2x 7970 or single next gen AMD?

Z

Ziontrain

I run eyefinity 5760x1080..specs in sig. Just wanted some opinions..should I keep the 7970 xfire setup or go for a single next gen card? I get good performance from the setup I have now but I have to downclock the cards because of heat issues.

I am going to be playing BF4 and FF14.

Thanks in advance.

If you get good performance now and are satisfied I would wait it out. Unless you have been bitten by the upgrade bug, in which case I would wait a bit longer to see how the new AMD cards perform, then you can decide whether to go for the new AMD cards or something like a GTX 780, though I'm pretty sure two 7970s should take care of BF4 relatively well. Let us know what you decide, good luck!

I'd definately wait till reviews come in and you see how the cards really run.

Last I heard AMDs Frame Pacing still wasn't fixed for resolutions above 2560 x 1200. If you hang with the 7970s for a while you may see a nice performance increase with driver updates.

there's no way a single next gen card can be faster than two 7970's.. but at the res you're playing I'd grab two R9 290x cards and sell what you have.

Last I heard AMDs Frame Pacing still wasn't fixed for resolutions above 2560 x 1200. If you hang with the 7970s for a while you may see a nice performance increase with driver updates.

Is there an ETA on the frame pacing for eyefinity? I would assume that they would fix it before the new cards are released.

Is there an ETA on the frame pacing for eyefinity? I would assume that they would fix it before the new cards are released.

No they just said they are working on it. I would expect at the latest the fix will be in the R9 launch drivers.

I would wait until the BF4 Mantle patch is released. Mantle will work on all GCN cards so you might see huge performance gains. December is going to be pretty interesting.

watercooling ;)

+1 this.. better temp, better OC, better performance and forget about heat issues.

The HD 7970 OC w/ Boost is a great deal right now if you want to upgrade soon. If not, just wait another month until the new series is available for purchase.

what are you talking recommending a HD7970 when the OP already have 2 HD 7970. o_O.

about the OP i would stick with the 2 HD7970.. already its expected that the R9 290X will perform similary to the GTX TITAN at a similar pricepoint of the GTX780 (just rummors). and its for sure that a 2xHD7970 have much more power than a single GTX TITAN. so unless you planning to go with dual 290X keep that setup and WC it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since cards will be released in the first half of October and it'll take some time for reviews to come in...late October / early November?

For the most part you need to wait for at least 3 revisions before an update starts to makes any sense. A lot of times though, people just want to upgrade. You have to look at the reviews and price it all out to know what is up before you take the plunge. I was disappointed that my 5970 was faster than my 7970. You have to find benchmarks for the games you play vs. the hardware you have now. It was a while ago now but with all the Steam games I was playing at the time, the 5970 in my old Intel 4 core setup with slower RAM and this and that, had a few FPS over the 7970 in my brand new Intel X79 3930k setup with 6 cores CPU and 64GBs of really fast quad channel RAM and so on. I had to get a second 7970 to make it faster and there have been a lot of headaches with the 7970 in general and more so it with X79 mother boards.

I have a hard time resisting myself but if you can, don’t buy anything until it’s been out for 6 months to a year and enjoy the money you’ll save the fewer bugs you’ll have to mess with.

Since cards will be released in the first half of October and it'll take some time for reviews to come in...late October / early November?

If cards are released mid-October, then you will see reviews mid-October. All the quality review sites like [H]ardOCP get cards to review right before we can purchase them.

Keep the 7970s for now. Your best bet is to get an adapter and run the inside card with and Antec 620 or similar Asetek OEM water cooler. I had to do that with my rig. It's ghetto but the temps went from 90 to 58.

87qz.jpg

I give it three days to a week after actual release at the most. People are going to be all over this.

I would wait on mantle 7xxx benches before buying or upgrading anything at this point.

BF4 open beta opens for everyone on October 4th, give your a rig a go and see for yourself....

i'm in the same boat as the op , i have 2 x 7970's in crossfire but i only game @ a single 1080p display and not looking to upgrade the monitor anytime soon....i actually like this IPS monitor that i have now...but i was wondering if it makes sense to swap out my 7970's for 2 R9 290X's just for the hell of it ?!

Last edited:
no it doesnt make any sense to do that at 1080p or really any res for that matter unless you are eyefinity and frame pacing is an issue until that gets fixed, otherwise 2 7970's will be faster than the 290x

no it doesnt make any sense to do that at 1080p or really any res for that matter unless you are eyefinity and frame pacing is an issue until that gets fixed, otherwise 2 7970's will be faster than the 290x

i think @ my res latest drivers fixed frame pacing issues, no ?!

so i should not really bother this gen. right ?

please note my 7970's are @ GHz edition clocks and not gonna ever clock higher than this because they are reference design and then heat and noise becomes an issue if i attempt at higher clocks...

even though the new gen cards look very promising, i don't think i'm going to upgrade any time soon.
My crossfired 7970's should be able to handle any game at max settings for quite a while.

Not to mention AMD's new mantle API.

i'm in the same boat as the op , i have 2 x 7970's in crossfire but i only game @ a single 1080p display and not looking to upgrade the monitor anytime soon....i actually like this IPS monitor that i have now...but i was wondering if it makes sense to swap out my 7970's for 2 R9 290X's just for the hell of it ?!

Thats surely a overkill setup for single 1080P. Even a single 7970GHZ its more power that you need to 1080P gaming... 7970 are made for much higher resolution than 1080P idk why worry about that.

Not true.

a single 7970 will not get 60fps at 1080p on most modern games with 4xAA and all the eye candy on.

Back