Who is exicited about 975X

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Well if the 975X does indeed support both Crossfire and SLI, who would makes plans to get one? How do you think it will perform, and also, will it be supported with the Conroe core processors?

It's be a pretty silly chipset if it didnt support Conroe. Then again, it would be sad, since that'd mean Conroe would still have the quadpumped FSB rather than Hypertransport. Oh well. Conroe would hold its own aside from that, I'm sure.

The 975X is for the next gen EE right?

robberbaron said:
It's be a pretty silly chipset if it didnt support Conroe. Then again, it would be sad, since that'd mean Conroe would still have the quadpumped FSB rather than Hypertransport. Oh well. Conroe would hold its own aside from that, I'm sure.

The 975X is for the next gen EE right?

Its for the Pressler dual core processors. But im assuming it will be compatible with the 5xx/6xx series and the other Pentium D's that are out right now.

Lazy_Moron said:
Its for the Pressler dual core processors. But im assuming it will be compatible with the 5xx/6xx series and the other Pentium D's that are out right now.

Yeah, it will be. The Pressler extreme edition will only run on the 975X chipset. I'm guessing it's still the same old 800MHz FSB on the 965 and 800/1066 on the 975X :rolleyes:

Though, the 200MHz FSB is probably so Intel can make more variety. If we had 300MHz FSB chips, we'd have the 2.7GHz, 3GHz, 3.3GHz, 3.6GHz, 3.9GHz and that's where it's top off. 200MHz allows for... variety.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i wonder if the new EE can hold a candle to the FX

It will be a dual core. Apples and oranges, heh. The real question is, can it hold a candle to the 4800+? Doubtful, unless they ramped the speed up to 3.73GHz.

robberbaron said:
It will be a dual core. Apples and oranges, heh. The real question is, can it hold a candle to the 4800+? Doubtful, unless they ramped the speed up to 3.73GHz.

lol if thats the case no need for dual core FX

Asian Dub Foundation said:
lol if thats the case no need for dual core FX

Well a dual core 2.8GHz Athlon64 FX would be mighty fancy. That's a performance point Intel couldn't touch unless 65nm allows for 4.2GHz Presslers. It's just that, AMD would be able to ship about 5 of the 2.8ghz X2's before they'd run out of decent candidates, haha.

What is intel doing?

You cant just upgrade your Processor anymore.... you have to buy a whole new mobo for it because the chipsets are shitty. I love intel, I think they make solid products, but wtf... The 945 / 955 just came out... hell, the 925 just came out.... I think this is rediclous.

I think this is Great that the 975 can support all this cross fire and sli and what not.... but why didnt they make all that available in the 955? SLI was out before the 955.... we knew about crossfire... any reason that the 955 wont support Presler?

Bad move on intels part... all netburst mobos are obsolete the day they come out... that sucks.

^ yeah I definitely agree. At this point, I would never consider buying an intel platform, and it's all because I hate their "musical chipsets" mentality. Intel changes chipsets like they change their underwear. I find it ridiculous that every single processor update also requires a mobo update. Look at AMD...even the very first s939 boards can take an X2, and there is absolutely no forseeable upgrade limit. And to make it worse, intel's chipsets are DAMN expensive...typically the most expensive out there.

And so to answer your question, no, I'm not excited about 975x because the day it releases they'll start talking about 995x or something and how all the new technology they release will require THAT chipset instead...

It's ridiculous...think about it: During just the life of nforce 4, intel is going to go through 915/925/945/955/965/975 and probably even another chipset generation or two.

So does anyone know for sure that the 955 won't support any of the new cores? When I bought mine, I read somewhere that said it would support "next generation of intel procs". It's an expensive platform if it's just for this chip generation.

I'm excited for the i975X because that is what I will be putting in my new machine in March 06. My current machine built in 2001 has an i850 (old school 400MHz FSB & RDRAM chipset....)

I think the 945/955 could support SLI if Nvidia would allow it in the drivers. Look at how ULI hacked the Nvidia drivers to work with their chipset. I think its all about the drivers only allowing certain chipsets more than anything. PCIe is a standard there's nothing special about Nvidia's PCIe lanes on its SLI boards (well besides the one that allows 2 x 16x lanes. )

headala said:
So does anyone know for sure that the 955 won't support any of the new cores? When I bought mine, I read somewhere that said it would support "next generation of intel procs". It's an expensive platform if it's just for this chip generation.
im 90% sure they were talking about the now current pentium-d's, not the 65nm chips that are coming out.

chrisf6969 said:
I think the 945/955 could support SLI if Nvidia would allow it in the drivers. Look at how ULI hacked the Nvidia drivers to work with their chipset. I think its all about the drivers only allowing certain chipsets more than anything. PCIe is a standard there's nothing special about Nvidia's PCIe lanes on its SLI boards (well besides the one that allows 2 x 16x lanes. )

current 955X equiped with 2X PCI-Express slots are pre-configed to support CrossFire already.

intel's constant updating definitly sucks.

and i'd expect bios hacks if indeed presler/yonah dont work on 955X, because chipset wise 955X and 975X are going to be virtually identicle. Much the same how intel screwed people with the 925X and then released the 925XE with 1066FSB support, same exact chipsets minor modifications. All of the tier one motherboard manufacturers and some tier 2 released bios that allowed for support of 1066FSB. So i'd expect the same deal here.

Conroe may be slightly different since i'd expect them to increase the FSB speeds over 1066, and they're also going to officially support DDR2-800 (again, means they better mess with the FSB to get improvment since DDR2 667 is a joke on the current FSB). So forget it with this one too.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
^ yeah I definitely agree. At this point, I would never consider buying an intel platform, and it's all because I hate their "musical chipsets" mentality. Intel changes chipsets like they change their underwear. I find it ridiculous that every single processor update also requires a mobo update.

Intel is trying to sell platforms, not chips anymore. They want to sell you CPU + chipset everytime you buy.
What i dislike about this "musical chipsets" is that it really doesn't leave any upgrade path. I have this SC420 with a crappy celeron and would love to put a DC chip in there, but it won't run.

I have heard AMD being critizied for the on-die Memory controller and 'upgrading memory technologies requiring a new CPU', but I really think that Intel's way of doing things is a PITA.

Look at AMD...even the very first s939 boards can take an X2, and there is absolutely no forseeable upgrade limit. And to make it worse, intel's chipsets are DAMN expensive...typically the most expensive out there.

Your argument isn't really true. X2's would require BIOS updates and I am sure that I can dig up 1 or more s939 board that won't support it. But we can safely assume that if you bought a Mobo with a 'current' chipset during the past 12 months, it will support and X2.

drizzt81 said:
Your argument isn't really true. X2's would require BIOS updates and I am sure that I can dig up 1 or more s939 board that won't support it. But we can safely assume that if you bought a Mobo with a 'current' chipset during the past 12 months, it will support and X2.

Given the choice of "BIOS update" or "Buy a new fucking board," I think AMD's "BIOS update" wins.

i was thinking about upgrading my motherboard, is this new mobo compatible to my p4 550 socket 775 cpu?

Shifra said:
current 955X equiped with 2X PCI-Express slots are pre-configed to support CrossFire already.

intel's constant updating definitly sucks.

and i'd expect bios hacks if indeed presler/yonah dont work on 955X, because chipset wise 955X and 975X are going to be virtually identicle. Much the same how intel screwed people with the 925X and then released the 925XE with 1066FSB support, same exact chipsets minor modifications. All of the tier one motherboard manufacturers and some tier 2 released bios that allowed for support of 1066FSB. So i'd expect the same deal here.

Conroe may be slightly different since i'd expect them to increase the FSB speeds over 1066, and they're also going to officially support DDR2-800 (again, means they better mess with the FSB to get improvment since DDR2 667 is a joke on the current FSB). So forget it with this one too.

Well, I've been running at 1200Mhz FSB since I got my Abit IC-7 years ago. Now if I could just fit a 775LGA chip in to the 478 pin socket! (going get my hammer, BRB!)

Anyway, if the boards are spec'd to 1066, they will probably run at the next speed bump up. LIke my old 875 mobo can run 1066 NO PROBLEM. And like Abit took the BE7 (845 chipset mobo) and got it to run at 800FSB, when it was only spec'd for 533, and that was a much bigger difference.

chrisf6969 said:
Well, I've been running at 1200Mhz FSB since I got my Abit IC-7 years ago. Now if I could just fit a 775LGA chip in to the 478 pin socket! (going get my hammer, BRB!)

Anyway, if the boards are spec'd to 1066, they will probably run at the next speed bump up. LIke my old 875 mobo can run 1066 NO PROBLEM. And like Abit took the BE7 (845 chipset mobo) and got it to run at 800FSB, when it was only spec'd for 533, and that was a much bigger difference.
While it is quite impressive that the intel chipsets are that fexible in terms of FSB, it is sad that intel is literally forcing you to buy a new mobo each time around, by 'artificially' making the CPUs incomptible. Please note that the quotes: I am not expert, but it seems quite awkward to me that every CPU refresh/ new CPU needs a new mobo.

USMC2Hard4U said:
The 955x Will not support the New 65nm Pentium D "Preslers"

from what i have read the 945, 955, and 975 will support the new pressler processors (9XX series).

the 975 is needed to support the extreme edition pressler...

I think a lot of people are wondering whether 975 is going to support Conroe. I'm set to upgrade in January when 975 is out, but I'm nervous about doing so since I want the thing to last more than 6 months!

USMC2Hard4U said:
What is intel doing?

You cant just upgrade your Processor anymore.... you have to buy a whole new mobo for it because the chipsets are shitty. I love intel, I think they make solid products, but wtf... The 945 / 955 just came out... hell, the 925 just came out.... I think this is rediclous.

I think this is Great that the 975 can support all this cross fire and sli and what not.... but why didnt they make all that available in the 955? SLI was out before the 955.... we knew about crossfire... any reason that the 955 wont support Presler?

Bad move on intels part... all netburst mobos are obsolete the day they come out... that sucks.

Not quite true. Presler will work on more Chipsets than the first Pentium D because it doesn't need the Arbitration Logic. The only folks who'll need i975 are those buying the Expensive Edition.

http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=2946

They even have one running on a i865 LOL! Don't believe some of the AMD Fan Fud being thrown out there. All the different Intel chipsets does suck though.

Donnie27

Ummm... Presler EE will work on 955, it's conroe that will be limited to 975.... maybe. There might be a bios fix to get it to work with 945/955, but for certain it'll work on 975. That's really the only difference between 955 and 975, well, the big one at least.

The launch date for the 975X motherboards is now January 16th! I don't want to wait that long, but it looks like I'll have to.

I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, as it's more reminiscing and an observation. Does anyone remember the 440BX? How long did that chipset stick around and how many processors did it run? It was never meant to run the PIII processors but it did it just fine. I don't see any reason why Intel couldn't do this with one of the multitude of current chipsets for the most part. I'm sure there are some differences that might require a new chipset, but nothing like what we've seen.

atacom.com has the Intel brand version of the 975 mobo for $300 for sale right now!

What sucks is that the 2nd core is still largely unused in so many applications. And the stock performance of the 3.46 is about the same as the super OLD Gallatin core 3.46 thats .130nm (a process thats "2 generations" old and twice as big.) vs. the new .065nm.

Thats kinda shitty.

They should have released the 955 as a 3.73Ghz part at the very least. (it seems VERY capable of that) So its single core performance would at least be top notch comparatively to older cores.

SmokeRngs said:
I don't mean this to be a threadcrap, as it's more reminiscing and an observation. Does anyone remember the 440BX? How long did that chipset stick around and how many processors did it run? It was never meant to run the PIII processors but it did it just fine. I don't see any reason why Intel couldn't do this with one of the multitude of current chipsets for the most part. I'm sure there are some differences that might require a new chipset, but nothing like what we've seen.

But it too had limits on what it supported. BX couldn't scale with DDR or AGP more than 2X. Mine was easily crushed by the i815 that was crushed by the Tualatin Version. Progress marches on.

Yes, Intel had way too many "Tweeners". But it sucks when folks have to hang onto older board from any company too long. nForce 3 150, 250, 250GB, nF 4, 4 cut -rate, ultra, SLI-cut rate, SLI standard, SLI-32 sucks as well. I'd not want to hold on to a nF3 of any kind and would buy another board anyway. In fact, i875 and i865 lived longer useful lives than BX.

Ummm... Presler EE will work on 955, it's conroe that will be limited to 975.... maybe. There might be a bios fix to get it to work with 945/955, but for certain it'll work on 975. That's really the only difference between 955 and 975, well, the big one at least.

Presler EE should work on all of them, some folks didn't get it to work. Maybe just a BIOS fix is needed. There's NO real reason for Conroe or its Single Core version to NOT work on i955, i945 or hell even the i925s. No matter what some Anti-Intel sights say, there are improvements. Be it real 8GB of RAM support, real Dual PCI-Express, PAT-2 and it supports every Socket 775 Intel Processor made. Last but not least, it is an INTEL branded board that supports overclocking complete with voltage adjustments.

Donnie27

I am...

For some reason I imagine it being as big of a release as the i865 or i875.

So in all the bickering did anyone determine for sure if the 955xe will work in a say 955 chipset?

Any release date on the 975-ws from asus?

From what I have read the 955xe will not run on the 955 chipset because of power requirements, but the rest of the Presler family will. So Intel says........

Quoted from firingsquad.com

"It almost wouldn’t be a real technology launch without some sort of new platform from Intel. The 975X succeeds the enthusiast-oriented 955X, which was the first Intel chipset with dual-core processor support. Unfortunately, motherboards based on 955X aren’t able to deliver enough juice to the Extreme Edition 955 according to company representatives, so if you’re looking at the high-end chip, you’ll actually be required to buy a new motherboard. The margin must be close though, because 65nm Pentium Ds are said to work just fine in 955X and 945-based boards.

Other than the augmented power circuitry, there’s not much to differentiate 975X from the 955X chipset other than a more flexible PCI Express lane configuration. The 955X divided connectivity into one x16 slot and another x4. Intel’s 975X is able to split the lanes evenly into two x8s, ideal for running multiple graphics cards or supporting other high-speed peripherals in a workstation environment"

Link to the article.

And here is an article about the first Asus 975x board. My bad if its old news.

Asus P5WDG2-WS

From what I understand they WILL work with 955, I'll try it out tomorrow and see. Granted I can only do it on Intels 955 board, so keep that in mind.

robberbaron said:

It can hold a candle easily. Check the previews out there, they show the Presler kicking the ass or at least tieing the high end Opterons in every benchmark.

It's almost a certainty the i965 chipset series will support Conroe, however it is unkown if the 975 series will, maybe a second revision of the same chipset.

coldpower27 said:
It's almost a certainty the i965 chipset series will support Conroe, however it is unkown if the 975 series will, maybe a second revision of the same chipset.
o_O

wait, youre claiming that the BUDGET chipset (i965) will support conroe yet the HIGH END chipset (i975) wont?

sorry, but that makes no sense.

lithium726 said:
o_O

wait, youre claiming that the BUDGET chipset (i965) will support conroe yet the HIGH END chipset (i975) wont?

sorry, but that makes no sense.

Actually it does. 965 is the next generation of chipsets, named Broadwater, while 975 is the "performance" version on the current generation chipset, named Glenwood. Don't ask me why, hell.... I don't get it either, but that's what it is.

Oh.... and 975 WILL support conroe. I know.... I've seen it.

Back