Z68 vs P67: Which is better for non-gaming overclocked computing machine

aviat72

Limp Gawd
I currently have a P67/2600K rig which has two graphic cards driving three monitors each.

I am in the process of assembling a second rig and the impulsive choice was the Z68. However, I have been wondering whether a P67 with a discrete card might be more appropriate instead of using a Z68 with on-board graphics. There will be no 3-D or GPU based computation and the simplest display which can drive two monitors will work fine.

The system will be overclocked for 24x5 use.

1. Apart from the silicon, one of the principle drivers of stable overclocks is the power delivery system of the motherboard. When you are using the on-board graphics of the Z68, the power to the CPU will have to drive both the CPU and the GPU unit. This is likely to put greater strain on the on the Motherboard power supply and hence perhaps limit the overclock capabilities. Thoughts?

2. Does the onboard-graphic share the L3 cache with the CPU unit? Is that good or bad from the performance perspective vs having a dedicated graphics card? One way to look at it is that on-chip communication between the GPU/CPU should be more efficient than the PCI-e based communication with the discrete card in terms of resource utilization. On the other hand, if the GPU uses the L3 cache also then the performance of the CPU will suffer due to the smaller available L3 cache. What have people observed in real-life usage?

3. The SSD caching is not of significant interest to me since I will be putting a 4 disk RAID and a boot SSD drive to control what goes where.

4. Is there any advantage of using the Z68 versus the P67 if we are going to use a discrete card?

quick sync would be advantage to the z68 board if you need the feature. Honestly I would go with a z68 board since they seem to have less problems than the p67 boards and just disable the IGP if you are worried about it consuming resources.

1) In theory yes, but in practice, probably not as bad as you may think it is. I haven't heard of any reports of people's OC actually being limited due to the use of onboard video.

2) Basically yes the onboard GPU does share the same L2/L3 cache as the CPU. It's actually good since it allwos for better efficiency and performance for the onboard GPU. However, the GPU's use of the L3 cache doesn't affect CPU performance since the CPU gets priority for cache requests.

3) Correct

4) This quote by the Intel rep best sums up what are the differences beteen the P67 and Z68 chipsets:
There are really 3 differences between the P67 and Z68 chipsets.

Z68:
-Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) SSD caching. You can use up to a 64GB SSD.
-Support for IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor). There are a couple things that play off from this including the Lucidlogix Virtu software and the ability to overclock the IGP (about half of Gigabyte’s Z68 boards don’t support this feature.
-Intel SATA III controller (better performance)

At least as far as the chipset goes there is around a $6 dollar cost difference.

Thanks Danny. I guess this is an area where it will be hard to find a definite answer. Maybe I will run some benchmarks ...

Thanks Danny. I guess this is an area where it will be hard to find a definite answer. Maybe I will run some benchmarks ...

However, thanks to falling prices for Z68-based motherboards, I'm recommending Z68 regardless.

Z68 has become for Sandy Bridge what 875P (not 865PE, which was no slouch) was for the P4 Northwood (original, B or C) - the chipset of choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...12&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20 (ASUS' Z68 motherboard lineup @ Newegg)

The above is sorted by price (lowest at the top) - if you're thinking about Ivy Bridge in the future, that's where you should be looking. (Yes - that sounds nuts; hear me out, though.)

First off, while Z68 supports Ivy Bridge, a critical part of IB's feature set will be PCI Express 3.0 support - which is lacking from the high-end of ASUS' current Z68 lineup (which is also in the middle of a refresh).

Second, the low end of the Z68 line (except for the P8Z68-V, which is also being refreshed) supports both Ivy Bridge and PCI Express 3.0 (at least when a Sandy Bridge CPU is replaced with an IB CPU) right now.

Hence my rather contrarian recommendation for those with an *itch* for Ivy (Bridge).

(And no - you can't have my ocean of calamine lotion.)

Don't think there are any advantages of a Z68 over P67 in terms of performance. Could be wrong though. Not worth moving from P67 to Z68 if you don't have any issues with P67.

Hmm, i am curious about point 4. I have seen a review that disputes the statement the Z68 have better sata performance:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/07/14/gigabyte-ga-z68a-d3h-b3-review/5

P67 with sata-3 SSD wins here, handsdown.

So?

Well look at the price range for the motherboards tested: The Gigabyte Z68 mobo is $130, that MSI P67 mobo has a MSRP of $150, and that Asus P67 mobo is $200. In the review you linked, the $130 Z68 mobo did perform a little better than the slightly higher priced MSI P67. Four days after that review was posted, Bit-tech posted this review of a $180 Asus Z68 mobo:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/07/18/asus-maximus-iv-gene-z/5

Note how close that Asus Z68 mobo is to the Asus P67 mobo. So there's a possibility that a $200 Z68 mobo could have equal or better SATA 6.0GB/s performance as a $200 P67 motherboard if doing a close apples to apples comparison.

The differences between the P67 and the Z68 boards come down to 3 features:
-Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) allows SSD caching with a small SSD (<64GB)
-In most cases support for the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) allows you to use the IGP for graphics or trouble shooting help. Also withthe Lucidlogix Virtu software you can switch between te the dedicated video and the Intel Quick Sync to get the best performance.
-Intel SATA III said to be better performing then the older Marvel controller on the P67 boards.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthuisiast Team

Back