22" or 24"? Opinions needed.

tripleT

n00b
I noticed that a lot of the popular LCD model here are 24". I wanted it a 24" for my new built until I went to Circuit City and check out the LCD's in person. Is it me or does the 24" screen size seems a bit over killed? 20" is are ok but I think the 22" screen is "just right". I will be using it mostly as a monitor for web surfing, some photo/video editing. Maybe light gaming too. Am i giving up anything good but moving down to 22" screen size such as no "full HD" 1080p support? I tried surfing on the 24" and noticed that the text and everything else is tiny. A lot of the space on the left and right of any webpage seem wasted. Is this a case of "bigger is not neccessarily better"? Please advise based on ur experiences, thanks!

I would personally look for a 24.

They say all of 22 inch LCD monitors only have TN panels, TNs are ideal for gaming because of the Low response (Milisecond delay) time, but it sacrafices color for this strong performance. My logic is, why pay money for a new display screen for worse color quality compared to whatever you had.

So i would look for a good performing 24 inch panel, it's bigger too!

I have a Lenovo L220X and a NEC 20WMGX2 together - obviously much wider than a "too-wide" 24". The Lenovo has the resolution of a typical 24" so has a tighter dot pitch. Apparently you'd find the text too small on both of these monitors unless you increased text size, but for me it is fine.

Often I don't really need both monitors, but there are times when I want to spread out or have a couple of large windows. For me this is a good setup.

I would agree with woken and look at 24". I recently got my V2400W and am very happy with the size. Coming from a 17" it is a welcomed change in size. IMO bigger is better:p

I'm using a 19" 4:3 right now, and am contemplating the same thing. I'm thinking a 24" would be the way to go, based on my research, and seeing them in person. My only concern is that 1920x1200 has 75% more pixels than my current 1280x1024, which would trash my GPUs performance. If I got a 22" I could probably keep my current card no problem, but a 24" is just so beautiful........ damn tradeoffs! lol. However, if gaming performance with the display is not of concern, then you don't have too much to worry about.

But it seems to me that your own opinion is more important- if you think 24" is too much real estate, then go for the 22".

Yeah, I'm wanting a 24" so I can use it for games and TV in my room and get rid of my bulky TV sitting on my bench. However I'm also worried it'll be too big for general web surfing. Usually with bigger TVs you sit further away from them, but with bigger PC monitors you generally sit the same distance away, so the bigger you go the more "brain frying" they'll be.

I'm considering getting a 24", and via the nvidia control panel running it at 1680x1050 with 1:1 pixel mapping while doing general work on the PC, then turning up to full screen when doing games, TV or CAD work. Though that seems to defy the point of getting a 24", as it'll be running at ~22" most the time.

I'm running a 27" display (Samsung 275T) and it's awesome, absolutely the best monitor I've ever used. I wouldn't trade it!

Having the extra res is great. The biggest thing you have to get used to is that you don't necessarily want every window to be maximized. For example, you can easily surf multiple web pages at the same time side by side... 22" is cheaper though...

I highly doubt you will regret getting a 24" display unless you don't really have enough room for it on your desk.

Yeah, I'm wanting a 24" so I can use it for games and TV in my room and get rid of my bulky TV sitting on my bench. However I'm also worried it'll be too big for general web surfing. Usually with bigger TVs you sit further away from them, but with bigger PC monitors you generally sit the same distance away, so the bigger you go the more "brain frying" they'll be.

I'm considering getting a 24", and via the nvidia control panel running it at 1680x1050 with 1:1 pixel mapping while doing general work on the PC, then turning up to full screen when doing games, TV or CAD work. Though that seems to defy the point of getting a 24", as it'll be running at ~22" most the time.

Exactly my point. As I was surfing the web using the 24" on display in store, I found myself moving my head ever so slightly as I was reading the text on various websites instead of just moving my eyeballs across the screen because the screen is so wide. I tried to adjust the resolution using the GPU's control panel down to WSXGA resolution of a 22" and I noticed that the text got a lil bit' blurry due to non-native resolution?? Also, my desk and my room isn't that big so I need to take that into consideration too. BTW, I will either go for a T240HD or T220HD. I saw the 19" monitor version and thought that the horizontal viewing angle/clarity/color/look was very good compared to the other brands. I guess Samsung does make some really nice TN panels just like their popular Touch of Color LCD TVs which alot of reviewers are raving about. You gotta give it to Samsung. I mean they came out of Korea not long ago and have created some very impressive and innovative products. The quality/design and innovation of Samsung products are great. I wouldn't be suprised if they surpass the 400 lbs gorrila that is Sony in the next decade or two. But that's what Sony get for bringing to market crappy stuff like the "Rollie" mp3 player or that expensive robotic dog that most ppl can't afford. Sony quality have been going down hill lately. I got two Sony TVs and they are dying in less than 5 yrs. I mean this is Trinitron TVs we are talking about. Sony was king when it came to TVs. Not anymore...I'm getting a series 7 Samsung 52" LCD on monday after I junk the fairly new Sony. But i digress.

Ever think to sit a few more inches back from the screen?

My 24" is 1080p native, hdmi compatible. Cant beat that with a stick.

Dont be cheap, your monitor will last you for years of upgrades and it sucks to have the "should of's"

-dave

PS I dont have to move my head to read the [H] and im perfectly happy with the text size. In the store your not sitting down and are more likely to sit to close to the screen.

I got a 24" upgraded from a 15" flat. Of course I thought the 24" was huge and Im actually returning it and may get a 22". 24" is good if its gonna double as a tv. Also my 24 was a TN for around $300 - unfortunatley youll spend at least double for a non-TN but as other posters have pointed out it may be worth it.

Ever think to sit a few more inches back from the screen?

My 24" is 1080p native, hdmi compatible. Cant beat that with a stick.

Dont be cheap, your monitor will last you for years of upgrades and it sucks to have the "should of's"

-dave

PS I dont have to move my head to read the [H] and im perfectly happy with the text size. In the store your not sitting down and are more likely to sit to close to the screen.

The only difference between a 22" and a 24" was 100 dollars. I DID ordered a 24" but it got damaged on the way to here and FedEx returned it to sender. So i went to test out the screen at the store and noticed that the 24" was too big for my taste even when i moved back. Anyway, i ordered the T220HD and it should be here in one piece this week..i hope.

Back