Lian Li V300 Review

ScreamingBroccoli said:
Thanks, you have just changed my mind out this case, seems kind of trashy now.

It's a very good quality case and a unique design (not trashy), just not practcial for my purposes.

spade357 said:
Would you change your mind if someone came up with a modded one? It seems like a very moddable case compare to others.

If the internal sub assemblies were re-moveable / re-configurable then perhaps it would appeal to me more. As it is, there is less useable internal space available than with the Qpack, and even SG01.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
When the PSU hangs from no support, that is trashy! I think I'm gonna get that jpac that newegg has. I don't care for the windows but it's the only thing that has what I want. Is there anywhere to buy some sort of black transparent plastic (something almost tinted I guess...) to replace the stock windows so the insides are a bit more subtle?

just buy tinting from autozone for like $15 a roll.

ScreamingBroccoli said:
When the PSU hangs from no support, that is trashy! I think I'm gonna get that jpac that newegg has. I don't care for the windows but it's the only thing that has what I want. Is there anywhere to buy some sort of black transparent plastic (something almost tinted I guess...) to replace the stock windows so the insides are a bit more subtle?
I don't get why you have the JPAC over the Micro Fly...the MF is cheaper :)

Steeeeve said:
I don't get why you have the JPAC over the Micro Fly...the MF is cheaper :)

It's only about $5 more when you factor in shipping from other places. I maybe getting an sg01e if a deal goes though :)

Good points on the V300 dworley, ill have to check that out when i start work on this case.

Ive decided to take out both the floppy drive and the cd rom drive to leave enough room for watercooling.

and yes i do hate that you cant take it apart unless you want to Re-rivet the whole thing.. which im still wondering about atm.

I did wonder about the HDD mount as i thought that would be more of a songy material and all they seem to be is a hard plastic.

Thankfully work will start soon, as i have the dremel, just gotta wait for the weather to clear so i can pop up B&Q and get some cutting discs.

Hey guys, not to thread hijack or anything, but I have another thread in the watercooling section about me switching over to a SFF or something of similar size (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1068577). Anyway, I'm thinking of putting in a mATX 939 with a 4400+, 74GB Raptor, 750GB Seagate, 1 DVD drive, and a 7800GTX/7900GT video card. Along with that I'm thinking of getting an 5.25" pump/res watercooling system (probably the Koolance RP-1000) and watercooling the cpu and video card. I've looked around for a good case, but I haven't found anything that has really attracted me; that is until I saw the V300. For the owners out there, would a duel 80mm rad fit behind some fans in the front of the case, and what are you opinions on watercooling possibilities with this case? Thanks!

Well its got the space, the only problem is that normal dual 80mm radiators have the fans side by side. As you can see from my pictures, the dual 80mm at the front have got about 3cms between them.

or since you're already gonna be modding the case neways, cut some stuff up so they can b side by side :p

neogenesis2004 said:
Or cut some stuff up and fit a 2x120mm radiator in there like I am going to do.

What's you're plan on your watercooling? I've never cut a case up before, and I kinda don't wanna start with this one.

Im personally removing the floppy caddy and one of the cdrom caddies and modifying the 80mm fan mounts so they can mount a dual 120mm radiator there. Custom sides will be made to fill in the holes of the removed caddies.

Any one know if I could throw a 120.2 rad and grill where the cd bays are? Seems like it would be awfull close fit...

if you mean like cut the top above the bays, I dont see why it wouldnt fit. A cdrom is wider that 120mm and im sire there would be plenty of depth. You wouldnt be able to fit any drives other than the 3.5s though. Honestly I hadnt thought of putting it there before, but now im seriously thinking about it if its possible. I was going to be using a slot loading notebook dvd-rw anyway. Also I bought the side to a lian li v2000 from performance pcs for like ~$50 shipped. If the measurements listed on their site are correct I should be able to make 2 sides for the v300 from just one panel. The only downside for me is that the edges wont also be anodized black, but if I sand it well and make the edges flat it could turn out to be a nice accent to the case.

I was thinking of ripping out the cd rom bays and HD bay. Then I would put a BIP 120.2 up front and an aquatube where the hard drives were. :D Of course, the HD's and DVD drives would have to go in a external exclosure, but that would be OK.

Im tempted to order a v300 just to see how big it is. :cool:

Just got mine today. Awesome case. It does have it's quirks. Eventually I will mod my power supply to have shorter cables. Too bad there is no ATX power supply made for SFF(don't know if Ultra came out with theirs). The fans are quiet and the aluminum is thick. Great case for the price, I see no use for the 3.5 bay, unless you have a floppy, without it would be great for larger vid cards. Putting the system together is kind of messy and tricky, but once all the cables are plugged you can start tying the loose wires with plastic tie wraps. You can't put modular type power supply on this, the connectors are hard to plug in once you screw the power supply, there is little space left between the optical bay drive and power supply. That applies to large power supply also. I tried my Ultra and Hyper Power Supply with no success. I got the black from NewEgg, now they are out of them. Hope this will help with you guys decision on buying this great case.

reydio said:
I tried my Ultra and Hyper Power Supply with no success. I got the black from NewEgg, now they are out of them. Hope this will help with you guys decision on buying this great case.

You can't install the Ultra? I'm getting the Ultra X2 for this case. That'll suck if it doesn't fit cause i really like their modular flexible cables.

How big of a PSU can you fit, since... well, there's no standard for PSU sizes. I would really, really want modular if possible.

*Pics if possible. Thanks*

i have an enermax liberty in mine w/no problems. Just need to make room to fit my vid card is all :p. Also i moved the side exhaust fan to intake and lowered my cpu temps 2-3 degrees so was pretty happy w/that.

pics:

Kid8 said:
i have an enermax liberty in mine w/no problems. Just need to make room to fit my vid card is all :p. Also i moved the side exhaust fan to intake and lowered my cpu temps 2-3 degrees so was pretty happy w/that.

pics:

Thanks man. Seems like you have a really nice setup there.

spade357 said:
You can't install the Ultra? I'm getting the Ultra X2 for this case. That'll suck if it doesn't fit cause i really like their modular flexible cables.

Ya, you can't install the ultra X2, unless you plug in the cables first then install the power supply. Even then, it's a lot of work to juggle it in. I scratched up my Hiper Blue chrome trying to put it in. I bought an Antec True Power just for this case.

Another gripe, it's hard to install an add in card that is tall like the Audigy Soundcard. You will need to slide the motherboard out in order to install....that means, unplugging the cables you have tied up with tie wraps.

I just ordered a black one of these the other day. Speaking of the Qmicra, I got this $100 shipped from NewEgg. I could buy almost 4 of these for the price of ONE QMicra (Although I have nothing against them). I will soon be posting my worklog on modding! Putting in front mount water cooling, LCD panel and more. Adding laser cut windows on each side.

gr!m said:
I just ordered a black one of these the other day. Speaking of the Qmicra, I got this $100 shipped from NewEgg. I could buy almost 4 of these for the price of ONE QMicra (Although I have nothing against them). I will soon be posting my worklog on modding! Putting in front mount water cooling, LCD panel and more. Adding laser cut windows on each side.

3 of them.

You could also get 2 MicroFlys for the price of one Lian Li (depending on when you buy the MF).

You now can never complain about outsourcing jobs to China :)

Just bought one of these in black, must say im dissapointed that the inside chassis behind the front grill isn't black aswell :(

Is there a type of paint i could use on it to spray it all black? Or would it have to be a metallic paint or somethin?

Got some big plans for this box, (water cooled, dremelled, maybe even SLi if that mobo ever gets released ;)) ill post some pics when its done!

Woot, came in the mail today. This case is beautiful and will nicely. On a quick note, I snapped off the two side hinges on one of the bay covers and stealthed me DVD burner which now opens and closes with a mouse button :). (my mouse hase about 11 buttons, woot MX2000)

It is a nice case. I had to cut mine for my 7800GT to fit though, wihch kind of sucked and now that side is kind of weak and the drive bay covers don't hold real well (you can push them in with very little force, which is a pet peeve of mine when a case is sitting there with drive bay covers pushed in). Other than that everything is working pretty good, except for it not being up to Lian Li quality (previous issues discussed, such as screw holes not lining up etc.).
Jason

Thanks for this Nixeh!

I was heavily debating between this case ( 300B ) and the U.MF.

It seems the lan-Li is the better choice with room for a couple 120mm fans (with modding) and plenty of room for a beefy cpu heatsink.

JC

Back