26" or 30" what model

Devtron

Weaksauce
atm im looking for a new screen.

I have chosen the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi as the current best 26" screen

but i am ubable to figure out if there is a 30" that gives the same quality if not better.

any recomendations.

I don't thinks so. There seems to be a lot more uniformity issues (clouding, bleed) on the 30" screens. Also the 30" screens lack the A-TW polarizer so show white bloom off angle.

You get more screen real estate, but you pay more and get less image quality.

Edit: Definition of A-TW. Advanced True Wide. Basically an extra polarizar sheet to counter blooming. With this it has the best viewing angle response of any panel on the planet.

Advanced True Wide Polarizer. Polarizer that helps prevent white glow at wide angles

You get more screen real estate, but you pay more and get less image quality.

QFT - this can't be emphasized enough.

The ONLY reason to get a 2560x1600 30" is because you need that resolution. You will pay a quality penalty if you want that resolution. Make no mistake about it. people have already mentioned the a-tw polarizer and how it mitigates the "ips glow" ... similar to backlight bleeding from my observation, but i'm hardly an expert on lcd reviews

however, in my case the real issue is the fuzzy/dirty/sparkle appearance you see across the entire screen. incredibly distracting on light colors. someone said it's attributed to the anti-glare coating used only on these 30" IPS panels (read every single 30" on the market). whatever the cause, the effect is horrible. much more of an issue than the ips glow... at least this is my opinion based on the dell 3008wfp

i don't notice it while gaming (cod4), but i can't stand working in windows or using office apps... my lcd will be replaced soon enough... just waiting to see if the next gen 2560 displays have the same issue. if they do, then i'm getting the LCD2690WUXi. if i were you, that's what i'd get at this point. only reason I'm waiting is because my costs are sunk.

however, in my case the real issue is the fuzzy/dirty/sparkle appearance you see across the entire screen. incredibly distracting on light colors. someone said it's attributed to the anti-glare coating used only on these 30" IPS panels (read every single 30" on the market).

Yes this is another aspect where the 26" NEC will be better than the 30". It has a much cleaner AR coating by all accounts.

I purchased and returned a 30" and I am done with them.

Right now I am waffling about the NEC 2490UXi. Identical to the 26" version but smaller and standard sRGB primaries (which I want). I am also thinking about the just getting a cheap Benq 24" like the G2400W.I know the NEC is better in almost every way but at triple the price? I having a hard time justifying it. Meanwhile my 21" Trinitron soldiers on.

The HP LP3065 is about the same price as the NEC 2690. The finer dot pitch, lower input lag and larger panel of the HP makes it hard for me to justify the NEC.

The HP LP3065 is about the same price as the NEC 2690. The finer dot pitch, lower input lag and larger panel of the HP makes it hard for me to justify the NEC.

Well the 3065 will alsmost certainly have greater screen problems, like clouding and bleed, it will show white bloom off angle, greater screen graininess, it can't run on anything but a computer (no PS3/Xbox, no DVD/Blu Ray players). It has no controls except brightness vrs the 2690s total control of just about everything along with internal 12bit LUT, for pro level calibration.

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to justify.

Well the 3065 will alsmost certainly have greater screen problems, like clouding and bleed, it will show white bloom off angle, greater screen graininess, it can't run on anything but a computer (no PS3/Xbox, no DVD/Blu Ray players). It has no controls except brightness vrs the 2690s total control of just about everything along with internal 12bit LUT, for pro level calibration.

I haven't seen any complaints of excessive backlight bleed nor white bloom. Graininess? It has a dot pit of .25 compared to the NEC's .287? The lack of controls/calibration is valid complaint. It has 3 DVI inputs, why can't PS3/XBox connect, no scalar?

The HP/Dell/NEC all have the same family of LG 30" S-IPS screens. Almost every time a new 30" comes out there are a raft of bleed/clouding issues. I just returned Dell 3007-HC which has the exact same panel as the HP3065 - It had clouding/bleed/dark corner/bright corner. After that the problem still persists but the monitor just doesn't get the same attention. Just like my Dell that is nearing end of life. Still the same issues that it had when it came out, just not worth a mention these days, all the people are concentrating on the issues with the new Dell 3008 and the new NEC 3090. Go look for those threads.

White bloom is not abberation all the 30" screens do this off angles with dark backgrounds glow white. By graininess, I mean the strong Anti-glare coating on the 30" IPS screens. Again they all have this. It looks kind of like a light layers of dust on white backgrounds.

No connection of anything but a computer because it only supports 2 resolutions with nothing in between. 1280x800 and 2560x1600. It may be possible to hook something else up to one of these 30 inchers, but I have never heard of it being done.

I was just pointing out some ways to justify getting the higher quality NEC 2690 instead of the bigger 30" screens. None of those things may matter and the higher pixel count may be something your really want. Lots of people make that choice. I tried to make it myself. If you can make it work, go for it. I wish I could.

But it wouldn't be my general recommendation.

Thanks SnowDog! You gave me a lot to consider. I haven't moved away from CRTs yet and I would like to make my first LCD a keeper like my ViewSonic that I've had for the last 10+ years.

The reason im considering a 30" is the bigger res. but they seam to be worse than my current two TN pannels

also as fare as i can see the current nec 2690 model is two years old, it cant be that in almost two years nothing better has come out, can it ?

The reason im considering a 30" is the bigger res. but they seam to be worse than my current two TN pannels

also as fare as i can see the current nec 2690 model is two years old, it cant be that in almost two years nothing better has come out, can it ?

Sure it can. A lot of "advances" are mostly marketing. IMO the NEC 2490/2690 essentially remain unequaled. Most of the advances lately are in terms of making cheap monitors cheaper.

Thanks SnowDog! You gave me a lot to consider. I haven't moved away from CRTs yet and I would like to make my first LCD a keeper like my ViewSonic that I've had for the last 10+ years.

The step from CRT can be a harsh one. I have bought 4 LCDs and the only one I kept was cheap TN which actually had less issues than the other 3 more expensive ones. I still have a CRT next to it.

Try not to get your hopes up to high on a new LCD. LCDs have perfect geometry and are perfectly sharp, but CRTs do almost everything else better: Black/Speed/viewing angles.

I am wrestling with weather to get an NEC 2490uxi which by many peoples account is the best LCD you can buy, but is over $1200 (with calibration kit because if you go that far, you may as well go all the way) or another cheap TN, A 24" Benq G2400W at under $400.

The TN is vastly cheaper, and faster responding in games, covers most of my needs, but has some vertical viewing angle issue that are a pain when editing pictures. The NEC is a bit slower to react, costs triple the price but has near perfect (near CRT) viewing angles and professional level calibration.

the only reason to get one of these 30" ips panels is for the 2560 res. my advice is to buy from a place with a good return policy. you may have to see it for yourself before you know if these issues mentioned here will be something you can tolerate or not. i think snowdog and i would fall into the group that were not satisfied with the quality of these displays, and are willing to accept less resolution for a better picture. conversely, plenty of people are perfectly satisfied with the quality of these 30" ips and would never trade them for anything. hard to know where you will fall until you experience it yourself in some cases.. maybe this case

the only reason to get one of these 30" ips panels is for the 2560 res. my advice is to buy from a place with a good return policy. you may have to see it for yourself before you know if these issues mentioned here will be something you can tolerate or not. i think snowdog and i would fall into the group that were not satisfied with the quality of these displays, and are willing to accept less resolution for a better picture. conversely, plenty of people are perfectly satisfied with the quality of these 30" ips and would never trade them for anything. hard to know where you will fall until you experience it yourself in some cases.. maybe this case

QFT all around. I love my Dell3007FPW and wouldn't give it up for anything. Monitors are just like audio, some people notice things a lot more than others. I have used both 26" LCDs and 30" LCDs. I can't tell the difference between them 99% of the time. The only time I can see the quality difference is when the monitors are next to each other. The same thing with the back light bleed. I only notice it when it is a black screen, otherwise I never see it.

The there is the issue of fuzzy/dirty/sparkle that lefthanded talked about it. I don't see it, at all, period. I had to look around after I read that because I really had no clue WTF he was talking about.

This is what I would do, buy both a 30" and a 26" from places with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Use them both and see which one you like. You may be like me and not even notice any of the problems with the 30" or you may Snowdog and won't be able to stand them. You won't know until you try them for yourself.

Back