Lian Li V300 Review

Nixeh

n00b
And here it is... My review of the Lian-Li V300.

**NOTE* This review doesnt include installation due to the lack of a dremel**

"The Package"

When i got this case out of the box, i was quite suprised.

First off, i wasnt sure if it was bigger then i had thought, as i didnt want something 'Too big'.

Second, ive always been a big fan of black cases, so i was a bit skeptical of getting a silver. But im glad, as the case looks brilliant.

What do you get for your money... i hear you say
1.jpg

Along with the case, you get 3 internal 80mm fans, and a load of hdd screws, spacers and a screwdriver(Spacer screwdriver not crosshead), which all comes in handy if you dont have all the tid bits around.

"The Quality"

I am really suprised with the build of this case. Lian-Li are known well for their high quality builds, but wasnt to sure if they would skip in certain places to get the price down to what it retails at.

Thankfully, when i got the case out i could see that i was sorely mistaken, as the case has a wonderful finish and looks beautiful.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The case is very sturdy and could probably withstand a lot of weight... though i didnt want to be proved wrong on that aswell.

7.jpg

Unlike some cheaper cases with dodgy side panels which can be very troublesome to remove or put back on, the side panels were nicely made. They are attached to the case with 6 crosshead screws, and this simplicity makes it easy for any modder to get their own custom made or modded side panel (like i plan to do when i remove the excess floppy and cd caddy).

On the right side panel, theres a thin 80mm extract fan. The fan seems to be a small 20mm thick fan, and from the looks of things you wont be able to squeeze a 25mm thick fan there instead.
8.jpg

Fear the old school ruler :)

Once you have stripped down the case to its main chassis, you will notice that its quite spacious. To me i think when everything is installed, it will be even more roomy then the q-micra... then add that it looks good and you got a winner.

9.jpg

The removable mother tray is nothing special.

22.jpg

Its a solidily built motherboard tray, with a nice finish. You also have to 2 40mm fan mounts at the back which would be great for getting a push pull airflow going in your case.

I did notice something though whilst putting it back in.

27.jpg

The motherboard backplate seems to be warped. Im not sure if this is just on mine as i had mine brought from the states, or if i was a bit to careless. Hopefully its not a manufacturing fault as it just meant the thumb screws sometimes got a bit funny.

From the back you will notice the grill just above where the psu will be housed.

10.jpg

Now i havent tested it but im guessing it will leave room up above the psu, let alone i dont think it will reduce temps much. But i thought that if they moved the psu up more, it would of given people extra room to get some beasty CPU coolers in there no problem.

12.jpg

The HDD caddy is also a nice touch. Easily accessible, albeit a bit different. Its not made out of some useless material either that will break quite easily, like other screwless HDD caddies.

Good thing about this design that even a monkey could work it out :D

13.jpg

I did notice something when i was exploring my case which is going to be just a bit annoying.

15.jpg

The fans seem to be screwed in from the grill side... but the grill covers the screw head. Lucky enough it looks like you can unscrew at the bottom of the side chassis which will release the panel mounting the fans, usb/audio dongle thingy, and also the reset switch, which could be handy for modders.

Also whilst here i decided to measure how much room there was at the front. I got this case purely cause i was almost positive i could rig a dual 120mm radiator and fans at the front, which made this case easily the better buy for me as i want to watercool in the coming months.

18.jpg

The 80mm fans on the front are your basic 80x80x25mm.

Next was seeing how much you are going to have to mod out to see if a 120mm fan would fit.
As most people with watercooling will have higher end cards, then the chances are they will have to mod the floppy caddy.. i just thought why not remove it seeing as hardly anyone uses it.

With the floppy caddy modded out there would be amples of room to fit the fan in. There is also easily enough width on this case aswell.

20.jpg

Only problem is you will have a slight fan obstruction in the centre due to the black 'bezel', though as the fan mount is sat back by about 1cm it means that it wont be too much of a hinderance.

My other problem with fitting watercooling would be if there would be enough free space between the fan mount and the removable motherboard tray?

30.jpg

Im lucky enough to say to you modders out there that it can house it perfectly. If you say you have 70mm to work with to get the rad and fans in there then youre laughing.

"Conclusion"

As you can see from the pictures the quality of the build is superb and you do really get value for your money, let alone its half the size of a normal ATX case. Its a sturdy case, with what i think are great looks, and a fantastic price.

I think Lian-Li have made a good product with the V300, but they overlooked things that could of put this as the peoples firm favourite SFF Case, which are:

Lack of 9" card support. This is a serious foul up by the design team. But with a tiny bit of modding its easily rectified.

Floppy Disk Drive. I think im with the majority of people here that make them near enough useless. If it wasnt there this case would be a modders dream.

Apart from those points i think this case is superb, and is better then the Q-Micra (though i havent actually owned one), but for value for money, build quality, and potential, it sure is close.

I know this review doesnt have the installation of components, but i will post a project log and link it on from here that will show what you can do with this case once that floppy caddy is out of the way.

Also just to give you a reference of what its like size-wise and style-wise compared to some other desktop components i thought id chuck this in.

37.jpg

Hope you liked the review :)

Nice review Nixeh. I linked it to my Boss (he reviewed the the V300 here) and he asked that I pass along some props. He has w/c his v300 so if you need any help let him know.

Liked his review.

Always liked reviewing things when i get them but never get round to putting it down here.

If he needs any help reviewing at box gods then let him know :p

But yeah very nice case.

He got any pics of the modified job?

Well, he went all out and did the full mod with h20, new side panels, lights etc for a follow-up article. His personal rig for the BYOC at Qcon also. Now he is neck deep in a company mod for the show, so the article got shoved on the back burner. I will post linkage in here when it pubsthough, and btw, he might not be opposed to a new reviewer either. You should email him.

Well ill see what people think from my review, as its my first one. If its good feedback then i will.

Thanks you for taking the measurement for watercooling. I have been waiting a week for someone to look into it. I also am going to be watercooling so I look forward to any pics you post of your progress. Will you be making your own side panels?

Nice review, but how can you say it is better than a Qmicra if you haven't had one?

mattro said:
Nice review, but how can you say it is better than a Qmicra if you haven't had one?

yeah, don't comment on stuff you can't comment on. I have a Qmicra and not a PC-V300 so you don't hear me stating something definate like that. I trust Dworley assessment though since he has both.

the V300 a SFF???

there's not that much S in that FF if you ask me.

Especially considering that drive bays are on both sides of the case so you potentially couldn't place the thing by a wall or monitor. that eats up even more space.

or is that just crazy talk?

i say its crazy talk. There is only room to place them on one side or the other, not both. Its just made like that so that you have the option to put them on the side you want so that you CAN put it against a wall of monitor. Or anywhere else you might want.

When i said about it being better then the Q-micra, ive done it with the help of various reviews. But there are 3 things i dont like about the qmicra.

1) The looks, i know this is completely subjective but i dont like the look of it.

2) The price, far to high for me to even contemplate.

3) For me an SFF is a pc that can use most of the space efficiently without having a large footprint. Let alone it doesnt equate to much space, but the diagonal edges at the top waste valuable space. And also you cant put a dual 120mm in the qmicra without doing some serious modding and moving the the hdds around.

But both the V300 and the Qmicra have hit on something really nicely. The dimensions. I think the dimensions of the case are spot on. Not to big and not to small, but boy oh boy you could pack this full of watercooling and highend components and still have nice amount of room to tinker.

I hopefully will be getting the Dremel from work tomorrow so i can start planning and working on this.

The project log will be link in here, and yes there will be oodles of pics.
And also yes i am planning on getting the sides remade so its only got 2 or 1 cdrom slot, depending what i go on, and either etching or some window design.

Yes this is a SFF, and a very nice one. :)

If and when you do get a custom side made please post info on where or how you got it. I also want some custome sides. The only thing is that I will have the black version. I was actually pondering buying some replacement sides for a larger size lian li case and cutting them down.

Nixeh said:
When i said about it being better then the Q-micra, ive done it with the help of various reviews. But there are 3 things i dont like about the qmicra.

1) The looks, i know this is completely subjective but i dont like the look of it.

2) The price, far to high for me to even contemplate.

3) For me an SFF is a pc that can use most of the space efficiently without having a large footprint. Let alone it doesnt equate to much space, but the diagonal edges at the top waste valuable space. And also you cant put a dual 120mm in the qmicra without doing some serious modding and moving the the hdds around.

But both the V300 and the Qmicra have hit on something really nicely. The dimensions. I think the dimensions of the case are spot on. Not to big and not to small, but boy oh boy you could pack this full of watercooling and highend components and still have nice amount of room to tinker.

I hopefully will be getting the Dremel from work tomorrow so i can start planning and working on this.

The project log will be link in here, and yes there will be oodles of pics.
And also yes i am planning on getting the sides remade so its only got 2 or 1 cdrom slot, depending what i go on, and either etching or some window design.

Yes this is a SFF, and a very nice one. :)

Well, I guess this isn't an official review so its ok I suppose. The slanted edge this is a bit odd....that space isn't exactly needed for anything. As for the dual 120mm radiator..there is no SFF That takes this without modding so that is a little odd too. Perhaps a better way of putting it is " I think this case is better than any other case" as opposed to singling out the Qmicra for a rather odd reason.

Well i judge sffs on...

Style
Space
Possibilities
ease of use.

All of which this case seems good.

Though i am a bit suprised as from various sites around the net they are claiming that this case is 280mm or 300mm wide. Obviously this means a lot in terms of squeezing a dual 120mm rad in the front. I did measure it and it is 283mm wide which means it narrows the radiators down a bit.

Ill have a look later for ones that can fit in that space

index.php

The new Black Ice GT 240 will fit. Acorrding to the scematic on performance pcs it is 277mm ttall. I have ordered one and should have it and the case later this week. I hope to take pics then and post them up for people to see.

Nixeh said:
Well i judge sffs on...

Style
Space
Possibilities
ease of use.

All of which this case seems good.

Though i am a bit suprised as from various sites around the net they are claiming that this case is 280mm or 300mm wide. Obviously this means a lot in terms of squeezing a dual 120mm rad in the front. I did measure it and it is 283mm wide which means it narrows the radiators down a bit.

Ill have a look later for ones that can fit in that space
Fine, but next time compare it to all cases instead of singling out about stuff ya don't know ;)

Steve, ive seen one in the shop before and had a tinker with it so know the quality... but its the leader in sff, everyone compares soemthing to whatever is the best to see if it will beat it.

Steeve, he was just expressing his opinions man. Do you always have to pimp Qmicra? Like take a day off and let him have his opinion man lol and have you actually seen a V300? Also, he wasnt claiming to be a pro reviewer, was posting his findings for the benifit of other readers... better yet, lets just cut to the part where you delete your posts...

I guess we could ask the same about you pimping the PC-V300?

I just found it odd that he chose the "Qmicra" (a case he doesn't have) to compare to. You could compare it to the SG01 which is a little more comparable but that wasn't done. I appreciate the review but it would be nice if the poster ventured from the PC-V300 threads and maybe give us an assessment of comparison on other SFF cases he has...or even ATX cases. I don't have a PC-V300 so I don't have much room to say which is better (in review format) but I can comment on a few things.

I certainly don't pimp the V300, you of all people saying that is SO funny. I was supporting a nice guy that went out of his way to take pictures, write a user review, post it all, and take measurments for another forum reader who had questions. Then you pop in here (a V300 thread) and start in on the Qmicra thing. We all know from your 3 million posts that you are a 100% Qmicra fan, and that is certainly your right. Nixeh's intentions were good, his effort substantial. He used the Qmicra as a reference because it is considered to be a decent case, and as he said, almost the yardstick other cases are measured against.
Insulting his review skills was just plain bad form. He did not claim to be a professional reviewer (like you do) and even pointed out he was just posting a users view point. If he thinks the case is better than another case he has seen, so what? he pointed out all the issues of the V300 that other professional reviews have without sugar coating them. He says the case has shortcomings, but offers work-arrounds. The [H]ardForums are awesome because of readers like Nixeh who do their best to contribute information and help others. He isn't pimping anything, or even knocking the Qmicra.

Thanks for the pictures and the write up! Just ordered one off newegg, should be here Thursday or Friday.

Now to find a mATX S939 board that suits me and I'll be golden!

Anyone want a much loved PC-65B and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum? :p

MrSlacker said:
I certainly don't pimp the V300, you of all people saying that is SO funny. I was supporting a nice guy that went out of his way to take pictures, write a user review, post it all, and take measurments for another forum reader who had questions. Then you pop in here (a V300 thread) and start in on the Qmicra thing. We all know from your 3 million posts that you are a 100% Qmicra fan, and that is certainly your right. Nixeh's intentions were good, his effort substantial. He used the Qmicra as a reference because it is considered to be a decent case, and as he said, almost the yardstick other cases are measured against.
My point is you can't measure against something you don't know of. Do you see me compare any case to the PC-V300? No. I do appreciate his review (and I have said this) but the comparison between one case he doesn't have (and makes odd assumptions about) is a little on the odd side. It would be the same if he said "This thing is certainly better than the Qpack (oh which I don't have)". Ok...then how can you say? It just seemed odd and thats all I said ;) Don't get mad at me....others did so as well.

Nixeh said:
Steve, ive seen one in the shop before and had a tinker with it so know the quality... but its the leader in sff, everyone compares soemthing to whatever is the best to see if it will beat it.
Steeeeve said:
I don't have a PC-V300 so I don't have much room to say which is better
He has seen a Qmicra, you by your own admission have not seen a V300...what seems odd is that your actually doing what you call odd--comparing one case to another that you haven't seen--and he isn't lol.

I think we should stop the arguements now before this becomes locked. But thanks for your support MrSlacker, but i see where Steeeve is coming from.

No i have not owned a Q-Micra.
No i have not installed things in the case. (but neither have i with the v300)

But i have seen it in person and been able to swing it around give it a good look, and i judged it... thats the exactly the same thing about the v300. Same method of judgement but i thought the v300 was the better.

Also i thought qmicra is a better example then comparing to the Sugo, as the qmicra is near on identical on the measurements, which would make it close to volume... and therefore the internal space of the case.

I do heartly agree on me reviewing other cases. I would review other cases, if i had the money (feel free to help me there reviewing sites :p) This is my first case i bought that was over £20.. that would show the 'quality and style' of the beige monsters i had before :)

Oh one thing i did forget about the qmicra that i do like and wish lian-li was the same, is the sound absorbtion padding around the case, which i thought was a nice touch.

MrSlacker said:
He has seen a Qmicra, you by your own admission have not seen a V300...what seems odd is that your actually doing what you call odd--comparing one case to another that you haven't seen--and he isn't lol.
How is saying "I have no room to compare" making a comparison?

But I thank Nixeh for responding and clearing that up for us and unlike some, I will take him at his word instead of making arbitrary hypocritical remarks :)

Steeeeve said:
How is saying "I have no room to compare" making a comparison?

But I thank Nixeh for responding and clearing that up for us and unlike some, I will take him at his word instead of making arbitrary hypocritical remarks :)
GOOD one, that is SO funny :D
HAPPY 4th of July everyone

I'm planning on building a conroe SFF for college :), This case has kind of grown on me, especially when I was gonna play $100 for the windowless microfly. I have some questions to the owners of this case.

1. Has anyone tried to put in a 7900gt, because that's what I'm going to be putting in, and I'm just wondering if I'm gonna run into any problems. The card is 8in, I think, so it should be ok (real life proof would make me feel better though). I'm comfortable with dremeling it, but I would prefer not to.

2. Is the front bezel removable? I plan on getting a black one, because everything I have is black, and I like it. I know the drive and fan bays show through the front. In real life, how obtrusive is this. I'm hoping the front is removable so maybe I can paint the parts the show through the front black.

3. How are the HDDs cooled. HDD cooling has never been a big issue with me, but it seems like no air gets to the HDDs. Just a minor concern, because I have OEMs that have no HDD cooling and they are fine.

4. The front fans are 80mm correct? Newegg and a couple other places say they are, but I remember hearing before it was released that they were 40s, which I highly doubted. It would take a load off my mind if they were 80's (The side is 80 as well, correct?)

5. Noise factor, how loud is this case? Right now the case in my room is pretty damn loud, I this it's the pos PSU in it. I'm getting an xClio 450watt psu, and it's supposed to be pretty quite with 2 120mm fans. I'm guessing it has to do with the 80 mm fans I use. Right now I have a bunch of coolermaster white led 80mm fans that I believe are quite (can't really tell because of the loud fans that are in my computer...) I'm thinking it will be nice, but I'm going to be in a dorm for a year and I want to be curteous to the person that's going to be living with me.

6. This is only kind of related to the case. Will the conroe be able to use heatsinks currently out on the market? If so what one would you reccomend for a quiter pc set up (We'll see what intel ships with the e6600...)

Thanks
-Matt

BTW Steve, just buy one, review it and if you don't like it sell it. You'll probably make it all back on eBay ;)

BTW Steve, just buy one, review it and if you don't like it sell it. You'll probably make it all back on eBay
I would like to do a fair review but I'd rather not have to buy one to do so. I trust Dworleys feelings as he has the most experience with SFF cases.

Well, if you don't do one by the end of the month, I'll do it for ya. I can't do the noise measurements, but I can do everything else... I'm pretty sure I'm getting this case.

1. Any card 8 inches or shorter will fit. If the card has the extra 6 pin power connector within 1/2 inch of the top edge of the card you may have to drill a hole for clearance, or use a $1.00 dollar hack say blade to make space--a very easy thing to do.

2. There is no front bezel, and the front of the case does not come off. If you feel inclined to paint the drive/floppy cage, the case CAN be disassembled, painted, and reassembled by anyone with even a tiny bit of mechanical ability--if you can work a can opener, you can do it. Here is a guide on frame off painting if your worried. I talked with Geno (he reviewed the V300 here and has a lot of helpful pictures in the review) who also has a black V300 now about the silver beneath and he said this. "Some small amount of silver does show through at certain angles. It is in no way obtrusive and actually contributes subtly to the look. The holes in the face are black in the drilled out portion as well as the face so the silver is not overly in your face, even looking directly head on from fairly close. I took black construction paper and slid it in between the face and the interior components and the case actually looks better without it. There is about a half inch between the face and the silver parts behind it, so unless you take a flash picture, have the sides off, or otherwise try to make the silver overly obvious, it simply is not an issue. Lastly, almost the entire V series uses the perforated look and it has not been an issue"

3. The drives in the silver one, both 7200rpm 200GB WD drives have had zero issues to date from heat. If your worried, mount a small fan to the back with 4 screws. Yes I mean on the outside of the case...it's the back, and as I said, you don't NEED it as HDD heat is not an issue. The entire case cools well, and Lian-Li has one of those little animated diagrams on their site that shows the engineering that went in to the cooling.

4. Yes the front fans are 80mm, again refer to this review if you need further assurance.

5. The case is very tightly constructed. Even quiet fans/components will not help a loosely built/assembled case. The included fans are hardly noticeable, nearly silent even up close. The side panels (the biggest offenders for noise generating vibration) held in place with 6 screws EACH, and screws just do a better job than clips etc

6. Conroe will not use a new socket so you will be able to use the current heatsinks. All but the biggest heat sinks will fit and there are any number of quality coolers out there to choose from. I don't remember the number now, but there is an image with clearances for coolers measured that you can reference. Don't quote me, but I recall it was 10 cm.

Hope that helps =)

Steeeeve said:
I would like to do a fair review but I'd rather not have to buy one to do so. I trust Dworleys feelings as he has the most experience with SFF cases.

I will say that the Lian-Li V300B is my least favorite of the 4 SFF cases that I have (Micro Fly, QMICRA, SG01-E, V300B).

Keep in mind that I have been testing all 4 systems with the exact same components so I have a pretty good bit of experience with the differences in each case. I tend to use high end parts, so my issues may not be a concern for somebody just looking for a media center :D

These are my main gripes with the V300B

1. Cramped interior space and sub assemblies do not dissasemble - working on this thing is a real bEOtch.

2. Can not fit 7900GTX or X1900XT - even after modding, very difficult to route and connect power cables.

3. Hard drive cage is rigid and amplifies any vibration from the hard drives, I get a really bad oscillation / hum when using two drives.

4. Power supply mounting - no support for front or side, so it hangs down.

5. Hard drives run very hot

6. Can not fit SLI connector

dworley said:
I will say that the Lian-Li V300B is my least favorite of the 4 SFF cases that I have (Micro Fly, QMICRA, SG01-E, V300B).

Keep in mind that I have been testing all 4 systems with the exact same components so I have a pretty good bit of experience with the differences in each case. I tend to use high end parts, so my issues may not be a concern for somebody just looking for a media center :D

1. Cramped interior space and sub assemblies do not dissasemble - working on this thing is a real bEOtch.

2. Can not fit 7900GTX or X1900XT - even after modding, very difficult to route and
connect power cables.

3. Hard drive cage is rigid and amplifies any vibration from the hard drives, I get a really bad oscillation / hum when using two drives.

Would you change your mind if someone came up with a modded one? It seems like a very moddable case compare to others.

dworley said:

2. Can not fit 7900GTX or X1900XT - even after modding, very difficult to route and connect power cables.

Thanks, you have just changed my mind out this case, seems kind of trashy now.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Thanks, you have just changed my mind out this case, seems kind of trashy now.

I doubt it is trashy....nothing from Lian Li is trashy :p

When the PSU hangs from no support, that is trashy! I think I'm gonna get that jpac that newegg has. I don't care for the windows but it's the only thing that has what I want. Is there anywhere to buy some sort of black transparent plastic (something almost tinted I guess...) to replace the stock windows so the insides are a bit more subtle?

Back