$250 - Just PC Gaming Monitor. What to get :(

Bambi

I Cleaned My Room - And I am a Dude
I was going to take the advice of another forum member and purchase and this acer

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-H243H-bm...ctronics&qid=1304027120&sr=8-1&tag=atmlinr-20

but wanted to make sure this is a good choice. I cant seem to find this anywhere in B&M so was wondering if there was something comparable if not, Amazon it is.

GPU 6950.... if that matters anything :p

Trying to stay below 250.00. The lower the better :)

Dont care about viewing angles since I will be mostly pc gaming and sitting right in front. Also with 250 in the title, others may be interested as well.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's really not about viewing angles. IPS monitors simply make TN look like shit.

I'd get the U2311 or similar IPS panel, unless you're going with a 28" TN.

Getting a 24" TN, especially for over 200$ is simply pointless.

FPS games mostly? If so, i can't suggest anything other than a 120hz monitor, hands down biggest improvement and most important factor to consider when getting a monitor for FPS gaming.

Although i believe they start at $350-$399.

Last edited:
FPS games mostly? If so i can't suggest anything other than a 120hz monitor, hands down biggest improvement and most important factor to consider when getting a monitor for FPS gaming.

Although i believe they start at $350-$399.

Are they really?

Well, guess I'll never find out since I'd rather die than give away my 30".

No. Any kind of pc game. I just dont stick to one genre :D

It's really not about viewing angles. IPS monitors simply make TN look like shit.

I'd get the U2311 or similar IPS panel, unless you're going with a 28" TN.

Getting a 24" TN, especially for over 200$ is simply pointless.

THIS!

I would stick with the Acer unless you want to exchange the dell mulitple times, plus there is the whole aggressive AG coating issue.

If you are just playing games and sit in front of your monitor the Acer will be great. Assuming both TN and IPS are calibrated, head on there is little difference in picture quality, don't listen to the hate.

@ OP I would get the acer I have 24" @ 1920x1080 i love it and still to this day its like playing on a little t.v to me.

(@ people not on topic) Who care's As long as it does it job. i cant see spending $400 on a montior just because it is god almighty "IPS" which means nothing to me when am gaming. TN works fine. its not your money the op asked about the montior not a diffferent one...

If you are just playing games and sit in front of your monitor the Acer will be great. Assuming both TN and IPS are calibrated, head on there is little difference in picture quality, don't listen to the hate.

Absolute bullshit, which other people and I, but not you, have personally disconfirmed.

Last edited:
16:10 (1920x1200) 24" IPS is a great monitor that will last you for years - probably 10. I like 16:10 because you can take up 10% of the vertical space on the bottom for controls and still have a 16:9 view of the action.

My choice would be the HP ZR24w or Dell U2410, but they are out of your price range. They do both offer 1920x1080 23" monitors in your range, though. The aforementioned U2311 is nice and the rough HP equivalent is the ZR22w.

Otherwise, I'd go with a 120 Hz TN panel of some kind. But I don't like TN panels.

If you are going to game a ton on this monitor than go for a 120hz TN panel. 120hz panels are the shit for gaming period , anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit. They are a bit more expensive but the difference is completely worth it.

I own a couple of excellent IPS/PVA panels but I always game on my Samsung 120hz panel , the difference is that worth it. ASUS and Acer both have excellent 120hz panels , goto newegg and check them out.

If you lived in hawaii I would sell you my u2311H monitor, i've had for about 3 months. I have 3 of them. dont need it for eyefinity anymore :)

If you are going to game a ton on this monitor than go for a 120hz TN panel. 120hz panels are the shit for gaming period , anyone that tells you otherwise is full of shit. They are a bit more expensive but the difference is completely worth it.

I own a couple of excellent IPS/PVA panels but I always game on my Samsung 120hz panel , the difference is that worth it. ASUS and Acer both have excellent 120hz panels , goto newegg and check them out.

this ! 120hz is so worth it !

this ! 120hz is so worth it !

120hz has its advantages but it's not some miracle thing... If you're coming from a 60hz TN, you'de probably appreciate the upgrade to a 60hz IPS more than a 120hz TN.

Dont buy 1920x1200 for gaming. 1920x1200 is a resolution for work only.

1920x1080 is the obvious choice for gaming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

Just gonna refer to this post (and the anamorphic scaling section in the link provided) to refute this preposterous claim.

If you have your eyes set on a monitor ideal for you, don't hesitate simply because it's 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080. It has the exact same capabilities as a 1920x1080 monitor, and there are no drawbacks in PC gaming :)

Back