Zalman 9500 good enough for Q6600 B3?

inscape01

Limp Gawd
I already have a Zalman 9500 and want to overclock the Q6600 I ordered as far as it will go on air in a P180b. Will the Zalman be fine or should I buy the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme? I mean the Thermalright has Ultra and extreme in the product name so it must be good. Is it worth spending $70 good when I already have the Zalman?

inscape

I have an antec 900 case, zalman 9500 on my q6600 B3 and OC'd at 3.2 ghz and temps are under 50C idle, running exceptionally. mobo is a gigabyte-p35-DS3R. Just make sure you turn off cpu fan control in bios so it runs max rpms all the time.

I already have a Zalman 9500 and want to overclock the Q6600 I ordered as far as it will go on air in a P180b. Will the Zalman be fine or should I buy the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme? I mean the Thermalright has Ultra and extreme in the product name so it must be good. Is it worth spending $70 good when I already have the Zalman?

I would say give it a try first. It could always depend what's your room temperature and how well circulated your case is. Mine is hovering around 50-55°C idle and 70-75°C full load running at 2.8GHz. Make sure you are using ARCTIC COOLING MX-1 THERMAL COMPOUND or Arctic Silver 5 instead of the stupid crap that came with the Zalman. Zalman 9500 isn't meant for a 105W Q6600. But if you can find a way to hook up a 120mm fans such as the Scythe, it might just act like the 9700.

I'm planning to get the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme. It should drop it down another 10°C.

I would say give it a try first. It could always depend what's your room temperature and how well circulated your case is. Mine is hovering around 50-55°C idle and 70-75°C full load running at 2.8GHz. Make sure you are using ARCTIC COOLING MX-1 THERMAL COMPOUND or Arctic Silver 5 instead of the stupid crap that came with the Zalman. Zalman 9500 isn't meant for a 105W Q6600. But if you can find a way to hook up a 120mm fans such as the Scythe, it might just act like the 9700.

I'm planning to get the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme. It should drop it down another 10°C.
thats dangerous having that high of a load temp, you need some better circulation or something in your case.

Ahh, screw it. I've already spent more money than initially planned, what's another $70..

thats dangerous having that high of a load temp, you need some better circulation or something in your case.

I'm still waiting for the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme to be instock. Right now I usually don't get full load that often. Playing games doesn't get all 4 cores running. Only rendering will get it all running.

Back