2003 SBS acting funny

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
This doesn't make sense. I have one 2003 SB Server, and a 2000 Server with SP4. Now all of a sudden, it's like all access to the 2003 server has been removed.

If I'm on ANY computer (server or workstation) and try to do a 'net view \\nameof2k3server' I get an access denied error.

If I try and browse to the 2k3 server over network places, I get a "Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect".

WTF?

If I log onto the 2k3 server, it seems like everything is fine. The only obvious things I can see in the Event Viewer is that the FRS is pissed it can't replicate from 2000 server -> 2k3 server

Oh, and I have restarted both servers and restarted DNS on both as well.

The 2003 server has Exchange running on it, and it has all roles assigned to it. The FRS errors have only been happening for the past few days.

There isn't any sort of firewall running on either box (double-checked to make sure).

try to create a new account in the domain controller to see if that account would work ?

not to familiar with SBS myself.

MrGuvernment said:
try to create a new account in the domain controller to see if that account would work ?

not to familiar with SBS myself.

Both are Domain Controllers.

They're both DCs? I'm assuming then that you have two different domains setup because SBS doesn't allow more than just itself as a DC in it's domain, any other server can only be a member. If it's two domains, make sure you have the users setup on the SBS domain because it won't be able to use the ones on the 2000 server's domain.

The SBS server holds all of the FSMO roles. There is only ONE domain. The 2000 server is a DC. SBS does allow more than just itself as a DC. The SBS server was setup as the master-everything. Then, the 2000 server was dcpromo'd into the domain without a problem. It's been running for months perfectly fine. This just started happening in the last few days.

Oh, and here is another weird thing.

"net view \\nameof2k3server" returns an access denied message
but
"net view \\IPof2k3server" works perfectly fine

Just hitting the forums but my question is why the hell are you running that os and not linux ? As for me I run xp pro cuz I game but if I didnt game I wouldnt even touch microsoft

Shane said:
Just hitting the forums but my question is why the hell are you running that os and not linux ? As for me I run xp pro cuz I game but if I didnt game I wouldnt even touch microsoft

Maybe because that is the OS the OP *wants* to run. Don't be a troll. :rolleyes:

Shane said:

Because you no nothing of large network infrastructures and multi-million-dollar resort management systems. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a DNS issue. Make sure the DNS records on all your non-SBS machines are pointing to the SBS box. Also, make sure the SBS machine has 127.0.0.1 as it's first DNS server. For all boxes, make your router (or ISPs DNS if you have a static ip) the secondary DNS servers.

Pixeleet said:
Sounds like a DNS issue. Make sure the DNS records on all your non-SBS machines are pointing to the SBS box. Also, make sure the SBS machine has 127.0.0.1 as it's first DNS server. For all boxes, make your router (or ISPs DNS if you have a static ip) the secondary DNS servers.

Everything is setup as so. When going through the DNS, I did find a few odd issues and remnants of old temp servers that are long gone. I'm going to take a crack at the DNS later when I can down the server.

You haven't, per chance, turned on the SP 1 firewall on the SBS 2003 server have you? If you have, you may want to go back through the role wizard to make sure you have the right ports open.

FRS errors, if they are not DNS related, tend to be caused by RPC port communication issues. When you run dcdiag, is it reporting any issues?

You don't have a Norton firewall installed do you now? I've seen those disrupt domain communication.

Back