dothan bsel0 to ground?

erebus720 said:
855, anyone else chime in? its a 1.5, looking to bring it up some.
The Compal CL56 datasheet shows the laptop only supports 400MHz FSB: http://www.mwave.com/mwave/specB/pdf/BA20074.pdf . The clock generator on that laptop may not support 133MHz QDR FSB (533MHz). Or it might support it. You could be the hero who tests it out and lets everyone else know.

I posted above that you have to use the BCLK pins to select the FSB speed on the 855 chipset instead of the BSEL pins which are used for the 915 chipset.

IMO, it's probably not going to work due to the age of the platform. That laptop was introduced way before the 533MHz Pentium-M CPUs came out.

Has anyone done this,
AND MESSED IT UP?
lets hear it. What could happen if i screw up with the wire? Obviously, worst case scenario is a Fried CPU, but can just shorting an extra pin, or the wrong pins, cause the cpu to fry? OR will the thing just not post?

I'm contemplating buying a 1.6 and turning it 2.13 in my 9300. I wanna hear the 'worst case scenarios' because well... its $1300 on the line. Thanks

The_Engineer said:
I wanna hear the 'worst case scenarios' because well... its $1300 on the line. Thanks
These aren't implying anything directly to you...

"Shleprock" worst case scenario: even following instructions with 100% care, the computer blows itself up in a puff of smoke. Oh dear.

"careless" worst case scenario: you know how to gouge everything with a screwdriver. a screw can never be tight enough. you lose screws. don't open the laptop. it's more fragile than a desktop.

"i get things done right the 3rd time" worst case scenario: it's possible to break something, but not likely if care is used. it's your laptop. try it if you really want to as long as you don't break anything.

"i've-never-done-something-like-this-before" worse case scenario: if you can honestly read and understand the instructions, it's not a difficult task. like i said, the hardest part is disassembling the laptop. if you need help with that, check the service manual on dell's web site.

CPU mod: don't do the mod unless you know for sure that you're wiring the CPU correctly. I think the link on the first page suggests putting a wire in the socket instead of on the CPU. That's probably easier for most people. The top-side CPU diagram is easy to understand (almost fool-proof) for putting a wire in the socket. I personally wouldn't put a short piece of wire in a socket, but i've done several fine wire S370 and S478 mods before. There's really only 2 ways of shorting the "right" pins and if the wrong set is chosen (rotated 90 degrees), the CPU will probably not initialize. No harm. But a completely wrong setof pins shorted can probably damage trace(s) in the CPU package. That's why understanding exactly which pins are shorted is critical.

If you follow the instructions, there's little chance of damaging anything. Being totally careless will probably result in some disaster.

After my mod, it's not even possible to see that I opened the laptop. There's no gouges, no stripped or scraped screws, etc. When I get rid of the laptop i'll probably throw the 1.6/533 in it again with no one the wiser.

pxc said:
Count me in now. :D I bought a used Pentium-M 715 CPU for $100 from a friend.

[mg]http://www.notveryserio.us/pix/countmein.png[/img]

It took me about 20 minutes to upgrade my P-M 730 to this overclocked P-M 715 @ 2GHz. I wrapped a strand of wire around the 2 pins with a set of tweezers and a push pin. That was the easy part.

The 9300 disassembly is about 24 screws, removing 4 cables and even then it's not completely taken apart because of a very short backlight cable. But it's possible to remove the CPU even with that minor problem.

cool and all, but does speedstep still do 133x5 on it? or is lower? higher?

ScHpAnKy said:
cool and all, but does speedstep still do 133x5 on it? or is lower? higher?
It runs at 6 x 133 (800MHz, 0.700v) minimum on AC. I haven't seen how low it does on battery yet.

pxc said:
"Shleprock" worst case scenario: even following instructions with 100% care, the computer blows itself up in a puff of smoke. Oh dear. ...

After my mod, it's not even possible to see that I opened the laptop. There's no gouges, no stripped or scraped screws, etc. When I get rid of the laptop i'll probably throw the 1.6/533 in it again with no one the wiser.

Shleprock, thats me....

Anyhwho, barring natrual disasters, computer willpower, and the will of the gods (your pick), I'm pretty confident I can do this without screwing it up.

I'm sure using dell's manual i ought not to have any real problems getting the thing apart, but I would like to ask if you have any recomendations on any 'tricky' parts of the disassebly/reassebmbly of the laptop. As well as what kind of thermal solution you used when you re-mounted the processor heatsink. I'm thinking arctic silver, but wouldn't that be a bit obvious if I had to RMA it or something? Even if everything else was peachy keen? Finally, what tools did you use? Just screwdrivers, tweezers, some wire and iron will? Thanks alot for the help.

someone from another forum thought that the pinout was bottomup view and connected the wrong pins. system didn't post until he fixed it.

that was luck. you short the wrong ones, you could very well be in big trouble

so now i'm confused...is that pic of the pins as though you are looking at the pins yourself, or is it looking at the socket, so you would have to mirror it for the chip?

I believe thats looking down at the socket, since you are going to be using the socket for the wire, not the chip. would make the most sense to me.

I have an 855GME (supports 533) with Banias 1500 (100x15). Is it BCLK0 or BCLK1, which are side by side?

Also, the Intel sheet (page 48) doesn't actually use the word Ground anywhere. Before I short anything out, could someone confirm that VSS is the same thing please? Or am I wrong, in which case I'm very glad I double-checked?

mavalpha said:
I have an 855GME (supports 533) with Banias 1500 (100x15). Is it BCLK0 or BCLK1, which are side by side?

Also, the Intel sheet (page 48) doesn't actually use the word Ground anywhere. Before I short anything out, could someone confirm that VSS is the same thing please? Or am I wrong, in which case I'm very glad I double-checked?
yes vss=ground
it states it somewhere in the tech sheet

If anyone can identify what pins to try on a 855GME chipset, I'll try it on my 700m. Everything I've read so far says this chipset doesn't support 533 though.

ok, after reading a bunch I figured out that teh 915 has to be there for this to work really... i have a i855PM chipset :(

I heard someone say this might work on this chipset, depending on manf. date and such, but that the pins are different.
which pins and how is it wired, anyone know?

I just received my 6000D with Pentium M 730 processor. I was thinking about doing the dothan bsel0 to ground procedure if I get another processor. So I need a Pentium M 715 to do this. Do I need a 478 pin processor or 479 pin? Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Eric

egartin said:
I just received my 6000D with Pentium M 730 processor. I was thinking about doing the dothan bsel0 to ground procedure if I get another processor. So I need a Pentium M 715 to do this. Do I need a 478 pin processor or 479 pin? Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Eric
as long as its a pentium m and not pentium4m it doesnt matter. 478 and 479 are one and the same

is there anywhere to find the guide to doing this? i clikced the link on the first page and it doesnt work. i just got a 6000d with a 725 id like to try this on.

Back