ZALMAN --> tuniq that much better?

antok86

[H]F Junkie
my specs are in sig and im getting idle temps on my cpu at around 48-49c seems a bit high for me on idle...that is with a Zalman CNPS7000-CU...now if i upgrade to the huge tuniq cpu cooler will i see a significant decrease in temps? will it be louder? thanks

my specs are in sig and im getting idle temps on my cpu at around 48-49c seems a bit high for me on idle...that is with a Zalman CNPS7000-CU...now if i upgrade to the huge tuniq cpu cooler will i see a significant decrease in temps? will it be louder? thanks

Yes you should see a good decrease in temps. If you have time, browse through anandtech.com's cooling section. They compare many cpu coolers together in various hardware configurations and the tuniq and ultra 120 extreme are always up in the top 3 it seems.

Yeah you'll most likely get lower temps. Depending on the fan you attach to the Tuniq it'll be as loud or as quiet as you want it. ;)

make sure your your heatsink isn't concave and that it's secured tightly to the mobo before you buy a tuniq tower

i have redone my cpu and heatsink about 3 times with new thermal Arctic 5 and same results...doesnt the tuniq come with a fan?

Yes, the tuniq comes with a fan.

The tuniq is the second best cooler and probably the cheapest since it includes a fan.

In case you like LED's, there is a new version out with and LED fan!

i dont need an LED one...just a cheeap one if anybody has one...time to hit the FS sections

If you run the Zalman 9700 full bore without using the fan regulator - just driving it directly with 12v, then odds are the best you'll see is a max possible idle temp drop of 1 or 2 C by switching to the Tuniq. I did exactly what you are considering and my temps actually stayed the same. (That's with a lapped CPU and Artic Silver 5 that's cured.) I also stayed with the stock Tuniq fan... I think replacing it with a higher CFM fan would help it cool better, but also make it much louder. In the end, I decided to switch to a custom water cooling setup. A pain to install, but it blows air cooling out of the water. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun there... :p )

Anyway, switching from a 9700 to a Tuniq just isn't worth the time/money/hassle IMHO. They both are pretty much on par as far as good aftermarket coolers go. The Tuniq has a slight edge, but not enough to justify switching. Both are great coolers. Stick with whichever you currently have as you really won't gain anything by switching other than a lighter wallet.

im currently using Zalman CNPS7000 not a 9700... and its straight 12v im not using the fan controller with this...the problem i think with what i have now is that it doesnt have heat pipes..which seem to help with cpu cooling [as far as i know] i also have an extra yate loon laying around..maybe this will help?

The Zalman 7000's were really good heatsinks before the heatpipe tech started but they can't remove heat like the new ones. They were good for the Northwoods but once the Prescotts hit the scene new heatsinks were needed. The 7700's are better as they have a 120mm instead of 92mm fan and more weight but they still dont have heatpipes which really help the whole heatsink to release heat instead of the center doing the most dissipation and loosing effectiveness the further you get out from the center.

You will see a huge difference in the Tuniq Tower from a Zalman 7000.

If you run the Zalman 9700 full bore without using the fan regulator - just driving it directly with 12v, then odds are the best you'll see is a max possible idle temp drop of 1 or 2 C by switching to the Tuniq. I did exactly what you are considering and my temps actually stayed the same. (That's with a lapped CPU and Artic Silver 5 that's cured.) I also stayed with the stock Tuniq fan... I think replacing it with a higher CFM fan would help it cool better, but also make it much louder. In the end, I decided to switch to a custom water cooling setup. A pain to install, but it blows air cooling out of the water. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun there... :p )

Anyway, switching from a 9700 to a Tuniq just isn't worth the time/money/hassle IMHO. They both are pretty much on par as far as good aftermarket coolers go. The Tuniq has a slight edge, but not enough to justify switching. Both are great coolers. Stick with whichever you currently have as you really won't gain anything by switching other than a lighter wallet.

I have Zalman 9700 and get ~48C idle with room temp 85F. What temps do you get?

I've been happy with my Tuniq Tower. Right now, I'm running my e6420 @ 3.4Ghz with a Vcore of 1.525 and I'm idling at 29C at the lowest fan setting. The Tuniq does get a little loud if you turn up the fan all the way, but unless it gets really hot in the room or I'm running orthos, there's never a reason to turn it up. Oh and using AS5.

Ambient: 24C

Tuniq Tower (Full Speed)
Load: 41 C

Zalman 9500LED (Full Speed)
Load: 46C

Vcore @ 1.35v

The noise from the AC exceed the noise from my 9 case fans, so full speed doesn't bother me.

im currently using Zalman CNPS7000 not a 9700... and its straight 12v im not using the fan controller with this...the problem i think with what i have now is that it doesnt have heat pipes..which seem to help with cpu cooling [as far as i know] i also have an extra yate loon laying around..maybe this will help?

Sorry about the mix-up, was late and thought I read 9700. Yes, it would be worth the switch then as you'll get a significant drop in temps, especially under load with the Tuniq. The heat pipe tech really helps a lot. Both the 9700 and the Tuniq I tried would idle between 39-41C. (That's a E6700 running @ 3.66Ghz)

Back