd bet that the new model will be revealed at the CES next week.

As far as sound "quality" I've never heard 5500's in action, but the 5450's are awesome IMO. Considering that I got them for $246 shipped, I think they were worth it.

yea well its just my luck that they sell out exactly when i want to buy them. I really need speakers though, my 10 year old Altec lansings just arent cutting it anymore. Hope they come out with a successor if it really is discontinued.

I think the successor would be more expensive in the first few months.

I'd sure love a site that really gets down and dirty with these speaker sets. Most sites just typically scratch the surface and offer fairly meaningless "subjective listening evaluations". I want to put Logitech's money where its mouth is considering their outlandish power rating claims.

phide said:
I'd sure love a site that really gets down and dirty with these speaker sets. Most sites just typically scratch the surface and offer fairly meaningless "subjective listening evaluations". I want to put Logitech's money where its mouth is considering their outlandish power rating claims.
IMO, "subjective listening evaluations" are better for sound than numbers alone. Although numbers can give a rough idea about the sound, sometimes a set of speaker having the same numbers can give a different sound characteristic. The design of the speaker itself can change the sound due to reflection and etc.

yevaud said:
Maybe I don't have a problem because I'm using a 5.8ghz phone system. The 2.4ghz transmitter I mentioned doesn't "frequency hop" but stays on one frequency all the time. My suspicion is that people who have interference have 2.4ghz "frequency hopping" or "spread spectrum" devices nearby.
Rather than move to the 5.8ghz spectrum, they would do better to utilize the power wiring to transmit the information, since the wireless speakers have to be plugged in anyway.

I'd bet that the new model will be revealed at the CES next week.

As far as sound "quality" I've never heard 5500's in action, but the 5450's are awesome IMO. Considering that I got them for $246 shipped, I think they were worth it.
The 5450 transmitter does do frequency hops as stated somewhere in the operation manual. It gives priority to other devices on a freq and finds its own. Though when I have multiple things using the 2.4GHZ range, the 5450's don't play ball.

I didn't know CES was next week. It'd be nice if there was something new.

Back