1080p HTPC - gfx/proc recommendations?

elguapo

Limp Gawd
I have few requirements for my planned HTPC, In order of importance.
1. Ability to play h.264/1080p encoded files
1. HDMI out (1.3 audio support)
2. Internal space for at least 2 3.5" HDDs
2. Small/slim form factor
3. Sub 225w PSU

I would like to base the system off of something like this (Intel Based) or this (AMD Based)

If I go the AMD route, the integrated graphics, plus a cheap 4GB of ram and a Athlon X2 5050e would do me fine for my 1080p playback. Unfortunately there's only space for 1 HDD.

If I go to the Intel side, I would still grab 4GB of ram, but need a recommendation for the video card and proc. I know the mobo supports QC, but I'm not looking to spend more than $75-100 on the proc and maybe $50 on the video card. Initial thoughts are an E5200 Wolfdale and a Radeon HD4550 based video card - for this setup it does need to be LP.

I've had a history of over-doing things, so criticism would be welcome - I'm hoping to do this as inexpensively as possible - Of course, if I'm waaay off, I'm open to other suggestions...

I know I've been drooling over one of the new AMD chipsets like the 780G (for my own HTPC comp) that does H.264 1080p decoding on the chipset (so you can stick in a lower power CPU and still play BluRay). The AMD reference system you posted only has a 690G chipset which does not do H.264 decoding on the chipset. I'd go with one of the "low-voltage high-efficiency" versions of whatever CPU you get.

You wanna keep it quiet. Consider one of the new lower power HDD's from Western Digital or Samsung. The new 2nd version of the WD Green is both faster and uses less power than the original version. And one of those new "high efficiency" power supplies would help too, something like the Antec Earthwatts. Lower power, in general, means quiet.

With the 780G or better chipset, you shouldn't need a discrete video card for HTPC usage.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2946

using one right now with a wolfdale e5200. works great.

the mobo has my processor o/ced to 3.43ghz right now. thats only on the stock air cooler which SUCKS. i get my 775 bracket tomorrow, then im gonna see what it can do under water.

i was able to fit an 8800gtx on the board but not with modification to the shroud on the air cooler. the sata ports are in the way. the right angle sata cable they included with the package is a joke...if you use it it blocks an extra port making only 4 of them usable out of 5.

running vista 32 bit

i have it hooked up via hdmi to an onkyo tx-sr605 going to a philips 42" lcd and the sound and video quality are great. cyberlink powerdvd seems to be more compatible with hdmi than arcsoft totalmedia theatre.

Back