Z87 motherboard: Upgrade from P55 chipset.

Ricedaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
It's about time to pull the trigger on an upgrade for my venerable i5-750 sitting in the MSI P55-GD80.
I plan on getting a i5-4670K as I will want to overclock a significant amount and will make no use of the hyperthreading on the 4770K. Cooling will be a Swiftech Apogee HD in a custom loop.

I'm looking at the Asus Maximus VI Hero/Formula, Asus Z87-A, Asus Z87 Sabertooth, or the MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming. I like the MSI board I have now but Asus just seems to have a better BIOS and software suite available. Thoughts? Price range I'm looking for is around $300 or less.

I know there are plenty of threads about which motherboard to choose, but I would appreciate the input. Thank you.

My MSI GD45 serves me and my 4770k quite well.

I used to be huge on Asus and EVGA but due to past incidents I've switched to MSI for my video card and motherboard, hoping their Military Class claims on their hardware mean something. So far things have been good.

Well the Maximus and sabertooth line will be in a higher class than a GD65. I personally really like my GD65 and it is running fine with my 4770k at 4.5. Perhaps you might consider the MSI MPower line which is supposedly more OC friendly. What about Asrock OC Formula boards?

Are you looking to spend around $300 on a motherboard or do you want to go as low as possible with $300 being the absolute limit?

It really comes down to what features you're looking for. I would use the features of the motherboard to make my decision, not the bios.

I can tell you that the Z87-GD65 GAMING board is definitely a great board for the money - great quality and lots of useful features at a great price. Those ASUS boards have so much extra fluff you have to pay for that have little if any use. I think it will be the best price to performance&features of those options. MPOWER line is also a great one to look at since its such a great board and the price is equally nice - best price to performance in my book

What about Asrock OC Formula boards?

I have a Z87 OC formula and love it. Given what I use my rig for, I'd probably be better off with a gaming mobo, but I like the fact that OC specific boards are built like tanks and can last for many many years because of that. This ASRock board has a five year warranty.

I just got back into this after running an Abit IP35pro/Q6600 since '07 for over 52000hrs of solid "on" time. I did a modest overclock of 4.4ghz on my 4670k. Runs great so far. Crazy amount of options in the UEFI. The only thing it lacks is the amount of other people running it to compare setups. Everywhere I look everybody is running an Asus board.

Are you looking to spend around $300 on a motherboard or do you want to go as low as possible with $300 being the absolute limit?

It really comes down to what features you're looking for. I would use the features of the motherboard to make my decision, not the bios.

I'm looking at spending up to $300 if the features are right. After I've been looking around (though I do have more reviews to read), the MSI MPower line is looking quite high on my list.

It's a shame it has that silly yellow and black color scheme, but there are ways around that...

Back