24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

z3r0- said:
hatorade> whos the girl :eek:

I want to get one, I'm just afraid my desk will snap from the weight. VERY nice looking monitor.

Bianca Beauchamp. If you want the wall paper and various others just pm me.

Ryle said:
well not sure whats going on, but the Columbus location is selling them for 405$ without shipping... maybe this 35$ was a special at Reno or Richmond...

It's not so much that they had a 'sale' or a 'special' it's more like the guys that do the pricing at Reno and Richmond don't know what they are doing. I know the guy that does the pricing here in Richmond and he always makes shit cheaper then it really could go for. Not on purpose tho, he just doesn't care to much I think lol.

So how would this monitor compare to something like a dell 2407fwp? pros/cons of each? the price of this sony monitor is of course, attractive (making the assumption that it would be in perfect condition bought used).

I "won" another one on ebay. Won is in quotes because I keep getting losers. First one had a AR blemish and some scratches on the screen. Invisible while playing xbox, but a major pain in the ass while browsing online and working in Word. The seller refunded me some money so it ended up only costing me $199 shipped.

A friend liked the monitor and didn't give a shit about the blemishes and the scratches and offered to buy it off me for what I paid. Great, I thought, now I get to buy a better one. Okay so this one has no scratches on the screen and not a single AR blemish, in fact, it doesn't even have any AR! This thing is like a fricken mirror. Ontop of that it also has "specks". I guess they are dead phosphors? They look like little black dots. None of them are close together. And if this was the only problem, it would be an issue. But the picture on this thing looks a little fuzzy. Its a 2000, so it's probably showing it's age. Although this one has a better brightness/black level than the refurbed 02 I got, so maybe it's due to it not having an AR coating?

Oh yeah, and odd thing, it doesn't have the Sony logo on the front of the case either. Did these things undergo a redesign at one point? Or do you think someone buffed off the AR and the Sony?

But here's the thing that's got me real worried about this monitor. In less than 10 minutes of first powering it up, it click off and the power light flashed Orange (failure!). But, it powered off and on again with no problem. I definately am not keeping this thing for $525 shipped. I'm really wishing I would have just got a 2407WFP right now. I'd probably would have had the same amount of problems, but atleast it wouldn't have been such a bitch to unpack and repack.

Kudos to Viper GTS for going beyond the call of duty and fixing my HP version of the FW900 monitor... He was even nice enough to completely calibrate the color at the same time. Now it's nice and crisp at 65 brightness in a complete dark room, the colors are vibrant, the whites are white, and even the lowest grey gradients show perfectly! It's a hell of a lot better looking than when I first got it. Thanks! Cheers!

Now to spend the night watching DVDs. :D

wxkid23 said:
Hi guys,

Happy FW-900 owner here for several months now.

Anyways, a question...

I currently hook my 360 and computer up to my monitor by just occasionally swapping out the VGA cables whenever I want to use either one. Im going to buy a VGA to BNC cable soon so I can keep my 360 plugged in full time and not have to mess with it.

I am planning on getting the PS3 later this year... I haven't heard about VGA support (sounds like it may not support) but I know component to vga cables exist which should hopefully solve that. If I want to say hook both the PS3 and 360 up at the same time to the monitor via VGA.. is there any type of splitter or VGA switch I could use that would allow them to both be hooked up at the same time and I woulden't have to plug and unplug all the time?
thanks
A simple component to vga cable will not work. Component cables do not carry H&V syncs, whereas VGA do and need them. You'll need a transcoder to do that, and they are around $70. The one i'd recommend is the x2vga2. www.x2vga.com. But i'm not sure if any transcoder currently out will do 1080p. Not that i really matters for ps3 games, beause you won't be seeing much of that and at any time soon.

mathesar said:
Anyone ever notice how much BRIGHTER (Contrast) the screen is if you use a 4:3 resolution such as 1600x1200? (have to be sure the black bars are present on the sides to notice it), Im sure this is due to the crt gun only having to focus on the center but I just thought it was worth noting, Would of been great if it looked like that when using widescreen resolutions.. it reminds me of how my 21" G520P looks when using the Dynamic brightness setting.
Just increase your DRIVE_MAX value to 255, already. lol!

Foe-hammer said:

To do this you need all that WinDas stuff right? I've read you need an adapter, interface card, connectors etc. plus the program itself. Is this true? And where the heck can I get all of that stuff aside from the program?

Foe-hammer said:

Yea I suppose I should give that a shot eh, I currently dont have the cable but ill give it a go when I get it back (should be soon).

And/or try upping C_MAX_B_MAX, i'm curious to see what results other people have. Foe-hammer said it didn't work when he tried it so i'm a bit confused. Theres no question it boosted my contrast bigtime.

can any of you explain what I need to change those settings and where I could possible get them? I'd love to know what you are all talking about :/

I just received my FW-900 today for 389.25 shipped. The screen is absolutely flawless. The gray bezel has two or three small cosmetic flaws (little paint chips on top of bezel) even though the Ebay ad states "no cosmetic flaws." I think I read in these thread about someone using a gray Sharpie to mask the cosmetic flaw(s)? I'll see if I can find the correct color Sharpie tomorrow after work. BTW, this monitor is one heavy SOB.

Foe-hammer said:
A simple component to vga cable will not work. Component cables do not carry H&V syncs, whereas VGA do and need them. You'll need a transcoder to do that, and they are around $70. The one i'd recommend is the x2vga2. www.x2vga.com. But i'm not sure if any transcoder currently out will do 1080p. Not that i really matters for ps3 games, beause you won't be seeing much of that and at any time soon.

I'm still looking for a cheap transcoder to hook up one of my spare PS1s, soon-to-be-spare Gamecube, etc to my fw900. Still waiting, a deal will come around somehow.

GreenMonkey said:
I'm still looking for a cheap transcoder to hook up one of my spare PS1s, soon-to-be-spare Gamecube, etc to my fw900. Still waiting, a deal will come around somehow.
A new cheap transcoder will give you a cheap image.

Unless you know what you are doing and make one yourself.

Foe-hammer said:
A new cheap transcoder will give you a cheap image.

Unless you know what you are doing and make one yourself.

If I want a good quality gaming image I'll go sit out in the living room with my DLP projector/receiver/etc. :D

This is just for an occasional hour or two of play in the daylight when the baby's napping :D

Hello, I'm a new User of a FW900. I got it to work with windas. But ist not so good. The contrast is weak. I only changed G2 vom 113 to 90. ( befor the screen was very green and had green retrace lines)
Now my question: Can anyone send me his windas dat-file form a good FW900? So I can check it.
Thank you for your help.
FW900Fan

Hey i was wondering, I currently run everything at 1600x1000... alot of games only support 1600x1024, is this true 16:10? i have to manually set 1600x1000 in many games through config files.

and also theres 1680x1050, which iv read is also 16:10 but it isnt a option in my display properties, only 1600x1000 and 1600x1024.

what is the best? 1600x1000, 1600x1024, 1680x1050?

FW900Fan said:
Hello, I'm a new User of a FW900. I got it to work with windas. But ist not so good. The contrast is weak. I only changed G2 vom 113 to 90. ( befor the screen was very green and had green retrace lines)
Now my question: Can anyone send me his windas dat-file form a good FW900? So I can check it.
Thank you for your help.
FW900Fan

Not every FW900 is going to have the same values in the dat file ..especially when it comes to convergence & geometry (for example the G2 value on my FW900 is at 157 and the black levels are good) so it might not be a good idea to use another persons .dat ,of course you could always revert back to your original dat file... Anyhow if you wanna take a look at mine here ya go: Link

If the contrast is weak even with it maxed out you could try increasing the DRIVE_MAX value in windas , Foe-hammer changed his to 255 and says it looks much better for him.

Ryle said:
Hey i was wondering, I currently run everything at 1600x1000... alot of games only support 1600x1024, is this true 16:10? i have to manually set 1600x1000 in many games through config files.

and also theres 1680x1050, which iv read is also 16:10 but it isnt a option in my display properties, only 1600x1000 and 1600x1024.

what is the best? 1600x1000, 1600x1024, 1680x1050?

Yea I dont have a 1600x1000 or 1680 either but 1600x1024 is available .. 1600x1000 and 1680x1050 are both proper 16:10 resolutions according to this tool: http://andrew.hedges.name/experiments/aspect_ratio/

Personally I just use 1600x1024 , I doubt we'd actually notice the differance between say 1600x1000 vs. 1600x1024 ;)

Today I got to hook up my monitor to see all its glory. However, the top-right of the screen has some bleeding (colors are distorted), but the rest of the screen is flawless. I've tried correcting the problem with Image Restoration and degaussing, but to no avail. Does anyone else have.had this problem? If so, were you able to correct it? Are there any menu options available that could correct the problem?

Just got this monitor today because of these forums and i have to say THANKS!

This is a real gem of a monitor.

Quick question though.

Is there a good tutorial website that helps with this Windas thing? Like where to find the hardware etc for using the software?

Worsin said:
Just got this monitor today because of these forums and i have to say THANKS!

This is a real gem of a monitor.

Quick question though.

Is there a good tutorial website that helps with this Windas thing? Like where to find the hardware etc for using the software?

There is a site that tells you how to install the program, but doesn't give you much info on where you can get the cables and what not. Good luck getting that info I've asked a few times on this thread, no answer =(

I've got an issue with my monitor though. It seems that after I started using my BNC-->VGA cable (which plugs into a DVI-VGA adapter, my monitor seems to go into sleep mode or something, I have to turn it off, then on again to get it working again. This happens at random times. I loaded the driver via windows bulit drivers. Anyone know what could be the issue. I can't really use my VGA because I'm using that for my 360.

kaluminati said:
There is a site that tells you how to install the program, but doesn't give you much info on where you can get the cables and what not. Good luck getting that info I've asked a few times on this thread, no answer =(

I've got an issue with my monitor though. It seems that after I started using my BNC-->VGA cable (which plugs into a DVI-VGA adapter, my monitor seems to go into sleep mode or something, I have to turn it off, then on again to get it working again. This happens at random times. I loaded the driver via windows bulit drivers. Anyone know what could be the issue. I can't really use my VGA because I'm using that for my 360.
All the info you'd ever need about winDAS is in this topic. It's just as easy for me to look back through these pages as it is for you. And because i'm to lazy to go back and look for it, it will be up to you.

If you have any question after you have search this thread, then feel free to ask.

Foe-hammer said:
All the info you'd ever need about winDAS is in this topic. It's just as easy for me to look back through these pages as it is for you. And because i'm to lazy to go back and look for it, it will be up to you.

If you have any question after you have search this thread, then feel free to ask.

I have gone through this thread. Everyone talks about WinDas quite a bit, but I was unable to find any post mentioning where they got the cables/adapters. I know there are a lot of people who have them, and a simple explanation of where they got them, would suffice. Maybe that's more difficult than I assume, and I may have overlooked a post or 2. I'll keep trying.

You're too nice, Deetox. lol

And you won't be disappointed; winDAS is the way to go for fixing almost anything picture wise. It will give your fw900 a good color vibrancy and contrast boost kick in the pants.

Quick question, I just got the HP version and so far it is flawless. However the screen needs repositioned and stretched. Typical I know. Anyhow, is it ok to adjust before the warmup period? Or should I wait for that?

PS. Man this thing is heavy. Good thing I'm still young with a good back.

Sta!nless said:
Quick question, I just got the HP version and so far it is flawless. However the screen needs repositioned and stretched. Typical I know. Anyhow, is it ok to adjust before the warmup period? Or should I wait for that?

mine is always abit big vertical, after it warming up it fits the screen perfectly.

ur prolly gonna need to ajust, its been in a truck viberating for long time. lol

curious what res you running at?

Ryle said:
mine is always abit big vertical, after it warming up it fits the screen perfectly.

ur prolly gonna need to ajust, its been in a truck viberating for long time. lol

curious what res you running at?

Yeah I've tried a few resolutions and so far everyone I do, I have to readjust the screen size and location. I've rebooted several times already and It comes out perfect, just the way I left it. And I can't believe how they packed this thing in the box. Just awesome!!! Right Ryle..And I'm running 1600x1000@85 which is fine for me now as I just got off a 19"VX922 with a res of 1280x1024 native. The only problem I'm having is getting the refresh rate to stay put when I get into a game. It's not the monitors fault though.

Sta!nless said:
Yeah I've tried a few resolutions and so far everyone I do, I have to readjust the screen size and location. I've rebooted several times already and It comes out perfect, just the way I left it. And I can't believe how they packed this thing in the box. Just awesome!!! Right Ryle..And I'm running 1600x1000@85 which is fine for me now as I just got off a 19"VX922 with a res of 1280x1024 native. The only problem I'm having is getting the refresh rate to stay put when I get into a game. It's not the monitors fault though.

The ATI Omega drivers have a refresh rate override program for games bundled...ATI tray tools? I used that to do refresh rate overriding.

Well unfortunatly I'm running a 7800GT. I tried NVhardpage to try and force the refresh rate, but it's not sticking. I've restarted and tried it again even to no avail. I even tried reforce and that didn't help. In windows everything is fine. Any other ideas?

Sta!nless said:

Give it the half hour/plus it needs to warm up...

Sta!nless said:
The only problem I'm having is getting the refresh rate to stay put when I get into a game. It's not the monitors fault though.
My favorite lil program to override refresh rates is ReForce. Its very popular among gamers, first thing listed in google for reforce is Gotfrag. Very simple to use no install needed, just run .exe.

Ryle said:
My favorite lil program to override refresh rates is ReForce. Its very popular among gamers, first thing listed in google for reforce is Gotfrag. Very simple to use no install needed, just run .exe.

Ok in a few posts above I mentioned that I already tried ReForce. I couldn't get it to work. I just tried it again..And it worked.!! I couldn't tell you what I did differently but it worked. Thanks!

PS..Thanks Mathesar for posting this one of a kind monitor. And thanks for telling me to stay away from the GDM-W900. Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this great thread.

What is the 'cancel moire' feature in the menu options? And what happens when it's turned on?

I tried watching a couple of DVD's on this thing with an aspect ration of 16:10 and I still can't get it to stretch to the top. I tried VLC, ASUS DVD, and WMP.. I tried all the options that I thought would work. Is there anything I'm missing?

Back