dothan bsel0 to ground?

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought a dell inspiron 6000 with a pentium m 715 (100x15=1500mhz)

The chipset supports 533fsb (sonoma?), so I'd like to get my p-m715 up at p-m760 (133x15=2000mhz) speeds.

From what I've read, these dothans should be able to do around 2.5ghz on stock voltage, at least in desktop computers. So, 2.0 should be fine in a laptop with regards to power and heat

I've been looking at the tech spec pdf off intel's website and found that if I change the BSEL0 pin from high to low, it'll make the cpu run in 533fsb mode.

At least this has been how it was with all the older pentiums (3, 4, etc) desktop line.

But I also noticed a bclk. What is that? Do I need to do anything to that, or can I just manipulate the bsel0?

Bringing it to low, I could just yank out that pin, correct? I know that there are two Vss (ground) pins next to the bsel0 that I could ground with?

High (1) results from no connection. Low (0) results from a pin being connected to ground.

Yanking the pin results in no connection (of course). There are pull up resistors (or network) connected to the BSEL[0-1] pins. To bring a pin low, you need to connect it to ground. To bring a pin high, you have to isolate it or break it off. I generally use laquer or glue to isolate pins.

edit: your other question. BSEL is used on 915 chipsets and BCLK is used on 855 chipsets.

so you can buy an 400 mhz dothan laptop (with 855 chipset?)pull the cpu out ground out a pin, and now you have a 533 fsb cpu?

sounds like he has a dell 6000 with the 915 chipset already, just not a 533 fsb on the chip

anyone fiddle with bsel on these guys? or will i be the first to do it tomorrow?

consider it done guys!
cpuz.jpg

Most impressive! I've got a 760 that already is running @533 FSB :D
but i'm quite impressed that with that result. Congrats!

any pics of the mod?

proves the pentium m 1.5 715 to be the best to get

it's 400fsb means easy to oc to 533fsb via pinmod

just get it with the i915 chipset (for example dell i6000)

and it overclocks to pentium m 2.0 760 and performs identically

hundreds less

Great Job.

Could you point me in the direction of the correct document so I can look it over.

If you could provide a how-to guide or something, I could try this with my 9300...

LOL! That's awesome. Now I want to do this with my Laptop! 855 doesn.t support 533 though does it?

Hmm, 18x100=1.8Ghz... 133x18=2394mhz... I'd probably have to lower the multiplier somehow. =/

wow i didnt know you could do this either, that is cool. I would like to try this on my 9300 also.

edit: ah, it might not be possible with such a high multiplier as mine though... i see...

YellowPeril said:
wow i didnt know you could do this either, that is cool. I would like to try this on my 9300 also.

edit: ah, it might not be possible with such a high multiplier as mine though... i see...
it looks like youre already running on 533fsb. this trick will only work for those with a 400fsb dothan

I believe the 7x5 are 400Mhz FSB and 7x0 are 533Mhz FSB.

Easy way to find out, download CPU-Z and run it. Take a quick look and you'll know more than you ever wanted to know about your processor. :)

assuming its starting out with a 400mhz bus...looks like mr_ouija is not so sure he's on the 400mhz bus. If he's already got a 533 fsb then it won't work right?

you aren't ripping a pin out...you're adding a small wire that shorts it out...big difference since if you do it right you can remove the wire you added

Darth Bagel said:
Sounds to me like removing a pin, no?
Removing the pin would bring the BSEL/BCLK signal high. I explained it above.

TheCzar said:
lol that still doesn't do it, you have to SHORT it, you are not trying to isolate it!

sorry, didn't read the OP in it's entirety, just the effects of it for reference

Darth Bagel said:
That you did, and you also completely missed the point.
Maybe you missed the point. Doing this BSEL modification doesn't require "ripping" off any pins. It requires the opposite: shorting one pin to ground.

You wrote this, remember?
Darth Bagel said:
Wow. No way could you get me to even consider ripping a pin out of my cpu.
Unless you stopped reading at the first post, you would understand that this mod doesn't require removing any pins. In fact, removing a pin would be doing it in exactly the wrong way and it wouldn't work. :p

damn i might consider returning my i9300 just to do this :eek:

good job man!

damn i might consider returning my i9300 just to do this :eek:

good job ziddey !

hail.gif

Count me in now. :D I bought a used Pentium-M 715 CPU for $100 from a friend.

countmein.png

It took me about 20 minutes to upgrade my P-M 730 to this overclocked P-M 715 @ 2GHz. I wrapped a strand of wire around the 2 pins with a set of tweezers and a push pin. That was the easy part.

The 9300 disassembly is about 24 screws, removing 4 cables and even then it's not completely taken apart because of a very short backlight cable. But it's possible to remove the CPU even with that minor problem.

erebus720 said:
Would this work on a cl56?
Yeah if it uses the 915 chipset, maybe if it uses the 855 chipset.

-----
I was just playing with the Centrino Hardware Control from the link above and i lowered the 100% load temperature by 8C. That program rules.

Back