15" gaming laptop or non-humongoloid 17"

WinterXL

n00b
I bought a 17" gamer laptop about 4 years ago, and am looking to update... preferably to 15" or a slim 17" as the big huge 17" I've been using really is just a bit much. I was looking at the usual Alienware/Sager stuff when I saw the Dell XPS M1530...

It's on the lighter side... 15" @ 1080p, 2.5ghz cpu, 3gb ram, 250gb hd, 8600gt, blu-ray burner. But what gets me is that it's so fracking cheap at like 1700. WTF? A very similarly spec'd Alienware m15x costs over $1000 more!!!

Am I missing something?

Edit: Ah, just noticed an "instant savings" of $500. Must be a special. Spiffy.

I got myself an M1530 when there was a $699 savings and a 4yr warranty w/ CompleteCare about 5 months ago. I haven't regretted it yet.

I'm debating whether to get a 15" or 17". Either will replace my desktop, and since it will be sitting at my desk over half the time, a 17" wouldn't be bad and would be better for gaming and movies, yet the portablibily of a 15" is appealing.

trust me you're not going to move your laptop much, the most you will do is around the house. If you are looking for a portable laptop, you should get a 13 inch m1330 or even better a thinkpad.

For gaming I recommend a 17'', the gateway P series are a really good deal to get the 8800M GTS, alienware costs a crapload more.

The 1530 is also a killer deal, looks sweet, and can handle most of the older games. Don't be expecting to run CoD4 or Crysis on it very well though. There are always specials going on, don't listen to crap like "only this weekend 500 off".

The reason that alienware costs so much more is because they're selling the name..and the case design.

And you disagree because??????:rolleyes:
Because:
a) I've owned the system for over 4 months.
b) I play CoD4 nearly maxed.
c) I play while listening to my WM playlists.
d) All of the above. (correct answer)

Back