Zalman VF700Cu Question (Ramsink)

Ch28Kid

n00b
Hello

I have VF700Cu on my 9800 Pro and I want to take it off. I took off the main Heatsink but its the "Ramsink" I have problems with. They don't seem to come off at all. Is there anyway I can take it off? If I do take it off, what kinda stuff do I use to put stick it back on? I notice AS5 don't stick well!

Thank you all in advance

To take it off, run a 3D-intensive application on the card and let the heatsinks get hot. Then shut off your computer right away(flick the switch on the PSU) and try pulling them off. If you do manage to get them off, use nothing but the stock thermal tape. If it stops adhering, you will need to either get new thermal tape or thermal pads, or use thermal epoxy to permanently affix the RAMsinks, which I don't recommend.

Zero82z said:
To take it off, run a 3D-intensive application on the card and let the heatsinks get hot. Then shut off your computer right away(flick the switch on the PSU) and try pulling them off. If you do manage to get them off, use nothing but the stock thermal tape. If it stops adhering, you will need to either get new thermal tape or thermal pads, or use thermal epoxy to permanently affix the RAMsinks, which I don't recommend.

thanx for the advice, I was wondering the same thing myself. Copper ramsinks here i come, been debating those for a while

Is there another way? That sounds a bit freaky.

Can I use a blow dryer, heat the ram up and pull it off?

I guess you could use a hair dryer....

I've found that the best way to remove the ramsinks is to use a back and forth twisting motion to gently break the adhesive free. If you just yank straight off ythe card you're liable to do some damage.

Heat gun on low (or hair dryer on high) on the sinks and then use a pair of pliers to twist the sinks off.

Back