215TW or Gateway FPD2185W

Magice

Limp Gawd
I have rounded my decisions down to these two monitors. I mostly game.. Which one would be better in all? 215TW or The gateway also are the Dells better? It seems nearly everyone has one.

I would have bought the 215TW if it wasn't 16:10 format, it's a damn fine screen. That'd be my suggestion.

PixyJunket said:
I would have bought the 215TW if it wasn't 16:10 format, it's a damn fine screen. That'd be my suggestion.

...every widescreen (computer) lcd is 16:10.

OP, get the samsung. And dont fall for Dell's cheap crap.

I thought these were the same panel but I see that the brightness is 350 cd/m2 for Gateway while the Sammy is 300 cd/m2 brightness. Response and contrast ratio are the same I think. If you decide on the Gateway check to see if it includes the DVI cable.....it may not. I know the Sammy does.

I like the 215tw very much but coming from a NEC fe2111sb CRT I can say the CRT does a better job in keeping up. Playing FEAR for example, the spray from the sub-machine gun is finely and cleaning represented while with the Sammy it is somewhat less so. To be fair, had I not just moved from a CRT I might not have noticed. My guess is that the Sammy and Gateway are gonna be the same with regard to games. If you are a big time gamer, stay with the CRTs. Otherwise it looks like they are very similar panels with the Gateway a bit brighter (which is not necessarily good in my book.....LCDs are bright to start with). BTW, don't want to appear to put the smackdown on these panels....they do very well with other games but less so with the fast paced FPSs.

Greenwit said:
I thought these were the same panel but I see that the brightness is 350 cd/m2 for Gateway while the Sammy is 300 cd/m2 brightness. Response and contrast ratio are the same I think. If you decide on the Gateway check to see if it includes the DVI cable.....it may not. I know the Sammy does.

I like the 215tw very much but coming from a NEC fe2111sb CRT I can say the CRT does a better job in keeping up. Playing FEAR for example, the spray from the sub-machine gun is finely and cleaning represented while with the Sammy it is somewhat less so. To be fair, had I not just moved from a CRT I might not have noticed. My guess is that the Sammy and Gateway are gonna be the same with regard to games. If you are a big time gamer, stay with the CRTs. Otherwise it looks like they are very similar panels with the Gateway a bit brighter (which is not necessarily good in my book.....LCDs are bright to start with). BTW, don't want to appear to put the smackdown on these panels....they do very well with other games but less so with the fast paced FPSs.

The Gateway does NOT come with a dvi cable, unfortunately.

If you'll mostly game maybe you should look into other panels, there's many reports of people noticing bluring (rather than ghosting) when turning around in fps games with the 215TW. There's also the dreaded input lag wich you may or may not get or notice. Unless you really need the video inputs, you should look at other monitors.

Shaman said:
If you'll mostly game maybe you should look into other panels, there's many reports of people noticing bluring (rather than ghosting) when turning around in fps games with the 215TW. There's also the dreaded input lag wich you may or may not get or notice. Unless you really need the video inputs, you should look at other monitors.

At least half of my gaming is done on my 360 which is connected to a 50 inch plasma. If I was a serious FPSs gamer I'd probably just run dual monitor mode connecting both the Sammy and NEC fe2111sb to my 7900 gtx. I don't know how many widescreen panels can give you both the image quality and speed of the 215tw. With LCDs you gotta make a compromise somewhere.

BTW, when I described the differences in imaging between a CRT and LCD playing FEAR, you need a *fast* system to notice it. I wouldn't have noticed much of any difference in my old rig which is a 3ghz/1 gig mem/x850xt system. With a e6600/2 gig mem/7900 gtx system it's a whole different story. It's like playing two different games.

I am a fairly serious and decent gamer, and I have NO issues with my 2185FPD, and that is after trying several LCD's and having 2 21" Trinitrons......this Gateway is the first LCD I have actually LIKED for gaming.....no, it is not as good as the CRT was, but it's damn good and it does not weigh 75lbs either... :eek: :D No ghosting, just slightly less black levels....

It's better for text though...far better...

I have a gateway FPD1960 and its terrible for gaming, tears all the time and the colors are rather dull, no bleeding though so idk

if it tears, put vsync on man :rolleyes:

i have looked at both the sammy and the gateway, ill be getting the gateway. First, it looks a lot nicer. second it has the 4 usb plugs on the side and bottom. and third, the adjustable stand on the sammy was jerky and hard to move. on the gateway, it was silky smooth.

im waiting for them to come down in price though. 500 for it is too much for me.

I have the 215TW.

I like it, and haven't had any problems with mine. Games look great, everything else is pretty nice too. I looked at the gateway as well, but got the Samsung.

Positives

+Absolutely amazing for text/web/graphics (im a photographer on the side, its awesome for photoshop and photo-editing, great colors)
+Brightness and Contrast ratio are excellent
+1680x1050 widescreen is nicer on 21.5" than on 20". Vertical heighth is a lot better on a 21.5" than the Dell (or other 20").

Only a few little notches against it though....

-speaker is useless (its like a headphone speaker thats overblown, awful sound, good for windows "dings" thats about it)
-Component inputs brightness not that great. Playing my 360 is blurry and dark, no matter what setting (720, 1080) is chosen. Brightness and contrast are all the way up.
-Price, it is a little high, but if you use your monitor for alot of text/photo viewing, its worth the cost

Back