12TB+ FreeNAS box build options

Silent.Sin

Gawd
Preface: One of our potential clients is looking to do a data migration from their in house servers to something a little more cloudy (god I hate hearing suits talk about "the cloud"). It will involve us being on-site to extract the data, then we can physically take the data and migrate it from our own office to their new system as we see fit.

We need to at least get some sort of HW in the initial proposal for this so I wanted to spec out a NAS box as the primary means of data storage. I did look at pre-built solutions that provided 12TB or more but for the "professional" ones the price seems sort of ridiculous.

I've been wanting to get my feet wet with a FreeNAS install for awhile so this seems like a good opportunity. I've been out of the loop with FreeNAS since I evaluated it last year sometime. It seems like a *lot* must have changed from version 7 to 8 just judging by the HW requirements. For anyone that has experience with both, why the drastic increase in specs? It seems like there was a pretty substantial trimming of features if anything so I'm not clear on what's the big deal.

Another question: is this still something that can be booted from a USB key provided it has sufficient bandwidth and storage? I was looking to leave a USB header dangling inside of the case with FreeNAS on there so I can use all of the spindles for their intended purpose instead of needing a stand alone drive for FreeNAS.

Here's the hardware I was looking at:
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 2 + 6 SATA - $110
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) - $90
AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz - $50
5 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" = 15TB - $750

Total: $1000

The case and other misc stuff I can look at later but it should be easy to get this in under $1200. Does that build look alright? The FreeBSD HCL is a lot more confusing to me than the ESXi one so I'm not exactly sure all if this is covered. Any other suggestions as far as CPU power or drive models go?

FreeNAS is in a bit of flux now - 7 and 8 are (as I understand it) forks. I would give serious thought to going with OI for ZFS - I know you can do ZFS with FreeNAS, but an older code base...)

I would get a Q-chipset based motherboard (Intel platform) since it gives you Intel LAN (highly recommended), remote management and a faster AHCI controller.
//Danne

FreeNAS is in a bit of flux now - 7 and 8 are (as I understand it) forks. I would give serious thought to going with OI for ZFS - I know you can do ZFS with FreeNAS, but an older code base...)

Hmm interesting. OI does look like a nice alternative but I've never done a Solaris install. Is compatibility a major concern? I did not see much listed in OI's wiki on the HCL there. Have you ever made an OI box? This forum post speaks a lot about buying server class hardware. This isn't going in a rack and the client would like to keep the HW budget under $2000. The nice thing about FreeNAS is that FreeBSD seems to run on just about anything. What about OpenFiler? There doesn't seem to be a LiveBoot version of that but I would consider it if there are any major benefits.

I would get a Q-chipset based motherboard (Intel platform) since it gives you Intel LAN (highly recommended), remote management and a faster AHCI controller.
//Danne

Was gonna be installing an Intel GbE NIC aside from the built in. Speed isn't a real major concern, it'll be unattended and can take days if it needs to. Intel hardware does seem to be more widely supported with the OpenSolaris based solutions so if we go that route I might be forced to re-evaluate the cheaper options there, thanks for the input.

Openfiler doesn't support ZFS. Maybe not be a showstopper for you, but was for me. Compatibility is not that big of a deal for OI. Install napp-it for a management GUI. Doesn't need to be server-class HW really, if you're not loading it down a ton.

OpenIndiana is running on my server with very similar specs (see sig for details) without any issues whatsoever. Very easy to install, quite easy to use as well.

Open filer supports ext3 which is mighty nice. If you are looking to transfer 12 tb of data then.ext3 will be fine.

Openfiler doesn't support ZFS. Maybe not be a showstopper for you, but was for me. Compatibility is not that big of a deal for OI. Install napp-it for a management GUI. Doesn't need to be server-class HW really, if you're not loading it down a ton.

There's not a single NAS on earth that honestly requires server grade hardware with high processing power. Now if you are talking san then that is different.

There's not a single NAS on earth that honestly requires server grade hardware with high processing power. Now if you are talking san then that is different.

it depends on your needs and you have the problem that Intel often includes a lot of features only
in their server-chipsets - even if they are same priced than some desktop chipsets like:

more than 16 GB RAM
ECC Ram
some fast pci-8 slots
IPMI remote management
Intel Nics (often two of them)
Virtualisation support (vt-d)

of course a Mainboard with a Intel server-chipset is about 50,-- more expensive but its worth.
The same with CPU's. You may use a cheap i3 CPU but if you decide some day that you want
to virtualize something, you are glad if you have a Xeon, even if its a cheap dual-core, sufficent for a NAS.

Gea

Back