$150 GTX460s after labor Day?

griff30

Supreme [H]ardness
Iv'e seen a few $149 deals with MIR on Chief Deals but I was hoping on Labor Day to see a few more price cuts. Anyone see anything?

Iv'e seen a few $149 deals with MIR on Chief Deals but I was hoping on Labor Day to see a few more price cuts. Anyone see anything?

I see prices falling a bit more in a month or two, with the new 6xxx series coming out that should push prices down for GTX 460s, along with every other gaming card (HD5870, GTX480, whatever).

I don't think even SLI will keep GTX 460 MSRP prices up for much longer. The top-end 6xxx GPU is supposed to be ~20% faster than a GTX 480, and it's a single-GPU solution not multi-GPU.

No potential microstuttering
No having to have a mobo support SLI
No having to have a large PSU and good cooling to cope with the power/heat/thermals/noise of dual-GPU

Granted, I don't think the MSRP of a top-end 6xxx chip will be as cost-competitive as $300 GTX 460 SLI; $379 was last-gen's flagship launch price. But you do save the headaches listed above and get Eyefinity for free, and it's unclear how long the $379 price will last, either.

As for single-GPU, Juniper came out at $159 so if its replacement is as fast as a GTX460 and comes out for $159 MSRP, that will put immediate pressure on the MSRP of GTX 460's and thus deals may push it lower. Maybe $140 w/o rebate on a GTX 460. Now that would be a sweet deal!

I see prices falling a bit more in a month or two, with the new 6xxx series coming out that should push prices down for GTX 460s, along with every other gaming card (HD5870, GTX480, whatever).

I don't think even SLI will keep GTX 460 MSRP prices up for much longer. The top-end 6xxx GPU is supposed to be ~20% faster than a GTX 480, and it's a single-GPU solution not multi-GPU.

No potential microstuttering
No having to have a mobo support SLI
No having to have a large PSU and good cooling to cope with the power/heat/thermals/noise of dual-GPU

Granted, I don't think the MSRP of a top-end 6xxx chip will be as cost-competitive as $300 GTX 460 SLI; $379 was last-gen's flagship launch price. But you do save the headaches listed above and get Eyefinity for free, and it's unclear how long the $379 price will last, either.

As for single-GPU, Juniper came out at $159 so if its replacement is as fast as a GTX460 and comes out for $159 MSRP, that will put immediate pressure on the MSRP of GTX 460's and thus deals may push it lower.

If you have a P55 or X58 board most of them already support SLI. Dual 460s don't use much power.

If you have a P55 or X58 board most of them already support SLI. Dual 460s don't use much power.

Yeah for some the GTX 460 SLI will be a cheaper means to get HD6xxx's flagship GPU's performance despite the power/thermals/noise/potential for microstuttering/SLI issues on older games/etc. I'm guessing $140 by Thanksgiving; that would mean $280 for a GTX 460 SLI setup, at least the 768MB version of it. :eek:

Yeah for some the GTX 460 SLI will be a cheaper means to get HD6xxx's flagship GPU's performance despite the power/thermals/noise/potential for microstuttering/SLI issues on older games/etc. I'm guessing $140 by Thanksgiving; that would mean $280 for a GTX 460 SLI setup. :eek:

Yeah. If KitGuru is correct in their recent article we should be seeing them hit $150 soon. If they hit that by Friday when I order my parts going to have some serious considerations to make.

$150 GTX 460 would be quite nice if it's 1GB. I'd like to see a single slot card though.

$150 GTX 460 would be quite nice if it's 1GB. I'd like to see a single slot card though.

That's the dream. Galaxy made a prototype GTX 470 single slot. They probably couldn't warranty something THAT hot. It pains me to see them not do it with a 460, though. I don't think the 460 ran any hotter than the 260, and they did single slot cooling with that.

Can you imagine how small of a system you could build with an i5 750 and some sort of slightly extended mini-ITX with two 16x pci-e slots for SLI GTX 460's? You're talking a 7"x8" motherboard and a case just large enough for one HDD, external USB DVD, a 700W PSU, and an externally attached H50... likely little more than 7"x12"x12". It would be the ultimate 3D Vision (non-surround) box and it would probably cost less than $1,000 plus monitor and glasses.

... DROOOOOOOL. :eek:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1731544/nividia-drop-gtx-460-price

msrp won't drop to $150 but there are deals all the time. I bought mine in July but it came with so many discounts, coupons and bonuses that my final cost ended up being $121.

To be fair, that was a highly unusual situation and they messed up and gave you more of a discount/cashback than you were entitled to, plus you had to use a coupon from a book to get it. I don't think that deal can be reproduced anytime soon, especially since BCB ended, and people can't be counted on to mess up again and give you more back than you're entitled to.

To be fair, that was a highly unusual situation and they messed up and gave you more of a discount/cashback than you were entitled to, plus you had to use a coupon from a book to get it. I don't think that deal can be reproduced anytime soon, especially since BCB ended, and people can't be counted on to mess up again and give you more back than you're entitled to.

I don't think it's the last we'll hear about it either...

Yeah, bing is over though Microsoft did hit at something similar coming soon. There was a $146 card recently though and that had no rebates and came with Metro 2033

Yeah. If KitGuru is correct in their recent article we should be seeing them hit $150 soon. If they hit that by Friday when I order my parts going to have some serious considerations to make.

Actually the article says $30 off possily later this week and indicated 50% off soon?
So like sub $100 GTX460s.
Nice, then Newegg will simply add $70 shipping and Tigerdirect will charge $229 for the card with a never-to-be-seen $90 MIR. :(

Actually the article says $30 off possily later this week and indicated 50% off soon?
Nice, then Newegg will simply add $70 shipping and Tigerdirect will charge $229 for the card with a never-to-be-seen $90 MIR. :(

Tiger had awesome BCB sales rates. And I've always received my BCB for those purchases from Tiger. Can't wait to see microsoft's new cashback program come out! What will they call it though? BCB had a strong brand going and built popularity for their bing search engine just from the strength of that program alone.

What?

Were you reading the same article? Maybe you got it confused with it saying the price drop increased by 50%, from $20 to $30. $70 shipping... :p

What?

Were you reading the same article? Maybe you got it confused with it saying the price drop increased by 50%, from $20 to $30. $70 shipping... :p

Quote "We’re now hearing that the boys in charge don’t think $20 will be enough to stem the tide of the Rise of the Radeons in the DX11 space. Santa Clara SkyNet is looking to declare total war and has increase the price drop by a whopping 50%."
Yeah, I read too much into it.
But $30 price drop on the 1gig model will be nice only to see $40 shipping.
WTF gives with newegg shipping? they can have free shipping on whole computers but shipping for a SSD is $9. WTF? every video card over $400 is free but anything on sale has $15 shipping. Jebus.

I hear the gtx 460s will drop to $29.99, after $150 mail in rebate.

I heard it will also include a puppy! As soon as the puppy grows out of its cute puppy stage, it vaporizes itself. Man, what *wouldn't* NVIDIA do? :D

are they giving puppies to early adopters? i bought my card before labor day. i bet evga will hook me up.

mmmm Let me look into my crystal ball.... hmm... wtf it's not working :confused:

seriously, we are not psychics, and i doubt you saw "a few $149 deals", there was one pricing error where people who ordered did receive their cards

Back