23 23.6 and 24 all same resolution. which is better? confused D:

j0j081

Gawd
I am desperately trying to pull the trigger on a new lcd. I don't have a lot lot of money so I'll probably be getting one of the inexpensive Asus screens as this will primarily be used for gaming. One thing that is making my decision more difficult is there are 3 sizes 23, 23.6, and 24 that all run at 1920 x 1080. I feel a 23 inch would probably be plenty large enough for me as I'm using an old Samsung crt at the moment but which of the 3 will actually have the best picture quality? Instinct tells me the 23 inch because the pixels will be the smallest. Are the other two just wider for the most part or do they add height? Thanks.

"Picture quality" is hardly dictated by dot pitch alone. You'll have to take into account that a smaller dot pitch and thus smaller pixels will mean smaller "everything". If you do a lot of reading on your monitor when you aren't gaming (IM'ing, reading forum posts, news, etc.), a smaller dot pitch might be too much of a strain on your eyes in the long run. My current 19" monitor has a dot pitch of 0.294 mm, so I'll probably have trouble adjusting to a monitor with a dot pitch of, say, 0.24 mm. I personally wouldn't go smaller than 24" for that resolution - 26" would probably be more my thing. What you prefer is a completely different matter, though, so my best advice would be to see them in real life before buying. If you can't see the monitors in a store, another option (if you can afford it) is to buy both the 23" and the 24", figure out which one you want and return the one you don't want for a full refund.

Do a bit of Googling (or Bing'ing if you're into that, ho ho) on the monitors and read some reviews. This website is great for comparing monitors: http://www.digitalversus.com/. I don't know the model names of the monitors you're looking at, but maybe you can find them in the list.

I'm sure some of the brainier folks in this section will mention several other factors you should consider before pulling the trigger, though ;)

I think the dot pitch on the 23 is 2.66 on the 24 it is 2.7 and on the 23.6 its 2.72. Why is it higher on the 23.6 than the 24 inch?

It should definitely be smaller. From where have you gathered this information?

for the Asus models I'm comparing both newegg and Asus's official site list them as such. Is it possible the 23.6 model has more vertical space?

I believe those 23", 23.6" and 24" are all the same sizes since they have the same resolution. Brands, websites sometimes list things slightly differently. The next smaller 1920 x 1080 LCD monitor would 21.6".

For example, my 26" NEC 2690WUXi and 26" Planar PX2611w are sometimes listed as 25.5" or 26". The LCD panel is actually 25.5" measured diagonally.

I believe those 23", 23.6" and 24" are all the same sizes since they have the same resolution.
Not true. I had an Asus 23.6" VH242H and an Acer 23" H233H side by side and the acer was noticeably smaller. I measured them and they were exactly 23.6" and 23" diagonally.

It is the spacing between pixels in the panel essentially. Take two 24" monitors for instance, a proper 1920 x 1200 resolution vs a 1920 x 1080 "HD". The dimensions of the panels are the exact same only the first one has to cram another 120 pixels to the vertical count. That increasing the pixel density in the same footprint thus lowering the pixel pitch. Makes sense?

1920x1080res = 16:9 ratio and better for Gaystation or movies but not a [H]ard PC Gamer :D 1920x1200res is where it's at for PC's, well 5760x1200res is where [H]ard Gawds game, that's three 24" in Eyefinity :eek:

But seriously the 1200res vertical height is much better for web pages and stuff, you can see more without scrolling down, and in games you get more height :)

It is the spacing between pixels in the panel essentially. Take two 24" monitors for instance, a proper 1920 x 1200 resolution vs a 1920 x 1080 "HD". The dimensions of the panels are the exact same only the first one has to cram another 120 pixels to the vertical count. That increasing the pixel density in the same footprint thus lowering the pixel pitch. Makes sense?

ACTUALLY NOT TRUE AT ALL 1920x1200 lcd screen are LARGER especially vertically ( usually an inch or more vertical) as compared to a 1920x1080 screen which is shorter vertically and perhaps a bit wider. Everyone sees 1080 P and goes nuts but the truth is two 24 inch panels one with 1200 and one with 1080 are not the same dimensions, youre getting less vertical and stretched wider, sorry but you still have black bars when watching movies and now youve lost an inch or more of vertical size to your lcd. Sadly this doesnt look good especially when web browsing but there are plenty of people out there who get sucked into marketing hype, those of us with 1920x1200 panels KNOW YOU ARE GETTING SCREWED

Movies comes in several different widescreen format. 16:9 is one and 2.35:1 is another, but there are many more than just those two...

Back