1TB Seagate 1TB HD w/ 32MB Cache for $199 (no MIR)

Hurin

2[H]4U
I'm usually a Newegg shopper. But I went to Fry's website to see if I could drive the 30 miles to pick up a 1TB drive for my media-box. And was surprised to find this:

Seagate 1TB SATA 32MB Buffer ST1000340AS Retail Boxed Hard Drive for $199

$199 with reasonable shipping prices. Heck I even ordered it next day in hopes of getting it for my weekend media-box rebuild (Sat Delivery) and still came in well below Newegg's price of $239 even after tax and shipping. Also note that Newegg has the OEM version while this is retail.

Offer only good until 4/8/2008 apparently.

Edit: And of course, I screwed up the title and put "1TB" twice. Lovely. Oh well. =)

This is also available at Frys B&M stores (at least in the LA/OC area).

its weird how on the first page of their friday ad it says 189.99 but on the website 199.99........guess it was a typo

One bummer though. . . I haven't had a chance to spin it up in my media box yet. But just looking at the label, it appears to comes with the problematic firmware on it. So you'll want to apply the update to get all 32MB of the cache working.

I'd guess the non-retail ones from Newegg don't still have the old firmware.

Link to new firmware

its weird how on the first page of their friday ad it says 189.99 but on the website 199.99........guess it was a typo

Not a typo, Fry's in-store can be different with website some times. It happens often on their Friday ads.

hmm guess i'll have to pick myself up a couple then....that or get one at frys one at bb :)

One bummer though. . . I haven't had a chance to spin it up in my media box yet. But just looking at the label, it appears to comes with the problematic firmware on it. So you'll want to apply the update to get all 32MB of the cache working.

I'd guess the non-retail ones from Newegg don't still have the old firmware.

Link to new firmware
Firmware on the drive was confirmed to be the A04 version. Update to A14 went smoothly. Installing Windows now. :D

1TB for $189 is a steal! :) , but I wish I had that much money right now :(

202.34 after tax. No stores in my area had them, I went online and they are backordered. I ordered one, says 1-2weeks estimated delivery time. We will see. Free shipping. Not bad I guess for the drive and still cheaper than anywhere else.

Back