Half-life 2 video stress test out today on steam

He didnt state clearly that this would be for everyone. So I'm guessing just the beta testers.

ehh i dont think so. he said they are using the bandwidth today for the VST instead of pre-loading hl2 because a lot of people were emailing him whether their pc could run hl2. you are thinking of CS:S beta, which has nothing to do with this operation

I guess my ATi voucher will come in handy afterall, despite some users mocking people with them.

Quick update:

- ATI/CZ users will get turned on later tonight for the CS: Source test

- An update will be out today as well. This is largish (~60 MB).

- The size of the update is due to the Video Stress Test it includes. You'll be able to do some initial performance analysis using this test and report the data back to a central server. The results of the VST will be posted on Steampowered.com.

- HL/2 pre-load will begin tomorrow. It was ready yesterday, but we decided to use the bandwidth to get out the VST first since I get pelted with zillions of questions from people asking how their PC will run Half-Life 2.

Looks like ATI/CZ users only.

fallguy said:
Looks like ATI/CZ users only.

no, thats only for CS:S beta testers. trust me gabe wasn't specific, but the VST is for everyone. if im wrong ill eat my keyboard

There are two files being released. I was talking about the source test, but since this thread is about the video test, I should have been more clear. Oops. :eek:

so where on steam will this vst be released?

will be interesting to see what speed differences 65.62 makes over 61.77 on hl2 engine.

Or ATI paid Valve to release something showing a huge lead for them? :eek:

Quick update:

- ATI/CZ users will get turned on later tonight for the CS: Source test

- An update will be out today as well. This is largish (~60 MB).

- The size of the update is due to the Video Stress Test it includes. You'll be able to do some initial performance analysis using this test and report the data back to a central server. The results of the VST will be posted on Steampowered.com.

- HL/2 pre-load will begin tomorrow. It was ready yesterday, but we decided to use the bandwidth to get out the VST first since I get pelted with zillions of questions from people asking how their PC will run Half-Life 2.

Um this means that if you have a voucher or cz you can begin to beta test, and for those who have steam, they are releasing a STEAM update which includes the vst to help people determine whether or not hl2 will run ok on their pc

joecuddles said:
yeah i would agree, but also im pretty sure that the ati/hl2 bundle was met for when ati had their 9800xt card out when they were on top. now that the r420 core is far less efficent, nvidia has made things tight.

Benchmarks shown just a few days ago suggest that the 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE are neck and neck except @ 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF where the X800XT PE has 7fps over the Ultra. This was a benchmark done on CS:S. I am fairly confident that the game will perform neck and neck on the Ultra and X800XT PE. The ultra oc's and extremes will perform MUCH higher than the X800XT PE in HL2 though. When HL2 supports SM 3.0 the 6800's will stomp on the X800's.

trudude said:
Benchmarks shown just a few days ago suggest that the 6800 Ultra and X800XT PE are neck and neck except @ 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF where the X800XT PE has 7fps over the Ultra. This was a benchmark done on CS:S. I am fairly confident that the game will perform neck and neck on the Ultra and X800XT PE. The ultra oc's and extremes will perform MUCH higher than the X800XT PE in HL2 though. When HL2 supports SM 3.0 the 6800's will stomp on the X800's.

Fair statement and I agree. I really think both chips will perform great on HL2.. there won't be this huge difference like there was with Doom 3 (based on what we know about drivers and chipsets from the companies). However I do think any game that adds in SM3.0 will favor towards an Nvidia chipset later on.

But honestly.. barely much difference. Getting close to a release finally its nice.

I won't mention how much the 9800xt cost me in january too!

come on ati where R the killer drivers that will make this card I spent so much on, your flagship for HL2, outperform the rest!! even closer in fps

what's that? huh? ..........yea thought so! back 2 nvidia fer sher!

trudude said:

so when ATI has 7 fps over nvidia its no big deal but when sm 3.0 is on and nvidia gets 7 fps its a stomping? please

doh-nut said:
so when ATI has 7 fps over nvidia its no big deal but when sm 3.0 is on and nvidia gets 7 fps its a stomping? please

If HDR is activate and nV goes 7 fps faster hell thats stomping them, that won't happen though HDR will slow down nV's cards about 50% but it will still be very playable.

rancor said:
If HDR is activate and nV goes 7 fps faster hell thats stomping them, that won't happen though HDR will slow down nV's cards about 50% but it will still be very playable.

Wake up! The CS:Source does not represent HL2 gameplay. Look at the environment and maps to see they are no where close to what we will see in the actual HL2 game.

On a side note that 7 fps lead for the XT-PE will double if not triple with 1600 x 1200 @ 4X AA and 16X AF even on CS:Source

doh-nut said:
No. SM 3.0 offers more than a framerate increase. If Valve is smart they will enable some of the SM 3.0 features like Crytek is about to do. Such VDM and HDR. I think HDR is already in HL2 in SM 2.0 so who knows. As far as framerate increases with SM 3.0 goes I am willing to bet it will be much higher than 7fps.

R1ckCa1n said:
Wake up! The CS:Source does not represent HL2 gameplay. Look at the environment and maps to see they are no where close to what we will see in the actual HL2 game.

On a side note that 7 fps lead for the XT-PE will double if not triple with 1600 x 1200 @ 4X AA and 16X AF even on CS:Source

Wow, since you can predict the future so readily did you predict me rolling my eyes at you?
:rolleyes:

The Batman said:
Wow, since you can predict the future so readily did you predict me rolling my eyes at you?
:rolleyes:

I predicted more, but was partly right. Now for rancor and co. flames........

I am happy to see NVIDIA on top again. My 6800 Ultra OC is so damn sexy!

doh-nut said:
no, thats only for CS:S beta testers. trust me gabe wasn't specific, but the VST is for everyone. if im wrong ill eat my keyboard

start eating your keyboard, buddy.

Phase 2 of the Counter-Strike: Source beta begins today at 7pm PST, extending the beta to owners of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and the ATIHL2 bundle.

Also included in this portion of the beta is a Valve Source technology benchmark. The benchmark will be available to all beta participants via the main menu. Results will be displayed upon completion, and beta participants will then have the option to send the results to a Valve-hosted public web page tracking the results as done in prior Valve surveys.

For more information on the Counter-Strike: Source beta, please visit: http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=productnews_CSS.
-http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

R1ckCa1n said:
I predicted more, but was partly right. Now for rancor and co. flames........

LOL back to shader class 101, and the teacher is in......... :D

Tell me again how HDR works and why it will cause a slow down of 50% on nV cards. If ATi tries it it will cause a 75% or more slow down.

Lets see what different shaders does HL 2 use that CS doesn't?

Hmm of the bat from the screenshots I've seen. HL 2 uses more animated bump maps with Fresenal effects (similiar what ya saw in Doom 3 with thier rocket laucher and granades). Over all effect on nV cards in D3d is the same as ATi's....

More fresnel effects for HL 2's water..... Same thing as the other effect just directions animations......

Other then that all other shaders are the same. So where do you see the increase in speed for HL2? I don't see it at all, maybe you can point out some of the different shaders they are using in HL2 that they aren't using in CS.

They use the same bump mapping and normal mapping.

Xtasy0 said:

-http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news

all that says is that its included with CS:S. no keyboard munching yet.

and furthermore here is why it will be released to everyone. CS:S has been pre-loaded for the majority of the testers who wanted it. so why would gabe delay the hl2 preload to save bandwidth if minimal bandwidth was to be used today? he delayed it because of the amount of traffic the benchmark is going to take up tonight.

doh-nut said:

and furthermore here is why it will be released to everyone. CS:S has been pre-loaded for the majority of the testers who wanted it. so why would gabe delay the hl2 preload to save bandwidth if minimal bandwidth was to be used today? he delayed it because of the amount of traffic the benchmark is going to take up tonight.

Man who needs fiber! :D

doh-nut said:

well when you eat your keyboard you're going to take pictures aren't you?

R1ckCa1n said:

So enabling 16xAF will gain ATI an extra 14fps over nVidia?!

The 7fps lead was at 1600*1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF. At all other resolutions the gap was negligible.

Xtasy0 said:

The time for the eating of keyboards(and most likely flip flopping on arguments and being hypocrites) is when this test and HL2 ship and we actualy have results, anything before that is just unproved nonsense

Arguing over counter strike of all things is just pointless, why don't we start talking about regular CS benchmarks and Q3A benchmarks, where every card plays it great

rancor said:
LOL back to shader class 101, and the teacher is in......... :D

Tell me again how HDR works and why it will cause a slow down of 50% on nV cards. If ATi tries it it will cause a 75% or more slow down.

Maybe you should study a bit more if you think the ps2.0 hdr effects in hl2 will be that taxing on either card.

101998 said:
Maybe you should study a bit more if you think the ps2.0 hdr effects in hl2 will be that taxing on either card.

LOL who are you? Please continue with your analysis. And first off ps 2.0 HDR what are you talking about that would kill both cards.

Valve isn't using real HDR with ps 2.0. Come on now, at least do some research before you type crap like that.

rancor said:

Where are you getting these percentage numbers from? Can you state any of your sources? Do you even have any?

SnakEyez187 said:
Where are you getting these percentage numbers from? Can you state any of your sources? Do you even have any?

Go to MSDN developers site search for HDR, the white papers will link you to a diagram of HDR and how the graphics pipeline works with it. Now PS 3.0 it uses 2 passes. On PS 2.0 cards as much as 5 passes.

Also thats all theory, I've tested it with my engine and crytek's so thats practical, and there is a 50% drop on nV cards because of the second pass. ATi's cards not even worth mentioning....... Even though my engine is fast enough to do it on thier cards, our polygon limits drop to the 100,000's where it should be in the millions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...de/advancedtopics/HDRLighting/HDRLighting.asp

they probably wont add sm3.0 sinc ethey cut a deal with ati can tmake them look bad now can they.

well Valve already said they would, but it probably will be released as a patch in the future like when the refresh cards come out.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
they probably wont add sm3.0 sinc ethey cut a deal with ati can tmake them look bad now can they.

Nah... they will enable all new tech in time. Just when they release it will be another thing. Remember 3.0 on the NV40 didn't help the lead the R420 keeps with 2.0b in Far Cry.

I have a feeling we see 3dc and all the features of 2.0x before we see 3.0.

Back