Help: memory speeds resets to stock speed after Windows restart

psy81

Gawd
For some reason my when I restart Windows 11, my memory speeds go back to the default speed of 4800MHz. It's rated to run at 5600Mhz on the MB QVL list and was running fine until recently.

Normally when I restart Windows, it will restart without turning off but lately it turns off and then turns back on. When it does this, I know my memory is going back to the stock speed.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

Dumb question, but have you checked your bios setting to make sure xmp is enabled?

For some reason my when I restart Windows 11, my memory speeds go back to the default speed of 4800MHz. It's rated to run at 5600Mhz on the MB QVL list and was running fine until recently.

Normally when I restart Windows, it will restart without turning off but lately it turns off and then turns back on. When it does this, I know my memory is going back to the stock speed.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance.
So you hit restart inside windows, the computer shuts down, then automatically powers back up with your ram speed at default? Are any other bios settings resetting?

So you hit restart inside windows, the computer shuts down, then automatically powers back up with your ram speed at default? Are any other bios settings resetting?
Just the ram... when this happens the pc actually turns off and then back on again.

Sometimes the ram speed wont reset to default speed on restart and in those instances the pc stays on during windows restart

Just the ram... when this happens the pc actually turns off and then back on again.

Sometimes the ram speed wont reset to default speed on restart and in those instances the pc stays on during windows res
Are you running the latest bios version for your mobo?
Yes I updated to lastest bios. Was happening on previous bios as well.

To me it sounds like on the reboot, something fails, like the overclock, and then it power cycles and boots at default ram speed.
Do you happen to have a spare SSD to load Windows 10 on to play with and see if the same problem happens with that OS installed?
Maybe a CPU or PSU issue, memory controller or power delivery.

Reactions: psy81
like this
To me it sounds like on the reboot, something fails, like the overclock, and then it power cycles and boots at default ram speed.
Do you happen to have a spare SSD to load Windows 10 on to play with and see if the same problem happens with that OS installed?
Maybe a CPU or PSU issue, memory controller or power delivery.
I was thinking the same thing as well since this only happens the "PC turns off" when I restart Windows. It isn't normal behaviour for my PC to turn off when restarting Windows. If the PC doesn't turn off on Windows restart, I know I'm good and the DOCP profile is working.

The PC isn't overclocked either so perhaps its some sort of hardware issue.

Update: set my memory at the rated speed of 5600MHz manually without using DOCP profile and everything else set to automatic and so far so good. The only bad thing is the memory timings are looser now. Thanks for your input everyone. I'll provide any notable updates if any in case anyone else experiences similar issues.

Last edited:
psy81
using things like AMP profile or DOCP (and what other brands name it), is considered ocing (ram/bus).
so far, using ryzen its better to manually set clocks/voltages/main timings (according to ram spec), and not those auto modes.

@owcraftsman
most XMP profiles will not work good on amd, since its for intel, unless kit is also certified for AMP, as timings are usually not possibly as low as they could be, vs using it on intel.
even seen it on good stuff like b-die kits, e.g. xmp profile is 14-16-16-16/1T, while it does 14-22-22-22/2T when on AUTO with ryzen (at same clock/volt).

Last edited:
yup, thats how i roll. turn on xmp/docp/expo, note the settings and then flip it to manual and enter the settings. i only do the important ones like those^^^ and leave all the fine timings on auto though.

pendragon1
worth finding out what die it is, and look for improvement (clock vs timings), as gains can be significant.

eg. i can easily do 16-16-16-16-32-48/16@1T, 320 RFC while using 1.35, and get much better perf than stock XMP/AMP profile (14-16-16-36-52/40) @1.45v

Back