getting rid of my dell 2405, any good 20" LCD suggestions?

TZ1

n00b
I love the dell, but the high pitched whining sound is really annoying, and apparrently its something that almost (if not) all 2405 monitors have. so I've decided to convert it to an LCD tv for use with Win MCE 2k5 and xobx360 when it comes out.

so now I need a new LCD. the only requirements I am looking for is that it it is 16x12 res, and blurring in fast paced 3d games is equal or better than the 2405. so far I'm considering the samsung 204t and viewsonic vp201b. any thoughts on this? I will be doing mostly 3D modeling and some gaming.

Read up on the Samsung 214T. It's a 21.3, 4:3, 8ms, 900:1 contrast, 300brightness LCD. It has the same design as the 204T and the 213T. I just made a post today if anyone here on the forums has the LCD to tell how it works, but nothing yet. As you can see though, the specs are a lot better than the 204T, and it's only around $200 more. I'll most likely be ordering mine next week.

I can hear a TV a block away, and i hear nothing from my 2405fpw. Call dell, get replacement.

I dont think a replacement will solve this problem since I feel that *all* 2405 monitors have this high pitched sound. maybe the ambient noise in your room drowns it out or maybe you arent sensitive to it, but it is there. just look at all the posts in the dell forums about people complaining about it. its sort of like the people who claim there is no blurring/smearing when playing fps games. all LCDs display some smearing/blurring, its just that some people are not sensitive to it at all.

so does anyone now if the viewsonic blurs/smears about the same level as the dell, or worse?

the 2005fpw is actually a downgrade from a 16x12 panel IMO because:

1) less pixel space

2) odd resolution for games.

TZ1 said:
I dont think a replacement will solve this problem since I feel that *all* 2405 monitors have this high pitched sound.

keep it or dont but pls dont make too many more posts like this, makes you sound stupid. Would be like me saying I feel *all* 2405 monitors are perfect and free of defects....just doesnt make much sense.

no noise here and its dead quit in my room, my biz parnter has one to and no noise from his either...so not "all" of them have that noise...get a replacement

Some people can be more sensitive to noise than others. Most electronics do give off noise even if though it is generally extremely quiet. Personally however, I would try to get an RMA first.

I dont hear anything from my 2405 either, now my 36gig raptors on the other hand used to cause migranes...

If your happy with the 2405 except for the noise, rma it and get a new one, chances are that will fix the probem. I do not hear a thing from my 2405 either.

TZ1 said:
the 2005fpw is actually a downgrade from a 16x12 panel IMO because:

1) less pixel space

2) odd resolution for games.
1600x1200 = 1920000
1680x1050 = 1764000

Is ~9% less pixel going to make or break the monitor? A wider FOV in games more than makes up for that measly ~9%.

Modern games support it anyway and if they don't do as such even with some config file editing, black bars aren't that big of a deal.

I have the dell 2405fpw also, No Problems Here!!
This is the best monitor i've ever seen!! :eek:
No problem playing games at all.

I'd definately give Dell a call :)

8steve8 said:
why are people here so into dell lcds.. they look so... blah... cheap .
theyre cheap to buy too.

all LCDs display some smearing/blurring, its just that some people are not sensitive to it at all
haha. i laugh every time i see this.

its true of larger panels, but neither of my 17" panels do it at all. and yes, i have played on a vp201b, and yes, i noticed blurring, and yes, it annoyed the hell out of me.

Some people aren't sensitive to the frequency of noise that the 2405 FPW gives off - but I do agree that all of them give off a high pitched noise. My friend was absolutely sure that his did not. I came over to his house and I could hear a barely audible but very annoying and penatrating whining.

When traveling in Germany on their High-Speed train system last summer I also noticed that all of the overhead reading lights in the first class compartment made a high pitched whining sound. It was so terrible that my brother and I really couldn't stand sitting next to someone who turned it on. My mom on the other hand heard absolutely nothing - I think her hearing has probably been dulled by age.

I personally believe only a very small percentage of the population cursed with very acute hearing can even notice the sound the 2405 FPW gives off. But all of them do give it off - you just can't hear it because very few people can hear that upper frequency range. The ability to hear high frequency noise is also the first to be damaged by loud music and gun fire so most of those who could hear it at birth probably damaged their cilia enough that they can no longer hear it. Notice also that most dogs are loathe to stay around your computer setups for a long time - that's because they don't particularly like all of that high pitched noise either and they can hear it very well.

I agree, I am very sensitive to the old fluorescent lights in my apartment kitchen. I can see them pulsing very rapidly, exactly like when I use a co-worker's workstation and the monitor is set at 60Hz refresh rate.

I can hear the high-pitched whine coming from my 2405FPW, but only if I put my ear up against the casing and all other devices in my room are off. In normal computer usage, it's not noticable at all. And yes, I do shoot guns a lot, but I always wear adequate hearing protection (plugs + muffs).

Funnily enough, my dog loves to sit under my desk, diretly below the 2405 and right next to my computer. Doesn't seem to bother him one bit, and he has excellent hearing!

TZ1 said:
so now I need a new LCD. the only requirements I am looking for is that it it is 16x12 res, and blurring in fast paced 3d games is equal or better than the 2405. so far I'm considering the samsung 204t and viewsonic vp201b. any thoughts on this? I will be doing mostly 3D modeling and some gaming.

I have the same question so could we stop debating about the noise and answer his question?

ok so since many have suggested the 2005fpw, I'll consider it. how does it compare to the 2045 in terms of smearing/blurring? does it also emit the high pitched whining the 2045 does?

and for those of you who dont think the 2045 makes a high pitched sound, why dont you put your ear up to the top right corner by the cooling vents after its been on for 4-5 hours. you will hear a very faint high pitched sound. now some of us work in dead silent conditions and are very sensitive to this sort of thing. many of you arent, consider yourself lucky.

TZ1 said:
ok so since many have suggested the 2005fpw, I'll consider it. how does it compare to the 2045 in terms of smearing/blurring? does it also emit the high pitched whining the 2045 does?

and for those of you who dont think the 2045 makes a high pitched sound, why dont you put your ear up to the top right corner by the cooling vents after its been on for 4-5 hours. you will hear a very faint high pitched sound. now some of us work in dead silent conditions and are very sensitive to this sort of thing. many of you arent, consider yourself lucky.

or many of us have 2405's that arent defective and thus dont make the sound. Actually I feel that *all* of you that hear a noise are just imagining it anyways.

Deadsexy said:
or many of us have 2405's that arent defective and thus dont make the sound. Actually I feel that *all* of you that hear a noise are just imagining it anyways.
we've already discussed this. you just cant hear it.

From comments on this and other forums the HP 23" widescreen seem like a good alternative, not cheap though...

lithium726 said:
theyre cheap to buy too.

haha. i laugh every time i see this.

its true of larger panels, but neither of my 17" panels do it at all. and yes, i have played on a vp201b, and yes, i noticed blurring, and yes, it annoyed the hell out of me.

You can laugh all you like, its very true of any lcd. As he said, some people simply cant see it, others can. I can on ANY lcd.

hxw5223 said:
From comments on this and other forums the HP 23" widescreen seem like a good alternative, not cheap though...

I personally havent seen enough on the L2335 to give me much confidence about it but it sounds interesting. If after a few RMA's dell cant get me a 2405 without backlight bleeding(about to start on my first) I may try out the HP. I've "heard" the response time is slightly better at the expense of color/image quality but since I havent seen one in person I couldnt say for sure and most of the people that have either will swear up and down that its the best lol.

let me know how the L2335 compares if you do get one.

deadsexy, you have already demonstrated that you are not sensitive to high pitched sounds by virtue of having raptor hard drives in your system. once again, some of us are very sensitive, most people are not. it is a well known fact that many electronic devices make a high pitched sound. just because you cannot hear it, does not mean it does not exist.

TZ1 said:
deadsexy, you have already demonstrated that you are not sensitive to high pitched sounds by virtue of having raptor hard drives in your system. once again, some of us are very sensitive, most people are not. it is a well known fact that many electronic devices make a high pitched sound. just because you cannot hear it, does not mean it does not exist.

well if the electronics present in lcd's bothers your ears I wouldnt suggest getting one at all.

hxw5223 said:
I seen this monitor at Sam's Club, hooked to a high end HP, it didn't look near as good as the Dell, the 2405 looks alot better!! :D

I have to second the vote, that if the hum of electronics bothers you, don't get an LCD monitor.

I can hear the hum of televisions and flourescent lights easily, but it doesn't make me go apeshit and destroy Tokyo.

Oh, and my two dogs, lab and australian shepherd, both sit beside and in front of my computers, even when I'm gaming. So I have to disagree with that lil theory.

For the OP, if you REALLY MUST have an LCD, why not go to stores to see models there and decide for yourself if you can live with the noise they make?

mathesar said:

my only issues with that review are that its old, came out some time before the 2405 did so there isnt any comparison. When looking to buy the L2335 I also noticed several different mfg#'s for it(3-4) all with VERY different prices and when I asked HP about it I got a half assed response stating they are all the same, but yet the same exact site will sell one # for one price and another for $500 more. I suspect refurbs but never found out for sure.

you people really go apeshit when someone says anything bad about the 2405 dont you? obviously, NOT all LCD monitors make this sound. I never said ALL LCD monitors make this sound. the 2405 does because it is built cheaply and uses lower quality components. how else can the price be so low? I'm not saying its a bad monitor, but more than likely lower quality components cause a high pitched whining sound. if you dig around this forum, there is a post where someone actually captured the sound and analyzed the frequency and came to the same conclusion.

can we just agreee to disagree on the whole monitor sound issue?

I'm asking about alternatives here because I work in a dead silent environment. going to a store is not feasible because of all the ambient noise.

TZ1 said:
you people really go apeshit when someone says anything bad about the 2405 dont you? obviously, NOT all LCD monitors make this sound. I never said ALL LCD monitors make this sound. the 2405 does because it is built cheaply and uses lower quality components. how else can the price be so low? I'm not saying its a bad monitor, but more than likely lower quality components cause a high pitched whining sound. if you dig around this forum, there is a post where someone actually captured the sound and analyzed the frequency and came to the same conclusion.

can we just agreee to disagree on the whole monitor sound issue?

I'm asking about alternatives here because I work in a dead silent environment. going to a store is not feasible because of all the ambient noise.

Its not that your saying bad things about the 2405, hell mine has hella backlight bleeding so obviously they can do some wrong. Its that you say incredibly stupid things.

That thing about "feeling" that all of them make the sound? I hope you see how stupid that is. Then again just now you said "more then likely" without any facts to back anything up. lets see....you've owned ONE, this forum's 2405 owners make up what like 1% of the total 2405 out there....maybe, so how can you make stupid generalizations like the ones you do?

lol, if you didnt say such stupid things maybe people wouldnt post in your thread....

TZ1 said:

I'll have to remember not to blow my dog whistle around you. ;)

CCFL inverters can have a high pitched hum. Unfortunately basically all LCD monitors have CCFLs in them, and thereby have a CCFL inverter that can hum. So, any LCD is just as likely to have a high pitch whine as another.

I dont think a replacement will solve this problem since I feel that *all* 2405 monitors have this high pitched sound. maybe the ambient noise in your room drowns it out or maybe you arent sensitive to it, but it is there

False. I immediately RMA'd my first 2405 due to high-pitched whining, and the replacement doesn't have the problem.

If someone has managed to record sound on every single LCD monitor out there, I'd be very impressed.

And wonder why my dogs didn't tear him to shreds when he broke into my house!

Back