16 gigs of ram?!

So i was playing bf2 last night, and some guy claiming that he worked for some IT tech company said he had 16gigs of ram. Is this guy foreal? Thats ridiculous. The guy had a fx60 and one dual gpu 7800gtx. Sounds like bs to me. :rolleyes: lets c how this works. u got 256mb, 512mb, 1024mb, 2048mb.................................. 16 gigs... things don't jump like that.

I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was talking about either cuz he didn't seem to know what i was talking about when i said did he oc. He said something about a a8n board or something. He also claimed that his 3dmark06 benchmark was listed 7th in the world....

16gigs... coughs.. right.......................... when i said 2gigs was a bit overtop already, this is just... :rolleyes:

maybe with a server motherboard...but thats still 16 1GB sticks :eek:

Allthough 8 2GB sticks sounds more likely...

Unknown-One said:
maybe with a server motherboard...but thats still 16 1GB sticks :eek:

Allthough 8 2GB sticks sounds more likely...
but you can't fit an fx-60 into it, so that's no an option

if he had a board that worked with registered ram (i do think normal s939 boards accept registered ram, but s940 does not accept unbuffered), he can use something like this
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR333D4R25/4G
but damn, paying for 4 of those is just retarded

(cf)Eclipse said:
but you can't fit an fx-60 into it, so that's no an option

if he had a board that worked with registered ram (i do think normal s939 boards accept registered ram, but s940 does not accept unbuffered), he can use something like this
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR333D4R25/4G
but damn, paying for 4 of those is just retarded

Hahaha, no doubt! I guess it's only a matter of time. 5 years from now we'll all be making fun of ourselves for thinking 512MB was enough to run an OS, just like we make fun of ourselves now for thiking 128MB was enough to run an OS in 2001.

Of course, he'd also have to be using a 64-bit OS, and I'm not sure how well WinXP 64 would work with BF2. It would depend on the drivers for his hardware.

I can guarantee this, though, having more than 2GB of RAM does absolutely nothing for your 3DMark score. Heh.

haha, while you're around redbeard, does corsair have any 4gb ddr1 modules? i did a quick check and kingston was the only thing i came up with? :(

I just saw the new 8GB samsung DDR DIMMs at work a couple weeks ago. Funny thing is no one else seemed to care. Oh well, I guess when you work with multi-million dollar machines everyday for years new technology tends to lose its luster.

with 4gb modules, it's likely. Although it's still better than my friend, 'alienware d ual FX 60, ram slot adaptors so i get 8gb of ram, dual quad sli, and a built in projector, in a laptop. :rolleyes:

Bbq said:
with 4gb modules, it's likely. Although it's still better than my friend, 'alienware d ual FX 60, ram slot adaptors so i get 8gb of ram, dual quad sli, and a built in projector, in a laptop. :rolleyes:

lol thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard of. built in projector in a laptop... does it even work well?!

(cf)Eclipse said:
haha, while you're around redbeard, does corsair have any 4gb ddr1 modules? i did a quick check and kingston was the only thing i came up with? :(

I'm honestly not sure. If we did, they'd be server memory.

Redbeard said:
I'm honestly not sure. If we did, they'd be server memory.
yeah, registered and ECC most likely. :(

one of these days i should pick up a set of registered sticks and see if i can get it to work in my s939 rig :cool:

what is ECC memory anyway. Always wondered but never asked b4. I mean all i really know is that they're expensive as hell. :confused:

If your thinking about buying ram and you don't know what ECC means, then you proberaly don't even need it :cool: It's like an extra buffer so it can do stuff better like what servers do. I don't know exactly but goto wikipedia ^_^

ECC memory stores an extra bit per byte of data to guarantee that what's in memory is good. Thats why non-ECC memory is 64-bit and ECC is 72-bit. For every 8 bits, it has an extra, so 64/8=8, 64+8=72 bit ECC. If you look at the ECC memory, for every 8 chips, it has an extra chip. Most non-ECC will have a chip blank, usually in the middle of the stick.

Some memory controllers don't support ECC because it would require the extra traces in the MB and also have the Hamming Code ability buit into the controller itself, as to calculate the parity bit.

16gb of ram isn't that much...

one of my servers has over 1TB of ram ;)

edit: It's also got slightly over 1600 cpu's, and takes up the size of most people's basements

lopoetve said:

edit: It's also got slightly over 1600 cpu's, and takes up the size of most people's basements

Super computers don't count ^_^ :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
...one of these days i should pick up a set of registered sticks and see if i can get it to work in my s939 rig...
I can answer that, at least partially. My HP ECC+Buffered sticks don't work in 939. In fact, they're 100% useless in any of my current computers. If anyone wants them, I'll dump 'em for the cost of shipping. I wanted to build a dual Opteron rig almost a year ago, and then fell into my current financial slump- that idea went down the crapper really fast. :(

Off-topic:
It seems my financial situation is a bit of a roller coaster ride, with highs during the summer months (when I'm away from my friends and computers, and working 60+ hours a week). Ironic, huh? :p

2x256MB HP-branded DDR266 PC2100 ECC and buffered, free to a good home! :D

The administrator of BF2S.com (a stat tracking site) bought a server from iWill to host and manage everything, and it's probably what the OP's question was mentioning.

It has 16GB of RAM and he put in a 7800GT just to see how fast BF2 would load with that much RAM, but he didn't play off of it, it's in a rack server now. 16x1GB for inquiring minds.

This is it:

http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=104&sp=Y

themanwithnoname said:
So i was playing bf2 last night, and some guy claiming that he worked for some IT tech company said he had 16gigs of ram. Is this guy foreal? Thats ridiculous. The guy had a fx60 and one dual gpu 7800gtx. Sounds like bs to me. :rolleyes: lets c how this works. u got 256mb, 512mb, 1024mb, 2048mb.................................. 16 gigs... things don't jump like that.

I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was talking about either cuz he didn't seem to know what i was talking about when i said did he oc. He said something about a a8n board or something. He also claimed that his 3dmark06 benchmark was listed 7th in the world....

16gigs... coughs.. right.......................... when i said 2gigs was a bit overtop already, this is just... :rolleyes:
16GB RAM isn't unrealistic...not impossible at all. What I have trouble with is a socket 939 mobo supporting more than 4BG RAM. I can't seem to find one. I can find s940 mobos all day long that will support 16GB RAM but not s939.

Anyone else find one?

Wolf-R1 said:
16GB RAM isn't unrealistic...not impossible at all. What I have trouble with is a socket 939 mobo supporting more than 4BG RAM. I can't seem to find one. I can find s940 mobos all day long that will support 16GB RAM but not s939.

Anyone else find one?

can't do it. you need registered ram to do that much

lopoetve said:
can't do it. you need registered ram to do that much
I know you need registered RAM to achieve that quantity of RAM.

Is there a s939 mobo that supports registered DDR or is this an issue with the A64 itself not supporting registered DDR? If it does support it I don't see why you couldn't find workstation class mobos with support for 16GB RAM. Then again that's where AMD has positioned their single CPU Opterons at...that would make sense as to why you can find tons of S940 class mobos that support 16GB but no s939 boards that do.

Wolf-R1 said:
I know you need registered RAM to achieve that quantity of RAM.

Is there a s939 mobo that supports registered DDR or is this an issue with the A64 itself not supporting registered DDR? If it does support it I don't see why you couldn't find workstation class mobos with support for 16GB RAM. Then again that's where AMD has positioned their single CPU Opterons at...that would make sense as to why you can find tons of S940 class mobos that support 16GB but no s939 boards that do.

Sorry, I believe it's a limitation of the 939's memory controller. They intentionally did it that way so that you're using specific boards and cpu's for that kind of work.

lopoetve said:

ZOMG WAT R U L33T FPS!?!?!?!?11111oneoneoneeleven!

*sorry had to do it :p*

Yes the guy is BS. Most 939 motherboard only support 4GB of ram and only a very few number, ATI chipset, support 8GB of ram, but none support 16GB. Online gamers tend to want to impress you, hince cheating, and will tell you anything. Im sure every player has a 17 x 100000000Ghz processors, 256TB of RAM, and 1,000,000,000TB of hard drives with 9 x video cards. Also, they all have 19" weaners, or so they think. yack yack :D

Im sure every player has a 17 x 100000000Ghz processors, 256TB of RAM, and 1,000,000,000TB of hard drives with 9 x video cards. Also, they all have 19" weaners
no, not everyone has that.

just me.

My main boxen has 8 gig in it.

I use 4 gig as a ram drive and the other 4 for Windoze64 to use as it likes.
It does make a difference loading games/levels off a ram drive.

Could not afford the 2 gig sticks when I first got the system.

Luck.............. :D

Back