290x CF = How much/big PSU?

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
So I recently got a Sapphire Tri-X OC video card. I'm contemplating building a new rig with two of these cards in it. I have a unused 4770K lying about so I'd use that and OC it. I'm thinking a 1000w psu would do the job but not sure. Never built anything as powerful as I'm contemplating so need some advice. More worried about quality and function over price at the moment.

Basically the build would look something like this:

4770k overclocked (This if I cant wait for new CPUs in June)
2 x 290x Tri-X OC in crossfire
One 1TB ssd OS (overkill but what the hell)
One 2TB hdd Extra storage
Case undecided yet. Obsidian 450D or maybe the Tt Overseer RX-1 (still looking around so could be many fans. At least 4).
1 Optical drive (yeah, old tech but I'd use it)
RAM 16GB (maybe go crazy with 32GB)
3440x1440 21:9 monitor (not purchased yet but soon)

Just need advice on the psu and brand. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Not water cooling. Thinking H100i on cpu and that's it.

Last edited:
I run a Corsair 1200w and my setup is similar to yours. Personally I only go with Seasonic or Corsair. You would probably be ok with any quality 1000w though!

Other than Seasonic:

Evga supernova p2 1000w (Superflower Leadex platform) may be a good match. Check jonnyguru review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=361

I just got the g2 850w for about $121 shipped after rebate at ncixus (which might be just enough power for your system actually) and it seems to be pretty good so far. It didn't solve my GPU coil-whine issue, but it did provide some attenuation.

I love the Corsair power supplies. Just worried 1000w is enough or not. I been reading reviews and personal users and I'm hearing people saying anything from 750w to 1050w. I'm thinking its much closer to 1kw or slightly more.

depends on the rest of the system. 850w is easily within the range of 290x cf with overclocked haswell. fx 8/9 approaching or exceeding 5ghz with 290x cf, at the very least a 1kw psu.

depends on the rest of the system. 850w is easily within the range of 290x cf with overclocked haswell. fx 8/9 approaching or exceeding 5ghz with 290x cf, at the very least a 1kw psu.

Pretty much what I listed above. Archmage got me looking at the evga 1kw psu and evga also has a 1300w that should be more than enough and JohnnyGuru gave it a very high rating.

I love the Corsair power supplies. Just worried 1000w is enough or not. I been reading reviews and personal users and I'm hearing people saying anything from 750w to 1050w. I'm thinking its much closer to 1kw or slightly more.

I used to use them in everything until I saw quite a few go bad in a 2-3 year period. Either way you would likely want 900+ for that build. The 290x are very power hungry. You probably won't ever hit a full load with every device but...

According to Anand, a pair of 290X's in Uber mode draws 727 max total system at the wall so any good 850-1000 would be all you need. The new EVGA G2 models are really superb and just about the best dollar for dollar. I'd pick up one of their 1000 watt G2 SuperNOVA units and you'd be set.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1057

According to Anand, a pair of 290X's in Uber mode draws 727 max total system at the wall so any good 850-1000 would be all you need. The new EVGA G2 models are really superb and just about the best dollar for dollar. I'd pick up one of their 1000 watt G2 SuperNOVA units and you'd be set.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1057

Yeah, I saw that a few days ago too. Just worried about the OCing I plan to do with a 4790k. Basically it comes down to either the EVGA's 1kw or 1300w model. I know the 1300w is overkill but I like feeling safe. :D

Back