24x256gb SSD's in RAID 0 = 2GBps

Ockie will freakin' spooge when he sees this... :D

The one thing that irks me is... if the IT guy claims 220MB/s for one drive, then 24 x 220MB/s = ... a helluva lot faster than 2GB/s, dude. :)

Yeah, I can't wait for his reaction. He may feel dethroned and have the need to out-do them.

Ockie will freakin' spooge when he sees this... :D

The one thing that irks me is... if the IT guy claims 220MB/s for one drive, then 24 x 220MB/s = ... a helluva lot faster than 2GB/s, dude. :)

could be the limit of the pci-e as 4x card is about 2gb/s if its 2.0 is my guess

They used 2 controllers + onboard ports to get around the ~1000MB/s cap on todays RAID controllers.
Read all the youtube comments :)

And yes we all need to have our PCs fas as this.
Now I only gotta loan 20000$
:D:D

I saw that and was like "epic".

But the dude doing that made me want to do a face palm.

Then there is fact that it said the build took like 24hrs. Come on, can't be that difficult. I hope that was tweaking time, not physical build time.

Haha.

Well I wasn't very impressed considering that they used 3 controllers to obtain these results and had a pretty mediocre build job.

Now color me impressed if they had used one of those new 2u 25 drive chassis with a high end sas controller. I would have also expected to see a better performance metric using that many SSD's. Also, they had to cut the video cards out because to make space for the controllers which then in turn kinda kills any of the other performance components of the machine.

What they should have rather done IMO was show an ultimate gaming rig using reasonable drive numbers and then done an ultimate file server rig using an obscene number of drives.

Link for the 2u 25 drive chassis?

They had to have been maxing out the controllers & pci-express limits. So much wasted potential.

24 drives for 2019 MB/s is only 84 MB/s each. Even the other data point they mention (9 drives for 1 GB/s) is only 111 MB/s each. That's pretty unimpressive.

They did a stupid setup, they should of used multiple raid cards of the same manufacture and same model that also supported spanning the array across multiple cards so it would be one big ass super crazy fucking fast array.

Here are some shots I got from the end of the video.
1.png

2.png

3.png

So who's gonna do the same thing with 10 drives and show them up? Volunteers? ;)

[LYL]Homer;1033827804 said:
So who's gonna do the same thing with 10 drives and show them up? Volunteers? ;)

Its pretty sad that 10 drives could beat them if you had the right raid card(s).

Yea, and they had to rub our noses in it by using 256 gb drives for this instead of 30 gb drives.

Don

Or how about 24 drives x 220 MB/s = 5280 MB/s ? I'd love to see this done like some of those liquid nitrogen cooled overclocked cpu setups - with newer and faster "world records" being set every so often.

I understand Okie's points, but this is the first I've seen 2000 MB/s in action even if they took more hardware than theoretically they needed to do it. And sure it looked a little ghetto, but to me that was very secondary.

Back