20pin => 24pin?

Misadventure

Limp Gawd
This is probably a dumb question, is there such thing as 20pin to 24pin adapter? I have a power supply that I wanted to use but the motherboard needs a 24pin.. the psu/case is proprietary so there isn't a way of changing it.

What are my options?

You can get an adapter, or you can just plug the connector into the board. AFAIK, you arn't required to have those 4 extra pins connected.

If the extra 4 pins are required and the power supply doesn't have it or doesnt come with an adapter, you're going to have to change the motherboard or case/PSU. Regular power supplies have a 20 pin connector plus an additional 4-pin connector but putting them in a 24 pin connector the motherboard is not how you make it work. Like I said, change the motherboard or PSU/case.

BTW, what's the model numbers on those parts?

Well, if you need an adapter, you can get them at Fry's pretty cheap. Just make sure you check them out. When I looked, they were mislabeled, so that the 20->24 pin connectors were actually 24->20 pin connectors.

z-lite said:
If the extra 4 pins are required and the power supply doesn't have it or doesnt come with an adapter, you're going to have to change the motherboard or case/PSU. Regular power supplies have a 20 pin connector plus an additional 4-pin connector but putting them in a 24 pin connector the motherboard is not how you make it work. Like I said, change the motherboard or PSU/case.

BTW, what's the model numbers on those parts?

its an antec aria with a biostar tforce 6100/410.

Taken from AnandTech:
The layout is clean and the TForce 6100 even supports 24-pin power supplies. 20-pin connectors from older power supplies will also work. An even bigger surprise was momentary power and reset switches on the board - and detailed in the manual

Looking at the 3rd picture, it has a 4-pin connection behind the USB ports and to the top left of the heatsink holder. So connect the 4-pin connection from the PSU to that and the 20-pin connection to the 24-pin connector (should fit by aligning it all the way to the left or right)

Back