23" Cinema Display or Philips 230WP7NS?

kenpas

n00b
Hello!

I have been looking for a new 23-24" display. I almost got myself Apple 23" Cinema Display, but then I learned that Philips 230WP7NS is using exactly the same S-IPS panel. According to tftcentral.co.uk the panel in question is LG.Philips LM230WU3. Philips display offers more connections which makes it more attractive for me.

Question is: same panel equals same image quality, right?

Well, that's hard to say. Implementation could make a difference. I'd go with the Phillips because the Apple's are too damned expensive. They charge so much more compared to comparable models from other manufacturers.

One might think that using same panel would lead to same end result. But it might be different too. Apple could use different components. Maybe that's where any possible differences come from. Anyway, Philips offers more for a PC user because of more connections (both analog and DVI), on screen menus, scaling options, color settings etc. Apple doesn't have much controls on displays, only brightness adjustment. Mac people do the adjustments on software. Philips is also cheaper, even though price difference isn't that big.

But Apple Cinema Display looks so much nicer... :)

If you have an ATI card, I'd stay away from the Apple Cinema Display. I tried one a couple of weeks ago and it wouldn't display an image during the POST. It would only kick in once Windows initializes it. After searching around, it seems that it is in fact a problem with the Apple LCD and ATI cards. (I have an x1900xtx -- not sure if it affects all cards.)

Ah yes - that is one of my worries with Apple displays. Lot of PC users have reported that POST screens (like bios and dos prompt) cannot be displayed at all. I have Nvidia card, but I would rather not risk this possibility. This is not a problem for Mac users, since Mac doesn't have POST screens.

Another reason to leave Apple Cinema Display alone is that it only has one input. I have Windows workstation and Linux server and I'd like to connect both of them to same display.

Well, I contacted Philips customer service and asked about the panel model. They could only tell it is S-IPS, but had no information about exact panel model. :(

I am probably going to get one anyway as it seems to be best available display for me.

The Cinema Display works fine with nvidia cards, it's just ATI cards that have the issue as near as I can tell. I have an ATi support ticket trying to get them to fix this issue. If anyone else who has had this problem can post a similar ticket on their site we might get this fixed with a card bios update.

the sony sdmp-234b also uses an s-ips panel, which i believe is the same as the phillips (lg/phillips panel)...i think the updated apple CDs use a different ips panel, but i'm not sure about that...

the sony is an older monitor and sony is discontinuing pc monitors (other than for their all in one models i believe)...i just purchased one of these monitors for $750 USD, which i think is a relatively decent bargain...

until i get a new video card i'm running this through an nvidia fx5200 through VGA and it still looks good...

Back