17" Apple Cinema Display

brentsg

[H]ard|Gawd
One of the local stores has the 17" Cinema Display (that is now phased out) for $399. I am very tempted to grab it to use with my PowerBook 12". I know I'd have to use the dumb mini DVI to DVI adapter, plus the DVI to ADC adapter.

Aside from that how is this display? I like the new Apple line better but the 17" is $1k.

B

i have a apple ADC 17" "studio" display. (15s and 17s were studio displays, 20s, 22s, and 23s were considered "cinema" displays) the mac lcds are the highest quality i have ever seen. 399 is a good price for them. i bought mine with my 2002 quicksilver g4 powermac and its great. soon i'll be getting rid of my g4 and investing in a 12" powerbook but keeping the display and purchasing the adc to dvi converter. any mac product is a good investment in my opinion, and the cool thing about these lcds specifically is that they have an amazing way of holding their value. congrats on the PB and i hope the display works out.

I use one at work and it is nice but personally I don't like the 2" bezel around the display and perfer the 1/4" bezel on my NEC LCD

I never liked the 17". It's a bit dim at 250 nits compared to the others like the 20", but you cant get the 20" for that price, so go fer it. If you dont have to have ADC, some of the no name displays are downright amazing. Sony makes a 19" with 400 nits !!! of brightness that really is almost to bright and contrasty...if there is such a thing. :)

The 17 inch apple display is in compusa n10 status and will prob get another price drop next week. Pretty much the stores take a hit each month untill they can sell them. I like how they are selling the 23 for 1200 personaly. I got the compusa near me to give me one for 1000 with the adc adapter. I love it.

Yeah, I'd love that too...

The local store only has a 17 and a 20. The 17 is NIB, the 20 is scratched and used.

B

O yea Counter Strike Source at native 16x10 with 1920x1200 res. So nice.

Id pass on the old type and buy something with a thin bezel, or save up for a newer cinema display.

If you really like the look of it however, go for it..

Yea I don't realy like the wide bezel but with the 23 inch screen it's not like I'm going to put screens next to it or anything(for now). As far as the 17 I mean it's a good screen but it comes down to what you want. I was looking at 17 or 19 inch lcds before I got this. I was going to run 2 19's or 3 17's with thin bezels before I saw the 23 and said F it.

I bagged the idea. If I wanted a 23 or something I'd just buy it. Since I don't need an LCD at all I think I will just hold off.

I have a top of the line 22" Mits CRT so I will just use the 2nd input on that.

Thanks for the input.

B

Sorry to jack the thread, but...
I also have a 17" studio display..I just bought the ADC to DVI converter
and want to use this on my PC on a 9800pro 128mb ver.
My question is (before I open the box)...
Will there be any loss in quality when I use it w/ my pc for the following:
General use (word, internet)
Gaming (nfsu2, nwn, etc)
divx/xvid avi playback
and lastly dvd playback.
That damn adapter was $100 so if I can't return it for a full refund after I find
out this won't work the way I want it to, I'd rather return the thing and
invest in another lcd display and keep this guy on the g4.
Thanks in advance.

legato said:
Sorry to jack the thread, but...
I also have a 17" studio display..I just bought the ADC to DVI converter
and want to use this on my PC on a 9800pro 128mb ver.
My question is (before I open the box)...
Will there be any loss in quality when I use it w/ my pc for the following:
General use (word, internet)
Gaming (nfsu2, nwn, etc)
divx/xvid avi playback
and lastly dvd playback.
That damn adapter was $100 so if I can't return it for a full refund after I find
out this won't work the way I want it to, I'd rather return the thing and
invest in another lcd display and keep this guy on the g4.
Thanks in advance.

Short answer is no you will not loose any quality as the adc adapter is pretty much dvi plus power and usb. You will not be able to adjust the brightness and what not from the pc though. The power button on the screens also does not work through the pc as it is a sleep button on them that is software controlled. On my 23inch one I just have the pc cut it off with energy star after a while. It works fine for me.

Back