Seagate Exos 8TB Failing SeaTools Long and Short test

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Dam this is my 2nd Seagate spinner to fail on me (it wont pass the long or short test)...My other Seagate Barracuda 2TB fails the long test
Could swear both of them failed the long test years ago but would at least function normal and at least pass the short test. I tried using the fix tool on the Exos but it said fail
Never hurts to bag it up and put it in the freezer? :) Maybe i get lucky......dam thing was about 300 when i bought it.....No more spinners me thinks

thats about all thats left to do unless you have access to exact pcbs/firmware. you should have stopped using them and backed up years ago....
well one of them (2GB one) still seems to function normally so guess im looking into either one or 2 storage drives (movies, os backups, steam) should probably just shell out for another m2 drive? I never figured the cheaper older drive would outlive the newer expensive one :). Speed wise for spinners they were pretty good. So you seem to imply the hard drive gurus replace the pcb's in them? I always figured the problem was usually with the spinning parts

well one of them (2GB one) still seems to function normally so guess im looking into either one or 2 storage drives (movies, os backups, steam) should probably just shell out for another m2 drive? I never figured the cheaper older drive would outlive the newer expensive one :). Speed wise for spinners they were pretty good. So you seem to imply the hard drive gurus replace the pcb's in them? I always figured the problem was usually with the spinning parts
sometime its pcbs, sometimes its stuck heads. so if freezing it doesnt work at all then its probably a controller(pcb) problem. yes "experts" can swap a known good pcb with matching firmware to revive a drive.

Dont think this will work, but we gotta try
Capture.JPG

if you have data you want off it, do that first before attempting any more repairs.

no. it means it didnt find anything, this time.
ok will do...looks to be some kind of plater issue?....Because some of the files i can backup no issue at all

Definitelyt not a seagate issue. Any manufacturer can have these issues.
I get that...i just really thought by spending the extra money on a "commercial grade" drive used only for simple media storage and kept clean, cool and all that stuff, well you know it would hold up a little better. I remember an old WD drive that got so outdated and small but that thing was build like a tank and only retired them do to size after a decade or so. (and they were a fraction of the price)

I get that...i just really thought by spending the extra money on a "commercial grade" drive used only for simple media storage and kept clean, cool and all that stuff, well you know it would hold up a little better. I remember an old WD drive that got so outdated and small but that thing was build like a tank and only retired them do to size after a decade or so. (and they were a fraction of the price)
Every drive will fail. Every manufacturer will make a stinker now and then (75GXP, 7200.11, etc.) This is why backups are important. That said, a failure of diags (like a service engine soon light on your dashboard) is a warning that you should take seriously, lest you ignore it and the results are far worse.

Last edited:
Dam this is my 2nd Seagate spinner to fail on me (it wont pass the long or short test)...My other Seagate Barracuda 2TB fails the long test
Could swear both of them failed the long test years ago but would at least function normal and at least pass the short test. I tried using the fix tool on the Exos but it said fail
Never hurts to bag it up and put it in the freezer? :) Maybe i get lucky......dam thing was about 300 when i bought it.....No more spinners me thinks
May we see the SMART data? From something like Crystaldiskinfo?

May we see the SMART data? From something like Crystaldiskinfo?
absolutely here is the 8gb one giving me actual issues

Capture.JPG

its like i finally reached the failing part of the platter with the recent videos i put there for storage, because i can copy older files from it not problem. From here on out no more copying files to this drive at the very least.

absolutely here is the 8gb one giving me actual issues

View attachment 654220

its like i finally reached the failing part of the platter with the recent videos i put there for storage, because i can copy older files from it not problem. From here on out no more copying files to this drive at the very least.
Yeah that is all kinds of bad. UDMA CRC error rate sometimes suggests the data cable is loose or bad or too long. Load/unload cycle count is how many times it parked the reading head. That one is odd.
Reallocated and pending sectors are just that.
Even the G-sense got triggered (which is usually not a big deal, though).
That thing is toast, and no amount of re-formatting/erasing will refresh those platters.

ok well it needs a replacement....il take ideas for these, or maybe just grab a WD 8 or 10TB spinner? I mean sure an 8TB m2 would be nice but the cost is not really worth it for media storage

View attachment 654223
i guess the 2gb one is ok? nope
My comment was to the 8 TB one, we crossed the streams :D

But, alas, the other one isn't doing good either. SATA downshift is another cabling indicator. It can also progress into other types of errors, usually correctable.

Other than the drives, I'd look into the SATA cables. If you have extensive cable management going, using long data cables, I would get another pair and maybe shorter ones. Just in case that was one of the factors to begin with.

Is it worth playing odds on referb drive?......i see amazon has seagate 10TB for $120....of course at least one of my drives are under warranty but i need another drive to back it up lol

Is it worth playing odds on referb drive?......i see amazon has seagate 10TB for $120....of course at least one of my drives are under warranty but i need another drive to back it up lol
i personally wouldnt

i personally wouldnt
yea i personally haven't see great results with referbs...you work in IT and deal with this stuff all the time...any brand you would go for? i am a perfect 3 for 3 with seagates failing. Does it help buying enterprise and targeting the higher cache of 512mb?

yea i personally haven't see great results with referbs...you work in IT and deal with this stuff all the time...any brand you would go for? i am a perfect 3 for 3 with seagates failing. Does it help buying enterprise and targeting the higher cache of 512mb?
ive mostly moved on from spinners and have no experience with the ent. stuff but i have had good luck with WD drives and toshibas are looking decent these days too.

Adding on, a higher grade drive may last longer, but nothing lasts forever. Spinners fail, SSDs fail (less often, but more spectacularly). You really should have 3 copies of things you care about, and one of those should be offsite. The 3-2-1 backup rule suggests having two types of media, but I don't think that's reasonable unless your important stuff is small enough to fit on a couple blu-rays or large enough that tape makes sense.

Once you have a good backup system, disk failures aren't a big deal as long as you notice them promptly. When I ran thousands of big spinners for work, we would alert on reallocated sectors and replace around 100; but we had a lot of legacy drives with more from before we were tracking, the drives that caused operational problems were usually 400-1000, but those drives also often did fine too. SSDs tend to become a brick with zero warning; feels like 10% of the failure rate of spinners, but no hope of recovery.

I'd rate your 2tb drive as still usable, but it's had a good life and is very small. Hopefully the uncorrectable sectors are in free space or unimportant files.

That toshiba looks fine, but so does any CMR drive. Get a second (or third) one a while later, try to reduce the risk of hitting a same batch production error, or a same firmware error where all the drives fail when the timer overflows and it's the same time because you installed them all at the same time.

Back