1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

well highest i ever seen mine draw was under 700watts....and was running both gpu and cpu at 100%. think you be ok with a 970 but i would not go with anything more power hungry. keep in mind if you saw power consumption of 700watts form the wall then the guys pc was actually only using around 630watts internally. People give bad advice all the time......IF you have plans to overclock then getting a min size power supply was not a good idea anyway (it pulls substantially more power overclocked..if i had to guess around 50% more power - just the way it is. If you run it at default vcore it think it be fine even with a 980ti.

Most importantly is what make and model supply do you have? High rated models could be ok. --cheap generic forget it

well highest i ever seen mine draw was under 700watts....and was running both gpu and cpu at 100%. think you be ok with a 970 but i would not go with anything more power hungry. keep in mind if you saw power consumption of 700watts form the wall then the guys pc was actually only using around 630watts internally. People give bad advice all the time......IF you have plans to overclock then getting a min size power supply was not a good idea anyway (it pulls substantially more power overclocked..if i had to guess around 50% more power - just the way it is. If you run it at default vcore it think it be fine even with a 980ti.

Most importantly is what make and model supply do you have? High rated models could be ok. --cheap generic forget it
My power supply is a Antec True Power Trio 650W, which is around 10 years old. I was planning to pick up a new power supply soon. Was checking out the EVGA Supernova 650W P2 since it is on sale, but I think I might need to pick one with more watts. I do plan to overclock the cpu and gpu and plan to pick up a high end pascal or polaris card down the road. What watts do you recommend 750-850?

yea..750-850 gets my vote for over clockers...and yea get a new one...those older power supplys were bad for using cheap Chinese caps...and i bet your efficiency is below 70% by now..now would one of those new evga 650s do the trick? if you were using a video card that didnt pull much more than mine it be fine for sure

i dont remember mine ever pulling more than 650 form the wall...i just dont recall how much power those 980ti's pull especially when overclocked? i imagine it pulls more than my 280x...so thats what concerns me
Edit i just checked [H] power draw reviews for both cards....the 980ti should draw a few watts less than mine (say 48 watts) so the 650 actuality could be ok;)

Last edited:
yea..750-850 gets my vote for over clockers...and yea get a new one...those older power supplys were bad for using cheap Chinese caps...and i bet your efficiency is below 70% by now..now would one of those new evga 650s do the trick? if you were using a video card that didnt pull much more than mine it be fine for sure

i dont remember mine ever pulling more than 650 form the wall...i just dont recall how much power those 980ti's pull especially when overclocked? i imagine it pulls more than my 280x...so thats what concerns me
Edit i just checked [H] power draw reviews for both cards....the 980ti should draw a few watts less than mine (say 48 watts) so the 650 actuality could be ok;)
Thanks. I see a lot of power consumption charts that are paired with more efficient processors/less cores so it's really hard to tell. Using the outervision calculator and just keying in an overclocked xeon by itself, it says it pulls in a load wattage of ~260w. That is insane. I might just grab a 650w and see what happens. What are you using to measure your total pc watts?

I was using one of those outlet meters from home depot. The subject of power consumption has come up before and my idle results matched what others were getting (so i imagine it was pretty accurate) Also 260w by itself is no problem since the 980ti only draws another 300w...hell nothing else in the pc really draws much power

I have a X5660 @ 4ghz and an EVGA 980Ti @ 1404 with an EVGA 650 watt gold PSU 2 SSD and 5 120mm fans
I just ran both at 100% load for 8 days 24/7 crunching BOINC, not a problem at all.

I was using one of those outlet meters from home depot. The subject of power consumption has come up before and my idle results matched what others were getting (so i imagine it was pretty accurate) Also 260w by itself is no problem since the 980ti only draws another 300w...hell nothing else in the pc really draws much power
I have a X5660 @ 4ghz and an EVGA 980Ti @ 1404 with an EVGA 650 watt gold PSU 2 SSD and 5 120mm fans
I just ran both at 100% load for 8 days 24/7 crunching BOINC, not a problem at all.
I was planning to get a 650w until I saw this guys video (@ 6:25) where his build pulled over >700w. Got scared so had to find answers. Thanks guys.

well a 650w would not cut it for a 390x or 290x.......a 390 would be a big maybe as it be running near 100%max and an older model supply would surely have issues. Just one nvidia maxwell card would be ok i think cause they draw less power. Thats why IF i could afford it i would go the 750w route just to keep my options open, otherwise it dont matter.

I always felt like your were one of the more experienced members (fuck i bet you were pissed when YOU yourself bent the pins!!) I cant imagine the cuss words that was flying around) GOSH DAM IT TO HELL!!! lol Cause Its not like you didn't fully already know better:wtf:..Everyone can have those days it seems. I have those days at work and at home lol

I don't know about you guys, but the older I get, the more prone I am to messing up hardware. What I gain in knowledge/experience, I lose in eyesight and hand steadiness. The last time I built a computer, I was stooped uncomforably over a case trying to screw in a massive Phantek's heatsink. I remember thinking to myself "I can afford the $50 to have somebody else do this for me".

P.S solaire: The Xeon system in my sig pulls 770w at the wall under load. Like primetime said, a 750w is worth the peace of mind.

I don't know about you guys, but the older I get, the more prone I am to messing up hardware. What I gain in knowledge/experience, I lose in eyesight and hand steadiness. The last time I built a computer, I was stooped uncomforably over a case trying to screw in a massive Phantek's heatsink. I remember thinking to myself "I can afford the $50 to have somebody else do this for me".

P.S solaire: The Xeon system in my sig pulls 770w at the wall under load. Like primetime said, a 750w is worth the peace of mind.
Sounds about right. I found this chart http://s26.postimg.org/a2lhv46qx/2mx2zd2.jpg where he uses a GTX670 2-way SLI. His max was 771w. I only plan on using one higher end card. Seems like AMD cards are more power hungry. Still puzzles me how that one guy on youtube hit >700w with just an overclocked GTX970.

I did a bit of reading and went to the power supply calculator and plugged in the numbers.
Going to swap out a 850 gold to my GTX 980Ti system and put that 650 gold in my dual xeon that runs stock with on board graphics.
It did run ok with the 650G but why push it to the limit while the other PSU is not being utilized.
BOINC does push the systems, better to be safe than sorry.

Sounds about right. I found this chart http://s26.postimg.org/a2lhv46qx/2mx2zd2.jpg where he uses a GTX670 2-way SLI. His max was 771w. I only plan on using one higher end card. Seems like AMD cards are more power hungry. Still puzzles me how that one guy on youtube hit >700w with just an overclocked GTX970.
the cpu/mb's power draw can be greatly effected by overclock and voltages used (50-100 watts variance) could have also just been a fluk power draw spike that wasn't really representative of typical power draw. There are other factors like the efficiency of supply used AND the outlet he got power from could have 109 volt vs 120 volts. A house outlet with really bad voltage drops will cause power usage to be MUCH higher than outlets with perfect voltage levels.-There really is a lot of possibile reasons of what caused the high readings imo

Lower voltage will make the amp draw go up but the wattage should be the same. That is with the same exact load.
Watts = volts x amps. When voltage goes up amps go down, when volts go down amps go up. Still takes 1500 watts to run a 1500 watt heater.
With PSUs and electric motors you have to figure in power factor too. How efficient said device is will determine total wattage you pay for.

Lower voltage will make the amp draw go up but the wattage should be the same. That is with the same exact load.
Watts = volts x amps. When voltage goes up amps go down, when volts go down amps go up. Still takes 1500 watts to run a 1500 watt heater.
With PSUs and electric motors you have to figure in power factor too. How efficient said device is will determine total wattage you pay for.
That right i was thinking in amps/current rather than watts.......BUT I personally wouldn't want higher amps if possible;)

Picked up one of those Asus X58 motherboard/CPU combo's Flecom was selling. Thinking about putting my X5650 in it cause I know it can do 4.4ghz @ 1.325v. My question is, does anyone know if the X5660/70/80 overclock better? Like better clocks with a lower voltage?

If they do I might pick up one of those and keep the X5650 in the Rampage III Gene.

Picked up one of those Asus X58 motherboard/CPU combo's Flecom was selling. Thinking about putting my X5650 in it cause I know it can do 4.4ghz @ 1.325v. My question is, does anyone know if the X5660/70/80 overclock better? Like better clocks with a lower voltage?

If they do I might pick up one of those and keep the X5650 in the Rampage III Gene.

I think they all have the same upper limit potential (4.4-4.6Ghz), but it is easier to achieve with the higher multi CPUs (because you can keep the BCLK under 220mhz). In my (albeit limited) experience working with x58 boards, I have only ever had one that could do more than 220mhz BCLK. Most top out around 200-210mhz.

I think they all have the same upper limit potential (4.4-4.6Ghz), but it is easier to achieve with the higher multi CPUs (because you can keep the BCLK under 220mhz). In my (albeit limited) experience working with x58 boards, I have only ever had one that could do more than 220mhz BCLK. Most top out around 200-210mhz.

Yea I usually leave mine at 200. Hmmm eh might as well just stick with the 5650 then. Would love to get 4.6ghz of course, but sometimes I hate the silicon lottery.

Guys, I am still rocking my x58 setup as you can see in my sig!
I realized the weakest spot on my system is storage. I was wondering if you could suggest a good drive/adapter M.2 to use in one of my PCI-e slots of my Asus Rampage III X58 so I can keep extending the life of my beast. :D
I am even thinking on adding another card for USB 3.0 as I do a lot of transfers from my Camera SD Card and those files can be pretty big and hundreds.
I was thinking about one of those HyperX ones that come with the adapter already built in for PCI-e 2.0
Thanks!

Anyone thinking about a NVME SSD might want to take a look at this:
Lithium's blog: How To Boot an NVME SSD from a Legacy BIOS (non UEFI) w/ Intel 750 Series SSD
In theory instead of a USB thumb drive you could use a secondary SSD or HDD as well, assuming it doesn't have any data to start as it would need to partitioned..
This seemed relevant to your question and would be sweat if it works. About the usb 3...hell yea its nice if you have flash drives or whatever that can operate at those speeds

I think it's time to pass on my x5660 to my nephew.

While it is my favorite system so far to date, and an extremely capable machine at 4.6Ghz (equivalent to a stock 5820k), I managed to score a used 4960x and AsRock X79 Extreme for $400. Is it an upgrade? No. But, I couldn't pass up getting such a good deal.

My ultimate hobbiest dream is to get a used SR2, but they are going for $600 used on Kijiji. That's a bit too rich for my blood.

I have had several of the
Skulltrail
Sr-2
never had the SR-x

But for the money you can build a nice 2p system with the cheap E5-2670's, that is socket 2011 and i think a lot of those
chip prices will keep dropping ... Retail 2011 mobo prices have gone thru the roof, lucky i had one laying around, but the server versions are very cost effective
I think someone pointed me to a board (2P) for around $200 and the chips are $75 on fleebay so for the hart of the system it's $350 and that is 2 - 8 core/16 thread chips.
Intel E5-2670 2.60Ghz 20M Cache 8-Core 115W Processor SR0KX
  • Core Count: 8
  • Clock Speed: 2.6 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency: 3.3 GHz
  • Cache: 20 MB
  • Intel QPI Speed: 8 GT/s
  • Socket: LGA2011
But that is for a hard working system, they are not overclockers. So if overclocking is still in your veins then the SR-2 is a great choice..

good luck in your quest.

Question how do those E5-2670 (non overclocked) or decently priced chips compare to a 4.2ghz Westmere? Media creation that can use zillions of threads is a no brainier...But what about gaming or programs that only max out 4 or so threads. In other words if you wanted a nice performance jump either way im assuming you would need at least a 3.2zhg Sandybridge chip to meat or beat a 4.2ghz westmere. I guess x99 might be a better platform for gaming and productivity since it can overclock.... it sucks cause one is better at this, the other is better at that. I wish those sandy xeons would overclock lol

One other thing I have found, the new CPU instructions can make a big difference to programs that can use them. AVX, AVX2 that are on Sandy bridge and newer.

Here is a list of CPUs I run BOINC primegrid, some examples. It is one work unit per core, I do not use HT for this project.
I am listing model and cores name, time to complete one work unit in seconds. This project takes advantage of new instructions like AVX .
I will try to get some times soon where CPU instructions do not play a part

Here are times with CPUs doing the German Sophie PG WUs and what CPU core name and model number

Opteron 8425 6 core stock 2.4ghz 3359 sec. Istanbul

Opteron 6172 12 core stock 2.1 ghz 3050 sec Magny-Cours

X5650 6 core Stock turbo 2.9ghz 2213sec Westmere

X5660 6 core overclocked 4ghz 1553sec Westmere

E5-2670 8 core stock turbo 2.9ghz 1023sec Sandy bridge

i5-3570s 4 core stock 3.4ghz turbo 852sec Ivy Bridge

i5-4570 4 core stock turbo 3.4ghz 719sec Haswell

I was actually strongly considering picking up a pair of 2670s, but since I live in Canada, the dollar conversion and shipping kind of kills the deal.

Linus from Linustechtips actually mentioned that the Sandbridge Xeon's can be overclocked (I think he got up to 112BCLK), but he was using a single socket consumer board.

In all honesty, it was the x5660 that kind of rekindled my love affair with overclocking. While I have overclocked the 4770k, it was literally only two settings that I changed (multiplier and voltage).

It really is too bad second hand prices for both LGA1366 and LGA2011v1 boards have gone up so much - ebay has some great deals on high core ES Xeons. I lucked out on my most recent purchase with the ASROCK LGA2011 - the seller didn't seem to know (or care) what the value was on the used market.

I have had several of the
Skulltrail
Sr-2
never had the SR-x

But for the money you can build a nice 2p system with the cheap E5-2670's, that is socket 2011 and i think a lot of those
chip prices will keep dropping ... Retail 2011 mobo prices have gone thru the roof, lucky i had one laying around, but the server versions are very cost effective
I think someone pointed me to a board (2P) for around $200 and the chips are $75 on fleebay so for the hart of the system it's $350 and that is 2 - 8 core/16 thread chips.
Intel E5-2670 2.60Ghz 20M Cache 8-Core 115W Processor SR0KX
  • Core Count: 8
  • Clock Speed: 2.6 GHz
  • Max Turbo Frequency: 3.3 GHz
  • Cache: 20 MB
  • Intel QPI Speed: 8 GT/s
  • Socket: LGA2011
But that is for a hard working system, they are not overclockers. So if overclocking is still in your veins then the SR-2 is a great choice..

good luck in your quest.

Hey guys so I am sort of scratching the plans of moving to a new platform for now. I will just get an EVO 850 500GB and use that instead.
Now, I am runinng 12GB. For people using 24GB, did your OC drop a lot in order to be stable with 24GB over 12? This will be using all 6 slots in my case. Plus I will have to get some other memory as I cannot find my cool tracer ram right now :D

Hey guys new to the board. I have a rampage III gene with a e5520 overclocked to 3.9 at the moment. I also have a supermicro x8dtt-f running 2 e5520's in a cooler master haf stacker 915r.

Hey guys new to the board. I have a rampage III gene with a e5520 overclocked to 3.9 at the moment. I also have a supermicro x8dtt-f running 2 e5520's in a cooler master haf stacker 915r.
sounds interesting...put some pic's up of that. You thinking of swapping to westmers?

I ran 48GB and noticed no difference in stability.
I just ordered 32GB of Kingston hyperX Savage to test 24GB first then if all goes good I can try adding my current Crucial 12GB (Tracer LED) and eventually move to 48GB..at least thats my end goal. Wish me luck! :)

PS Got all 36GBs working fine so far. More testing to do but I am happy already :D

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using 16GB Non-ECC DIMMS in their X58 board?

My board only has 3 DIMM slots, and I have 3x8GB in there for a total of 24GB which works fine but its already more that what the manufacturer said it would support. I'm maxing this out quite easily and have thought about doing 3x16GB for a total of 48GB, but I wanted to know if anyone had experiences with this before I coughed up the money for it.

I need to make this system last another year until Skylake-E is out and I can build something with 64GB.

It SHOULD work.....i have yet to here of an actual max memory limitation problem on these board yet.

Do they even make a 16gb non EEC DDR3 stick of memory? I just looked on newegg there is one listed with one review and he said "it did not work."
Then he said " No where did it say it was EEC" so I am thinking it is EEC
Seen question and answer, it is EEC.
And on top of that it was 155$ a stick.
460$ for memory on a x58 system. Better off to get a different board with more memory slots.

Also It is the CPU that can handle the amount of memory, not so much the board. Right?
I do believe the i7-920 can only handle 24gb, the socket 1366 xeons can see a lot more. Up to 256gb depending on type of memory.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using 16GB Non-ECC DIMMS in their X58 board?

My board only has 3 DIMM slots, and I have 3x8GB in there for a total of 24GB which works fine but its already more that what the manufacturer said it would support. I'm maxing this out quite easily and have thought about doing 3x16GB for a total of 48GB, but I wanted to know if anyone had experiences with this before I coughed up the money for it.

You should check the BIOS features, even for EVGA SR-2 (a monster) they made pretty late a bios that accept larger than 4GB sticks.

I need to make this system last another year until Skylake-E is out and I can build something with 64GB.

Check the BIOS features, even for EVGA SR-2 (a monster) they made pretty late a BIOS that accept larger than 4GB RAM sticks

I am in a similar position too. I'd like to do a system build (have existing components other than CPU/Motherboard) but X58 motherboards are selling for high prices and so are good X79 motherboards. I haven't seen prices drop on the higher-clocked X5680/X5690 either so it's a tough decision. I don't want to do X99 because then I would have to throw out my DDR3 memory (or sell it) and buy DDR4.

Any suggestions on what a good price for an ASUS or Gigabyte X58 (preferably a flagship or close to it) would be?

Any of the 16 phase ASUS boards are great and will overclock very well (P6T Deluxe/v2, P6T6, P6T7, P6X58D(E), WS Pro). I haven't had much experience with Gigabyte x58 boards so I really don't know which are best. The P6T Deluxe v2 can be had for around $140-150, the other boards go for more. Be aware that it cannot lock in turbo multipliers at full load, but that can be resolved with a crossflash to a WS Pro or just getting a chip with a higher multiplier.

As far as x79 goes, E5-1650's go for $150-160 regularly so if you get a good deal on a board then that would be a very good option. I was able to pick up a x79 Deluxe for $150 so it was a no-brainer for me. I got lucky and got a very good 1650, I can hit 5ghz at 1.4v, but my cooling really can't keep up, so 4.6ghz at 1.3v is acceptable.

I was hoping to get a Rampage II or Rampage III or Gigabyte X58A-UD5/UD7 series for a Xeon build. I missed some good deals here on an X58 Classified. I've looked at some of the other models you mentioned but haven't really found some good deals. Is X79 a better option especially if I buy a cheap E5 2670 or E5 2680 C2 stepping? I don't see any X79 Deluxe for sale currently so what would be a good equivalent model from ASUS be (other than the Rampage IV series)?

The other problem is that the prices are in $USD. When that's converted to $CAD it becomes alot more so it really drives up the prices. Haven't really decided on the cooler yet but I am thinking about the Noctua NH-D15 or something that wouldn't block the RAM slots. Once I get it up and running I hope to have it for a long-time so I need to plan it right and make sure everything goes smoothly especially as X58/X79 are EOL and more expensive with currency conversion to $CAD.

The Rampage III Extreme is good , but go for more than they are worth imo. It probably won't clock much if any better than the boards I listed above. Unless you need mini ATX avoid the Gene boards as they will clock worse than the ones I listed out (more in line with the P6T/SE).

The P9X79 is also a good x79 board. Most of the x79 boards are pretty good.

If you are gaming, I'd avoid the 26xx's as they are locked. 1650/1660/1680 are all unlocked.

Last edited:
The Rampage II Extreme looks like a more affordable option for a good analog-PWM LGA1366 motherboard as well. I did take a look at the Rampage III Extreme but I am not too fond of a couple of things:

1. How close the PCI-E x16 slot is to the NB heatsink (might make removing video cards especially in SLI/Crossfire difficult)
2. No Port 80 debug (there is Q-LED though)
3. Lack of another LAN port (Rampage II Extreme has it)
4. Hybrid LGA1366/775 mounting holes.

If I was to get a Rampage III Extreme could I use the PCI-E x16 (slot 2) and slot 3 at x16/x16. The manual says that to do x16/x16 I would need to put a graphics card in slot 1 and slot 3 but slot 1 would be especially difficult to remove a video card from especially in a multi-graphics configuration. Also seeing as how there is no internal usb3 header on the motherboard if I use a PCI-E USB3 card in say slot 1 but have the video cards populated in slot 2/3 would I be able to get x1/x16/x16 considering that there is 36 lanes total (and USB3/Sata 6Gbps use some of that lanes on the Marvell/Renesas controller).

From what I understand the P6T Deluxe and Rampage II Extreme have very similar power set ups. It also has dual gigabit, but lacks USB3. The Marvell SATA3 controllers are not very good so I wouldn't worry about that.
Another board to consider if you are worried about lanes is the P6T6 as it has an NF200 chip which brings an extra 32 lanes.

One other thing to consider is PCIE 2.0 vs 3.0. High end cards are just starting to saturate 8x PCIE 2.0 (980ti) so in a few years 16x PCIE 2.0 may cause a bottleneck. 16x 2.0 is more or less the same speed as 8x 3.0

I think it was Bill who already built a newer 6/8 core using a used 2011 socket (and heavy overclock)...If you could make another post with the entire parts list including prices it would be more than great for those starting from scratch. I think were at the point now were we should encourage people to the newer sockets as long as they can get the parts at good prices.

I think it was Bill who already built a newer 6/8 core using a used 2011 socket (and heavy overclock)...If you could make another post with the entire parts list including prices it would be more than great for those starting from scratch. I think were at the point now were we should encourage people to the newer sockets as long as they can get the parts at good prices.

I did as well. :)

But yes, I believe at the current prices 2011 does make more sense if you don't have an x58 board already. 1366 chips seem to be rising in price again, now x5650's are around $75 and x5670's are around $110. At this point it's probably better to spend the extra $50-60 on an E5-1650 with the possibility of going to an unlocked E5-1680v2 if they ever drop in price.

The big problem is the boards which still carry premium, but can be had for under $200 if you're patient. This is also a problem with x58, but good deals are more common.

Edit: Actually there are a few x5670 listings for around $90 and x5660's for $70, so maybe prices aren't really going up.

Last edited:
I'm finally overclocking my X5670 and have found a stable Vcore at 4.2GHz (1.29375V). I now want to use dynamic voltage, however my X58A-UD3R requires setting the Vcore to "Normal" before I can set the offset. My question is, what is the voltage that "Normal" will set? I need to know this before I can calculate the offset.

Is it the value shown on the left (in white)? It seems this is the current value as it changes so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I'm finally overclocking my w5670 and have found a stable Vcore at 4.2GHz (1.29375V). I now want to use dynamic voltage, however my X58A-UD3R requires setting the Vcore to "Normal" before I can set the offset. My question is, what is the voltage that "Normal" will set? I need to know this before I can calculate the offset.

Is it the value shown on the left (in white)? It seems this is the current value as it changes so I'm not sure.
I'm not sure how that board works, but usually the only way to be sure is to set the multiplier to what you'll use and the BCLK to stock and boot into windows, put it under stress take a note of the voltage shown in CPU-Z. Then check your overclocked settings the same way with your static voltage and boosted bclk, then you should have the difference between the two and can input the offset as needed.

I'm not sure how that board works, but usually the only way to be sure is to set the multiplier to what you'll use and the BCLK to stock and boot into windows, put it under stress take a note of the voltage shown in CPU-Z. Then check your overclocked settings the same way with your static voltage and boosted bclk, then you should have the difference between the two and can input the offset as needed.

Hmm so I guess I will also have to take in to account Vdrop and incorrect error reporting by software when doing this?

Also, what would be the benefit of the first reading (setting BCLK to stock and then stressing the CPU)? Shouldn't I be getting the lowest voltage by setting the desired BCLK with x12 multi and letting it idle, then getting highest voltage by seting x24 multi and working the CPU, then working out the difference? Maybe I'm mistaken on what the base voltage is (i.e. is it not idle voltage?).

EDIT: Ah I think maybe it's because I'm overclocking differently - I'm enabling all C-states so that it lowers the multiplier when I want, not keeping a fixed multiplier. Knowing this, would my method of calculating Vnormal and offset be correct?

Last edited:
Back