125w Phenom 9950 @ ZZF.

125W??? Everything I've read says 9950 Phenom is 140W.

Is that a misprint at ZZF or there really are two versions of 9950 BE Phenom? :confused:

Yes their two versions of the 9950, one with 140w and other is 125w revision.

The newer 9950 125w is sorta tempting. I initially wanted to go with the 9850, but I'll setting for the 9950 now that the price is similar and lower wattage.

Now, I'm waiting for newegg for some hawtt deals.

Wow, no kidding. Been thinking 9950 since the price cut, but 140w is a bit of a deal breaker for me. 125w sounds a lot better, but then still a lot compared to my 65w 5000BE. But then the way I've got it OC'ed, it's probably sucking a lot more than 65w.

Wow, no kidding. Been thinking 9950 since the price cut, but 140w is a bit of a deal breaker for me. 125w sounds a lot better, but then still a lot compared to my 65w 5000BE. But then the way I've got it OC'ed, it's probably sucking a lot more than 65w.

From what I've read on tests and what not the 140w is an overestimate on AMD's part. The 9950 actually uses less power than the 9850 @ 125w according to some reviews. I'm ordering an Asus M3A79-T and 4gb of Corsair ddr2-1066 tonight. I'm waiting to see how these 125w 9950's overclock compared to their 140w counterparts. I have a feeling we're going to see lots of overclocks in the 3.6-3.8ghz range. Alot of people have been hitting 3.4ghz+ on SB600 boards with their 9950's so I'm sure ACC and SB750 could push it farther. :D

Is it just me or do I see a mention of more cache on the 125W 9950 box on newegg? Anyone know if these are the phenoms which were supposed to get a 6mbs of l3 cache?

125w revision:
http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=3827&page=2

3.36ghz on "crappy air". I wish his posts weren't so focused on going for LN2 records and mentioned what cooler he used for the initial part.
woo hoo. so you overclock it to 3.3 and its still slower than a Core 2 Quad at 3.0 and probably uses at least 50-75 more watts too. IMO this things just arent worth it and all we can do is hope that AMD redeems themselves with the new 45mn cpus. :(

all we can do is hope that AMD redeems themselves with the new 45mn cpus. :(

Not going to happen. Nothing short of a brand new AMD architecture is going to be able to compete with Nehalem. Deneb will be slightly better than Agena, but it's still the same architecture and it's still inferior to Intel's offerings. The best AMD can hope for with Deneb is to be able to compete with the 45nm Core 2s, but it might not even be able to do that effectively.

Not going to happen. Nothing short of a brand new AMD architecture is going to be able to compete with Nehalem. Deneb will be slightly better than Agena, but it's still the same architecture and it's still inferior to Intel's offerings. The best AMD can hope for with Deneb is to be able to compete with the 45nm Core 2s, but it might not even be able to do that effectively.

The dreamer in me that wants to see AMD come back really strong would have AMD's Deneb come out and knock Intel's socks off, in the same way the HD47x0 GPUs surprised the heck out of nVidia. Unlikely, I know, but we can hope that the tweaks AMD has put on 45nm Phenom will really even things out. We haven't seen benchmarks of 45nm parts, but maybe something absolutely magical happens when you go from 2mb to 6mb L3 cache :D It can only benefit us all. ;)

Brace yourself for the fanbois.

The dreamer in me that wants to see AMD come back really strong would have AMD's Deneb come out and knock Intel's socks off, in the same way the HD47x0 GPUs surprised the heck out of nVidia. Unlikely, I know, but we can hope that the tweaks AMD has put on 45nm Phenom will really even things out. We haven't seen benchmarks of 45nm parts, but maybe something absolutely magical happens when you go from 2mb to 6mb L3 cache :D It can only benefit us all. ;)

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=3858

Its actually pretty decent for a die shrink, about a 7% improvement per clock on average, but knocking off Nehalem? Highly unlikely... at least not in multi-threaded performance. It should be more competitive in single-threaded performance though.

The best AMD can hope for is to compete with Core 2. The fact is, Nehalem completely blows the doors off of every single existing architecture and AMD still hasn't caught up to Intel's current quads with Phenom. Deneb won't even come close to Nehalem in terms of power, and that's what AMD really needs to focus on instead of wasting time tweaking an architecture that was already behind the curve before it was even released.
Brace yourself for the fanbois.
Been there, done that. No amount of fanboyism can contradict facts.

Nehalem will perform well, but will be priced out of the enthusiast class. It will be nice to look at the benchmarks though....like thumbing through a copy of 'Architectural Digest'.

Since nearly all games now are effectively console ports, the impetus to upgrade is almost gone.

Nehalem will perform well, but will be priced out of the enthusiast class. It will be nice to look at the benchmarks though....like thumbing through a copy of 'Architectural Digest'.

Since nearly all games now are effectively console ports, the impetus to upgrade is almost gone.
I dont understand what people mean by that. some of the console ports are pretty demanding. heck Lost Planet on max settings is still one of the most demanding games out there.

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=3858

Its actually pretty decent for a die shrink, about a 7% improvement per clock on average, but knocking off Nehalem? Highly unlikely... at least not in multi-threaded performance. It should be more competitive in single-threaded performance though.

Hey, a benchmark! Power consumption seems to have gotten much better (unless those chinese labels on the chart mean something different!) Yes, unlikely to knock off Nehalem but ATI didn't really knock off nVidia for the performance crown, either - they just got really close and they priced it right. I said I was dreaming! :p Unfortunately for AMD, Intel has such a manufacturing advantage that they can probably price their chips however they want, so even getting close in performance won't help ASPs.:(

I dont understand what people mean by that. some of the console ports are pretty demanding. heck Lost Planet on max settings is still one of the most demanding games out there.

More GPU than CPU at real resolutions.

Most people use their computers for other things than just gaming.

True, but it's the most common hardware intensive use. If it weren't for gaming, my ideal system would be a 330 Atom, although the chipset isn't quite suited for low power use.
Exceptions might be encoding all those Netflix DVDs or folding.

Back