Hope at last: DFI to make mATX crossfire/SLI boards

I think this will be a very sought after board, like the old EVGA one. Assuming if nobody else makes one. Bummer it took so long.

it's a shame that nVidia's 7 series chipsets are so cack and patently unsuitable for mATX SLI, but on the other hand AMD's 7 series chipsets look perfect for mATX crossfire.

You know, I was gonna come in and hate on SLI saying that it's not that useful, but instead, I'll just say good for ya'll! Plus it's been a while since I heard about anything from DFI. It's been Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte at the top for a while now...

i like SFF, and my aim is to play Cysis on Very High at 1920x1200 getting ~30FPS, that can't be done with one card, so SLI/Crossfire it is.

What... the... hell... I've been pleading for something like this for years, and finally gave up. I simply had to move on. Now this... While it's great news, I'm a little dismayed at the amount of time it's taken to finally get these things in production. Oh, I'll still be rocking mATX cases, but they'll be holding ATX boards (like Project: Rogue!)

What I'm hoping for is that someone comes out with a HARDWARE-accelerated onboard audio solution (a la Soundstorm), so that if someone wants to use dual-slot video cards in SLI/Xfire they won't be forced to use software-accelerated onboard that eats up CPU clock cycles.

The CA20K1 (X-Fi) chipset wouldn't have any problems fitting on a mATX mobo, would it? AMD it might (because of the monstrous CPU bracket), but I see it fitting on an Intel board easily (especially since there likely wouldn't be an onboard GPU taking up space).

I dont have any interest in SLI personally but I'm glad someone is finally going to make a mATX SLI mobo for those that do want one. If DFI does make them then perhaps other manufacturers will too? ASUS loves to compete against companies like DFI so maybe they'll give it a go as well if DFI sales are good. Its always better to have competition in any market segment. Better for the consumer anyway. I just hope the info is true and not some rumor going around.

hooray! dang.. can't wait. hopefully it hasn't been similar to dfi's recent releases. where the chip is pretty much obsolete, and being replaced by another chipset already, then they release it.. grrr... come in on time kickin ass would be awesome. put these other motherboard makers to shame! come on! dfi and asrock has repeatedly dissapointed me ever since the death of s939. so sad... so sad.

provided Creative sort out the linux driver for their X-Fi chip i would love to see a mATX board using the following:
> AMD 790FX northbridge
> AMD 700 southbridge
> X-FI sound chip
> solid caps etc

it would be a fantastic SFF powergamer board and would sell millions!

provided Creative sort out the linux driver for their X-Fi chip i would love to see a mATX board using the following:
> AMD 790FX northbridge
> AMD 700 southbridge
> X-FI sound chip
> solid caps etc

i would like an nVidia chipset version for AMD (or Intel) even better, but nVidia have to stop making 3 chip chipsets on outdated fabrication processes.

> AMD 790FX northbridge
> AMD 700 southbridge
> X-FI sound chip
> solid caps etc

Hopefully it's a real X-fi (i.e. Xtreme Gamer), not the Xtreme Audio MSI puts on their 680i and 780i boards.

indeed.

EAX 5.0 or nothing

but not until they provide a decent working linux driver!

Even if it's not bleeding edge technology, I would love to see a decent MATX board without all the extras, onboard sound optional? (do most people use a sound card?) with out onboard graphics, if it's going to be a purer gaming board, with the pci-e slots are 2.0 or at least running a full 16x each, (the old EVGA one only ran half speed) along with the cpu bottle neck in performance with todays video cards. Is there any idea on a release date?
If there was a company that focused on gaming LAN rigs where it was portable friendly, it would be the shiznit. (not the FNW-Fragbox)

Doubt we'll see the mobo before June. I'm thinking Summer is the earliest we'll actually see the mobo. I could be wrong though. Just a hunch I have anyway.

I d buy one just to support a company that recognizes the difference between mATX gaming enthusiasts and the HTPC crowd. I am running the EVGA nf44 board currently so this would be a good excuse to upgrade (even if I am able to max the one game I play right now @ 1680x1050 with a single card solution)...

Ugh.. I hope its soon.. There is a big market out there for those who would LOVE to have a lan box matx gaming board! Not everyone who owns a matx case has a HTPC! The ability to overclock and game on a matx are basically at a mininum, at best. Show me to the line where everyone is standing to buy a gaming matx motherboard! I'd love nothing more than to hit 4ghz on a matx board! ...ahhhhhhh, a man and his dream.

Ugh.. I hope its soon.. There is a big market out there for those who would LOVE to have a lan box matx gaming board! Not everyone who owns a matx case has a HTPC! The ability to overclock and game on a matx are basically at a mininum, at best. Show me to the line where everyone is standing to buy a gaming matx motherboard! I'd love nothing more than to hit 4ghz on a matx board! ...ahhhhhhh, a man and his dream.
Amen, Lol. :D

What I think is going to be interesting is if and when they make these SLI/CF mATX mobos is just how many are really sold. For a while now I've heard the so called experts (reviewers and manufacturers) say the market is too small and the mATX users say they'd buy them up. So who is right? Is there a big untapped market or is it truely a very small niche market? Assuming the mobos are quite good in quality I think we're going to find out just how much of a demand there really is for SLI/CF mATX mobos. :)

I hope that they do it because I am tired of mATX boards using lower end chipsets. I have real video cards and sound cards, but I still want my small case!

Oh yea, I have that evga SLI board in a 2nd PC, and that board was amazing!!! My fav in a long time.

I havent seen anything yet. When it happens it'll be mucho discussed here at HF.

miss my old evga 939 sli matx .... it was great except the fact it wasnt the best overclocker

cant wait to get a Am2+ matx with crossfire ....

i bet if this thread had 159 pages of people ranting on about matx boards sucking for not having sli, there'd probably be more interest in the companies making the boards. i count 21 people and 35 posts... in a little over a month. not too bad i guess.
i just remember seeing them sli boards all the time in monarchcomputer's hornet cases. yah... that rocked while it lasted. i really hope they come out with matx sli though, because right now i can do crossfire, yet it just doesn't feel right. i'd much rather do something along the lines of 2x 9600gt's (at 16:16 heck i'd take 8:8) rather than 2x 3870's (16:4), but if that's all anyone has to offer, it's all i can buy.

monarch hornets, lol. Everyone said the EVGA 939 µATX SLi board was terrible for overclocking (I was one of them) but in hindsight, if you look at the majority of 6100/6150, NForce4, and RS482 based µATX boards for 939, MOST couldn t break 240 FSB, not just the EVGA / Jetway. With the exception of the Biostar Tforce 6100-939, none were stellar overclockers, and the Biostar board had the low end 410 southbridge so you only got 2 SATA connections and no multi channel audio inputs. They were all a compromise in some way, none covered all the bases for the SFF gamer.

My point is this... the mobo manufacturers know that there is money to be made in the HTPC market at the moment. With the purported decline of PC gaming, a dedicated enthusiast class µATX mobo probably isn t their top priority. If a company like DFI fills this niche, its on us to prove that this was a smart business move, and effectively drive the market. Would I buy such a board if it released ? absolutely. That being said, dual GPU on a "single" card like the 3870X2 is probably the future of high end µATX gaming, so a SFF case that can accommodate such a behemoth is probably the answer rather than SLi / crossfire.

you can already buy a shuttle on newegg with a x38 chipset and crossfire but it costs a fortune,

i do hope DFi come up with the goods because im loving my full size atx board by them at the moment

I wonder what happened with EVGA and their possible SLI MATX mobo?
It was just a mod on their forums and he made no promises. I think he was just trying to draw management’s attention to see how much interest was out there.

With the current crop of cards lagging so much behind software and screen resolution getting faster quickly, there actually is a window where SLI makes sense. Too bad this has to be from DFI… They generally have great overclocking features, but their quality has always been utterly and horribly dismal. Still, I am a glutton for punishment so I would give a SLI/Crossfire board from any company a chance. ;)

I'll take one. Can I get that with an Intel chipset though?

And some waffle fries.

You could have a thousand different people posting here at HF about wanting/demanding a sli matx mobo but I dont think it would do much good. Wrong place to post IMO. If you want to get the manufacturer's attention you'd need to go to their websites and do the posting. Just my thoughts on the subject anyway. We'll have to wait and see what DFI comes up with. I'm still thinking Summer at the earliest but thats just me guessing.

You could have a thousand different people posting here at HF about wanting/demanding a sli matx mobo but I dont think it would do much good. Wrong place to post IMO. If you want to get the manufacturer's attention you'd need to go to their websites and do the posting. Just my thoughts on the subject anyway. We'll have to wait and see what DFI comes up with. I'm still thinking Summer at the earliest but thats just me guessing.

true, but i bet if there were thousands of posts here, it'd bring some sort of attention to all the companies. never did like going to individual manufacturer websites and posting there. prefer to do it at an all in one place. that'd mean petitioning at gigabyte, dfi, asus, biostar, abit, etc etc etc... so in a sense more like saying hey! whoever makes one first gets our business kind of thing. brew up some competition. sucked that the evga was the only matx sli board out there. was hoping someone would actually make something to compete with it. just goes to show how small of a niche we hardcore matx gamers really are.

are there any official reps from any of the mobo companies that come on this forum? kind of like how teamgroup, abit, gskill, and corsair reps hang out at xtremesystems?

Back