Starfield

With the new update I went ahead and loaded existing save. First issue I noticed was not being able to pick up out in the open resources unless they were in a container. So, wiped saves and started new game. Hopefully I won't experience the same issue.

Edit: Found the culprit: StarUI and associated add-ons. Once disabled, back to picking up resources and such.

Last edited:
With the new update I went ahead and loaded existing save. First issue I noticed was not being able to pick up out in the open resources unless they were in a container. So, wiped saves and started new game. Hopefully I won't experience the same issue.

Edit: Found the culprit: StarUI and associated add-ons. Once disabled, back to picking up resources and such.

There was supposedly a workaround for StarUI to enable pick up of out-in-the-open resources. Doesn't work.

As much as I dislike the stock interface it'll have to do until StarUI is updated.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
And here we have it... 1003 hours into Starfield and still enjoying the game.

1716853225762.png

How? their nothing to do after the first planet. Game would have been amazing if we could have flown around in atmosphere or land right on top poi. Did they ever make a mod for the 5 minutes walk to every poi?
Ship building has me over 600 hours in the game. Sure, I've played through the entire game a couple times but the rest is all in the ship builder.

Ship building has me over 600 hours in the game. Sure, I've played through the entire game a couple times but the rest is all in the ship builder.
By the time I quit I had beaten the campaign 8 times and gone through Unity around 40 times. And I barely touched the builder lol, I just copied other people's build guides.
Crazy game.

But the game doesn't actually model flight and travel, just floating around small skyboxes with some basic pew pew combat, so it isn't ship design a feature that is disconnected from any larger game play ramifications because space travel in the game doesn't exist, it's just fast travel?

But the game doesn't actually model flight and travel, just floating around small skyboxes with some basic pew pew combat, so it isn't ship design a feature that is disconnected from any larger game play ramifications because space travel in the game doesn't exist, it's just fast travel?
Actually, it does model flight. With mods to speed up the flight speed of the ships, you can actually fly around within a star system. The limitation is that you can't actually approach a planet and fly through its atmosphere, land etc. The problem is that they scaled it for realistic flight speeds, not sub-light the way we see in Star Wars and Star Trek. However, travel to other star systems is essentially fast travel, which is fine. I don't think realistically modeling that would be beneficial.

This wasn't supposed to be No Man's Sky, and anyone that had those kinds of expectations has obviously never paid attention to the fact that Bethesda's game design can best be described as early to mid-2000's RPG. The game systems function as they did in Oblivion and probably even Morrowind. As for the ship design goes, I could go on about how customization can make combat easier or harder, but that isn't the point. I simply enjoy doing it.

Last edited:
Actually, it does model flight. With mods to speed up the flight speed of the ships, you can actually fly around within a star system. The limitation is that you can't actually approach a planet and fly through its atmosphere, land etc. The problem is that they scaled it for realistic flight speeds, not sub-light the way we see in Star Wars and Star Trek. However, travel to other star systems is essentially fast travel, which is fine. I don't think realistically modeling that would be beneficial.

This wasn't supposed to be No Man's Sky, and anyone that had those kinds of expectations has obviously never paid attention to the fact that Bethesda's game design can best be described as early to mid-2000's RPG. The game systems function as they did in Oblivion and probably even Morrowind. As for the ship design goes, I could go on about how customization can make combat easier or harder, but that isn't the point. I simply enjoy doing it.
Game would have been 100000x better had it just been based in sol and had a handful of memorable zones/poi. What kills it for me is the fly to new system, fly to a planet. Fight 3 bad ships, land then run 5 minutes to a poi that I have probably seen before.

The one good zone was the alien quest. Had they just made more stuff like that would have been amazing

Game would have been 100000x better had it just been based in sol and had a handful of memorable zones/poi. What kills it for me is the fly to new system, fly to a planet. Fight 3 bad ships, land then run 5 minutes to a poi that I have probably seen before.

The one good zone was the alien quest. Had they just made more stuff like that would have been amazing
I would have preferred a less "realistic" approach to the game world complete with aliens and a less NASA looking aesthetic. But I think that level of creativity is probably far beyond Bethesda and Todd Howard at this point. They make choices that rarely if ever make sense. Partly because their design choices are what they've always done and previous games made tons of money.

My problem is quest design, so far. I am not that far into it but quest design seems lacking. As does story. FO4 was a step back compared to FO3/NV, but so far Starfield feels like 10 steps backwards from that. Even trying to find alternative ways to do a quest is often limiting and the player punished. But maybe better quests come down the line.

I would have preferred a less "realistic" approach to the game world complete with aliens and a less NASA looking aesthetic. But I think that level of creativity is probably far beyond Bethesda and Todd Howard at this point. They make choices that rarely if ever make sense. Partly because their design choices are what they've always done and previous games made tons of money.
Yeah I'm honestly not sure how they made the game feel so "dead" all the other games had really interesting poi/ quests. if you walked for 5 minutes you would find several cool things along the way to make walking to that poi interesting....starfield idk what it is about the game it just isn't fun and all the parts of the game are just ok and I don't think it can be fixed with mods.

Ship building is cool but feels very lacking and shallow.

Exploring very very shallow and is about as fun as mass effect 1 mako driving around.

Quests are very avg at best with a few cool ones mixed in.

The one good part is the rpg part is pretty good.

Yeah I'm honestly not sure how they made the game feel so "dead" all the other games had really interesting poi/ quests. if you walked for 5 minutes you would find several cool things along the way to make walking to that poi interesting....starfield idk what it is about the game it just isn't fun and all the parts of the game are just ok and I don't think it can be fixed with mods.

Everything feels so generic. Example: A mission may take you to this place, you spend 10 minutes going there. And then you're there for two whole minutes just to hear a bit of a conversation. This massive facility, with absolutely nothing to do there. Maybe a few rounds of ammo, but mostly pens and notebooks to pick up. There is nothing of interest in this location, nothing to read, no real interaction except the simple conversation. Then you have to fast travel back to continue the conversation. It is constantly making you go from point A to B, and it isn't smooth. Open 3 menus, wait for menu animations, can't fly and auto dock, need to hold a button, watch cutscene, watch more cutscenes, hold more buttons, then finally complete an action. Even the upgrades are annoying. Run out of breathe less quickly. Spend an upgrade point... then run out of breathe 50 times to actually unlock it. Why make us spend an upgrade point on it in the first place?

Feels like they tried to make the game as aggravating as possible.

Ship building is cool but feels very lacking and shallow.

Exploring very very shallow and is about as fun as mass effect 1 mako driving around.

Quests are very avg at best with a few cool ones mixed in.

The one good part is the rpg part is pretty good.
The ship building is fairly shallow, but this is primarily due to the extreme limitations of the system out of the box and the limitations it puts on how many weapons you can have and the difficulty, or lack thereof of the space combat. When you mod the crap out of the game, you can do a lot more with the system, but it makes the combat even more trivial. That's the biggest downside. Also, its clear the systems in the game can't handle much given how much of an impact customizing your ship can have on frame rates and overall performance. It can also bloat your save files significantly. I've built ships with detailed interiors that are 20 decks high and 300m in length.

The game can't handle more than 16 weapons at a time (the rest become decorative), and the engine can't light the interiors properly, etc. Not only that, but the maps on the planets and the terrain were never designed to accommodate even the stock 40m ship length in some places showing just how much of an afterthought the system was. Even so, its the most interesting part of the game. At least when you start modding the game anyway.

I'll never understand why there's so much enthusiasm about modding bethesdas POS game engine, at least since 2015 or so. It's polishing a turd. Might have been cool a decade ago but not today. Makes me feel sorry for those people like the Fallout London team all that effort on such a garbage engine. ( I find it amusing that it came back to bite them in the ass when Bethesda's failed update to fallout 4 screwed over the release of their mod.)

Hopefully now that the Witcher 3 mod tool has been released, modders will focus on a game engine that's actually worthy of the effort

I'll never understand why there's so much enthusiasm about modding bethesdas POS game engine, at least since 2015 or so. It's polishing a turd. Might have been cool a decade ago but not today. Makes me feel sorry for those people like the Fallout London team all that effort on such a garbage engine. ( I find it amusing that it came back to bite them in the ass when Bethesda's failed update to fallout 4 screwed over the release of their mod.)

Hopefully now that the Witcher 3 mod tool has been released, modders will focus on a game engine that's actually worthy of the effort
People blame Bethesda's game engine for all kinds of crap but that's not what hurts Starfield the most. A lot of what people attribute to the game engine isn't engine related. They are deliberate design decisions. We know this because modders are able to remove a significant amount of these perceived engine flaws. If it was inherent to the engine, they wouldn't be able to do that.

UI in this game, both visually and control wise, is some of the worst I've ever used in a video game. The simplest things are often impossible to find or are bound to two functions at once.

And nothing is explained, or logical in anyway. Editing a ship is no different than editing a mech in a game like Armored Core 6. In AC6, not everything can be thrown on at once but it clearly tells you what something does, what you need to remove, and what is causing an incompatibility. There is nothing in Starfield. They expect us to mash buttons for a few hours figuring out what can or can't fit on our ship? Really dumb, considering it is more or less required because the default ship is useless should you get into a space fight.

UI in this game, both visually and control wise, is some of the worst I've ever used in a video game. The simplest things are often impossible to find or are bound to two functions at once.

And nothing is explained, or logical in anyway. Editing a ship is no different than editing a mech in a game like Armored Core 6. In AC6, not everything can be thrown on at once but it clearly tells you what something does, what you need to remove, and what is causing an incompatibility. There is nothing in Starfield. They expect us to mash buttons for a few hours figuring out what can or can't fit on our ship? Really dumb, considering it is more or less required because the default ship is useless should you get into a space fight.
Name a Bethesda Softworks game that has ever had a good UI.

Es3 Morrowind for it time was not bad.
Managing inventory with just graphical icons is a pain in the ass, the in-game map is useless, and the UI doesn't scale at all. Even playing this game at release at 1600x1200 resolution was a chore due to how small the UI got. The one good thing about it was the journal. I didn't play a whole lot of RPGs back then on PC, so I don't really know how it compares to other games from the time.

Name a Bethesda Softworks game that has ever had a good UI.

That is true. I hated the Pipboy but I understood why it was there and had some in universe/story related relevance. Starfield just has bad UI. What I find interesting is that during the age of space travel they have not yet invented the radio. Outside of ship to ship, people cannot seem to remotely contact on another. Even when it comes to a station station right above a planet. I did a quest where you start in the Lodge, fly to an area, do something for a few minutes, fly back to the Lodge, and then fly to a space station, have a 60-80 second conversation, and then fly back down. That did not need an in person visit.

The biggest problem is they seemed to have completely lost what made the Fallout games good, despite their many shortcomings. The quest design is awful. Gone are the unique to the area quests; they're all so generic now. Almost all encounters are very much the same and almost all quests are more travel time (animations, loading screens) than real gameplay. It seems like on 8/10 quests I play there is zero real choice, aside from kill someone or not kill someone. Maybe a handful of quests I've played so far offer any option aside from that.

While not quite the same, I would say Mass Effect Andromeda did what Bethesda tried to do better. But the natural exploration was superior and the story more coherent. Yeah it was a huge step back from the original trilogy and a bad Mass Effect game, but I think it was a better Starfield game than Starfield. I also think it looked graphically superior.

Anyone get stuttering when switching weapons? Was fine before but now I am getting some stutters when switching weapons.

Anyone get stuttering when switching weapons? Was fine before but now I am getting some stutters when switching weapons.
This was caused by the game loading all your gun stats each time you swap guns. So the more stuff you carry, the worse it gets.
Was fixed in a very early patch back in November or something.

But there is also a mod fix for it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2830

This was caused by the game loading all your gun stats each time you swap guns. So the more stuff you carry, the worse it gets.
Was fixed in a very early patch back in November or something.

But there is also a mod fix for it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2830

Still getting it in the current build, so looks like it may still be present. Will look into the mod then.

Edit: Quick suggestion for those that get bogged down and bored with the menial tasks.

How to add credits via console:

player.additem f enter amount here

I have spend too much time picking up junk just to sell it, and to me is a very outdated gameplay mechanic and does not even fit the theme of this game. So what I just do is keep a mental note of all the crappy weapons, suits and other junk I could have picked up each mission but don't. And rather than spending 15 minutes sorting inventory, traveling to a store to sell said junk, I just add some credits roughly equal to the amount after each mission. Starfield is one of those games where a mission could be 15 minutes of real gameplay, but the collecting and sorting of junk is also 15 minutes.

And here is a list of crafting IDs:
Crafting IDs.

Also a great way to cut down on time spent using the shitty UI and transferring resources back and fourth. The game should have been designed better with credits per quest completed and should not rely on picking up junk, but the console commands make the game playable. I was going to quit because picking up junk constantly is the opposite of fun for me but being able to skip that has allowing me to keep my interest up just enough to keep playing.

Last edited:
Back