24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

You would most likely have to fiddle around with the Advanced Timing under Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rate, until you get it to work.

I just finished reading all 107 pages of this thread. It took me 3 days. I have a sunburn from sitting too close to this monitor. I think it's time to push it back on my desk a little and turn the brightness down.

I can't wait to download some HD content and try it out, but I need a new video card first. I'm using onboard video on an Intel D845 motherboard.

This monitor was the first in my total system upgrade. I'm going conroe in a few weeks
Ribs

ribs1 said:
I just finished reading all 107 pages of this thread. It took me 3 days. I have a sunburn from sitting too close to this monitor. I think it's time to push it back on my desk a little and turn the brightness down.

I can't wait to download some HD content and try it out, but I need a new video card first. I'm using onboard video on an Intel D845 motherboard.

This monitor was the first in my total system upgrade. I'm going conroe in a few weeks
Ribs
:D :D you brought a smile to my face :)

One thing thats awesome about this monitor is (its size duh) that it is big enough to watch movies comfortably on my couch thats about 8 feet behind my desk. (dont have to be sitting in my comp chair, or hook up a TV to the comp, like i did with my 19")

I'm looking to buy a FW900, and was wondering if anyone has bought one from this seller? Or can anyone recommend a seller that sold them a quality FW900?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought my FW900 back when this thread was only 20 pages.....

I got a May 2002 unit from the orignal eBay seller. It arrived in pefect condition (except for the included VGA cable which was destroyed in shipping thanks to the monitor sitting on it).

My only thing with it is this....

When its first powered on after being offf for a few hours the brightness appears to be turned WAY up. Even if I turn the brightness all the way to 0 it still looks over-bright. After about 15-20 minutes the brightness settles down and my normal of 26 brightness looks good again.

I know this is normal operation for most CRTs, however I'm wondering if there is a way to at least lessen the effect. Would screwing around with the G2 value help in any way?

yea stevewm i have similar effect turning it on when the monitor has been completely off for long period of time, just set windows to make the monitor go into standby mode after a X amount of time (instead of manually turning it off), and no matter how long u leave it in stanby it wont have those negative effects your talking about.

I have windows make my monitor go into standby after 2hrs, and whenever i come back to it the picture is perfect. I rarely turn my monitor off completely, only if im gone for X amount of days.

I'm still having ghosting problem, les say I have my mouse I can see several white shadows of it, barely notisable but I see it. It can't be the monitor because all icons cast a shadow and it follows the mouse so it's not burned in. I bought a vga cable from radioshak and I don't think it helps, I move the monitor away from the area and it works fine. This is something that will require some strategic planning. I don't have the extra realstate, the monitor is in a corner then the hallway is there, the pc table is next to it, and the subwoofer is hidden between the monitor and the small sofa, this is a medium size apartment.

You know what be funny a 30inch CRT pc monitor from sony, can you immagine how much it would weight. Now that's hood rich.

ellover009 said:
You know what be funny a 30inch CRT pc monitor from sony, can you immagine how much it would weight. Now that's hood rich.

Back before the plasmas got better blacks, my dream TV was this 40" Sony XBR HDTV tube:

KV-40XBR800

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_WEGA_KV_40XBR800/4505-6481_7-9453304.html

304 lbs :eek:

Split the difference between the 24" and the 40" and that would make a guesstimate of a 32" CRT tube at about 200lbs. :eek:

I'm more than likely going to get one of these beauties and I as curious to know something:

When I was testing one at work, the "ACS" button switches it to a 4:3 aspect ratio which is definitely a nice feature for those games that don't support it, but is there any way to save the calibrations and settings for the widescreen format so the 'reset' button switches it right back to the way it was? Right now it seems to completely ignore all the settings I had which means if I use the ACS button I have to go back and recalibrate the monitor for my widescreen settings again.

When I was messing with the one at work I didn't see any setting to do this so I figured I'd ask here. Also, is there any way to minimize moire on the screen? Using checkeMON there was a bit of it noticable and I know it happens with all CRTs, but I figured it was worth asking as well.

Ryle said:
yea stevewm i have similar effect turning it on when the monitor has been completely off for long period of time, just set windows to make the monitor go into standby mode after a X amount of time (instead of manually turning it off), and no matter how long u leave it in stanby it wont have those negative effects your talking about.

I have windows make my monitor go into standby after 2hrs, and whenever i come back to it the picture is perfect. I rarely turn my monitor off completely, only if im gone for X amount of days.
I usually turn it off and live with the washed out look for 15 minutes or so. This thing uses a large amount of electricity, heh.

GreenMonkey said:
Back before the plasmas got better blacks, my dream TV was this 40" Sony XBR HDTV tube:

KV-40XBR800

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_WEGA_KV_40XBR800/4505-6481_7-9453304.html

304 lbs :eek:

Split the difference between the 24" and the 40" and that would make a guesstimate of a 32" CRT tube at about 200lbs. :eek:

I've had one of these 38" widescreen tubes for a couple of years. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005BIB8/102-9423601-7459314?v=glance&n=172282

Totally sucks to move it. Not as bad as that 300lb. 40" Sony but it's still 215lbs. I am planning on a second FW900 for my house. I still love mine at the shop.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
saber07 said:
I usually turn it off and live with the washed out look for 15 minutes or so. This thing uses a large amount of electricity, heh.

Same here, Ill turn it off in the morning before I goto work and turn if off before going to bed everynight , I only leave it on if im gonna be around the house during the day (its set for screen saver after 20 minutes).

Anyone ever notice how much BRIGHTER (Contrast) the screen is if you use a 4:3 resolution such as 1600x1200? (have to be sure the black bars are present on the sides to notice it), Im sure this is due to the crt gun only having to focus on the center but I just thought it was worth noting, Would of been great if it looked like that when using widescreen resolutions.. it reminds me of how my 21" G520P looks when using the Dynamic brightness setting.

mathesar said:
Anyone ever notice how much BRIGHTER (Contrast) the screen is if you use a 4:3 resolution such as 1600x1200? (have to be sure the black bars are present on the sides to notice it), Im sure this is due to the crt gun only having to focus on the center but I just thought it was worth noting, Would of been great if it looked like that when using widescreen resolutions.. it reminds me of how my 21" G520P looks when using the Dynamic brightness setting.

You know, I was at first disappointed in this monitor because of this. I was playing Oblivion Xbox360 on my Dell P991, and Oblivion doesn't support 4:3 (it stretches 16:9 image) so I had to set my monitor to 1280x720 and squish the picture so it would display a true 720p sized screen, and it looked phenominal because the guns only had to work on a 14x8 inch picture. I didn't realise this at first, because I was so accustomed to my P991 image. I thought "Shit, I got a fugly one or this monitor has nothing on my dell." It wasn't until I was setting my fw900's picture that I decided to reduce the image size down the the smallest possible and it looked just as good as the dell at that tiny frame.

saan44 said:
I'm more than likely going to get one of these beauties and I as curious to know something:

When I was testing one at work, the "ACS" button switches it to a 4:3 aspect ratio which is definitely a nice feature for those games that don't support it, but is there any way to save the calibrations and settings for the widescreen format so the 'reset' button switches it right back to the way it was? Right now it seems to completely ignore all the settings I had which means if I use the ACS button I have to go back and recalibrate the monitor for my widescreen settings again.

When I was messing with the one at work I didn't see any setting to do this so I figured I'd ask here. Also, is there any way to minimize moire on the screen? Using checkeMON there was a bit of it noticable and I know it happens with all CRTs, but I figured it was worth asking as well.

Use PowerStrip or your driver's controls to make a slightly different resolution for 4:3 gaming...

SH1 said:
Use PowerStrip or your driver's controls to make a slightly different resolution for 4:3 gaming...

Also, there is an adjustable cancel moire control. (But it softens the picture...)

What's really annoying is when the monitor can't tell the difference between 1920x1200 and 1600x1200. At the same refresh rate the vsync and hsync rates are the same, and the screen can't tell the difference. I tweak my 1920x1200 mode up to 90HZ in the NV control panel to avoid this.
Other than that I haven't run into much trouble aside from 1680x1024 vs. 1280x1024 on rare occasions. Fortunately there aren't too many games around where the best mode I can run them is is 1280x1024... if my vid card can't handle 1600x1200 I'll take 1280x960 over 1280x1024, so I only use it if the game beats up my hardware, doesn't support widescreen, and doesn't offer 1280x960.

GreenMonkey said:
Um, these are CRTs, they don't have DVI

I have a 21" IBM CRT monitor with a DVI input. Not sure if it actually makes any difference since it's still an analog monitor but just because it's a CRT does not mean it cannot have that input connection. I'm guessing it just uses the analog lines in the DVI connection like a DVI to VGA adaptor for a video card does.

I have a question about the aperture grill lines on the fw900, the first line is about 2 1/2 inches from the top but the second one is only about 1 inch below the center of the screen is that the way its designed? Seems like that second line should be lower.

Athlon 64 [email protected]
Evga 6800GT 400/1100
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
1GB PC3200 XMS Corsair
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300gb
Fortron Bluestorm 500w
Sony FW900 24 inch CRT :D

husker4life said:
I have a question about the aperture grill lines on the fw900, the first line is about 2 1/2 inches from the top but the second one is only about 1 inch below the center of the screen is that the way its designed? Seems like that second line should be lower.

Yep thats the way it was designed, mine is the same way.

I know it's a few weeks later but here are some pictures from my setup with this monitor.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Not to burst anyones bubbles, I just found this monitor where I work for sale for $34, it's used of course, but I checked it out and it's in perfect condition. I should be bringing it home tomorrow. :)

Okay I checked the website again and our Reno, Nevada store has a few in stock in the $35 price range, you will pay alot for shipping but hell it's not bad. Most of them say case scratched which just means it might have minor scratches on the case itself, and not the screen. Here's the link to the site http://www.redemtech.com/webstore I dont like giving it out much because it has alot of great deals that I don't wanna miss out on but I figured what the hell. So check it out, and good luck.

Hi guys,

Happy FW-900 owner here for several months now.

Anyways, a question...

I currently hook my 360 and computer up to my monitor by just occasionally swapping out the VGA cables whenever I want to use either one. Im going to buy a VGA to BNC cable soon so I can keep my 360 plugged in full time and not have to mess with it.

I am planning on getting the PS3 later this year... I haven't heard about VGA support (sounds like it may not support) but I know component to vga cables exist which should hopefully solve that. If I want to say hook both the PS3 and 360 up at the same time to the monitor via VGA.. is there any type of splitter or VGA switch I could use that would allow them to both be hooked up at the same time and I woulden't have to plug and unplug all the time?

thanks

MixManSC said:
I have a 21" IBM CRT monitor with a DVI input. Not sure if it actually makes any difference since it's still an analog monitor but just because it's a CRT does not mean it cannot have that input connection. I'm guessing it just uses the analog lines in the DVI connection like a DVI to VGA adaptor for a video card does.

o rly

Hadn't seen a computer CRT with DVI.

Squill said:
Okay I checked the website again and our Reno, Nevada store has a few in stock in the $35 price range, you will pay alot for shipping but hell it's not bad. Most of them say case scratched which just means it might have minor scratches on the case itself, and not the screen. Here's the link to the site http://www.redemtech.com/webstore I dont like giving it out much because it has alot of great deals that I don't wanna miss out on but I figured what the hell. So check it out, and good luck.

:eek:

Squill said:

Fuck I'm a retard.

I went to the store and there was one in stock for $35. I went to order it and it told me it failed to give me a shipping quote so I decided to wait til tmw for the quote........and it's allready gone. Even if they decided to charge $300 shipping it would have still been a lot cheaper then ebay.

<------ stupid me

Alcohol said:
Fuck I'm a retard.

I went to the store and there was one in stock for $35. I went to order it and it told me it failed to give me a shipping quote so I decided to wait til tmw for the quote........and it's allready gone. Even if they decided to charge $300 shipping it would have still been a lot cheaper then ebay.

<------ stupid me

I got mine for $300 shipped off ebay :p

Squill said:

How much is for shipping for these monitor from the site?

I was able to just pick mine up since I work here, but when I was ordering it I think what I saw for the shipping price was anywhere from $150-200. And yes I do believe they deliver to residential addresses. I'll probably be bringing mine home today (hope I can fit it in the back of my corolla), when I do get it home I'll send pics and let you know if I find anything wrong with it.

well not sure whats going on, but the Columbus location is selling them for 405$ without shipping... maybe this 35$ was a special at Reno or Richmond...

Ok I just bought the HP version off ebay.
Here!!

Hope it turns out ok.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hatorade> whos the girl :eek:

I want to get one, I'm just afraid my desk will snap from the weight. VERY nice looking monitor.

Back